all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* vc-diff vs cvs-mode-diff
@ 2004-03-11 15:22 Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2004-03-11 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

vc-diff (C-x v =) uses the foo.~ver~ backup file
(vc-version-backup-file) to avoid network
diffing when the file is available.
cvs-mode-diff (= in *cvs* buffer) does not use this cache.
why?

<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
WHO ATE MY BREAKFAST PANTS?

* Re: vc-diff vs cvs-mode-diff
@ 2004-03-12 13:46 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2004-03-12 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> vc-diff (C-x v =) uses the foo.~ver~ backup file
> (vc-version-backup-file) to avoid network
> diffing when the file is available.
> cvs-mode-diff (= in *cvs* buffer) does not use this cache.
> why?

Because it's two distinct pieces of code.  The PCL-CVS code just blindly
runs `cvs diff <files>'.  Nobody has bothered to write the necessary code
to try and use the foo.~ver~ files when available.

Patches accepted (so long as they aren't too ugly).

* Re: vc-diff vs cvs-mode-diff
@ 2004-03-12 18:14   ` Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2004-03-12 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> * Stefan Monnier <zbaavre@veb.hzbagerny.pn> [2004-03-12 08:46:22 -0500]:
>
>> vc-diff (C-x v =) uses the foo.~ver~ backup file
>> (vc-version-backup-file) to avoid network
>> diffing when the file is available.
>> cvs-mode-diff (= in *cvs* buffer) does not use this cache.
>> why?
>
> Because it's two distinct pieces of code.  The PCL-CVS code just blindly
> runs `cvs diff <files>'.  Nobody has bothered to write the necessary code
> to try and use the foo.~ver~ files when available.
>
> Patches accepted (so long as they aren't too ugly).

how about moving vc-version-backup-file to vc-common.el and loading it
into both pcvs and vc?
(but then it gets hairy because pcvs operates on several files at a time)

BTW, msvc build fails with this message:
image.c(7468) : error C2065: 'PATH_BITMAPS' : undeclared identifier

<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
My inferiority complex is not as good as yours.

* Re: vc-diff vs cvs-mode-diff
@ 2004-03-12 19:53     ` Andre Spiegel
From: Andre Spiegel @ 2004-03-12 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Fri, 2004-03-12 at 19:14, Sam Steingold wrote:

> how about moving vc-version-backup-file to vc-common.el and loading it
> into both pcvs and vc?

The code that handles version backups (file.~ver~) is already in
vc-hooks.el, which is always loaded.  The code to actually use this in a
diff operation is almost trivial, and is currently in vc-diff-internal
(vc.el).

I think it would be much easier to simply duplicate this part in pcvs.
Or else, just move vc-diff-internal into vc-hooks.el and use that from
pcvs.

But how to actually do it is Stefan's call.  I just don't think it
warrants a new .el file.

* Re: vc-diff vs cvs-mode-diff
@ 2004-03-12 21:28     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2004-03-12 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

> how about moving vc-version-backup-file to vc-common.el and loading it
> into both pcvs and vc?

'Cause (require 'vc) would be easier.

> (but then it gets hairy because pcvs operates on several files at a time)

Yes, that's the nasty part (at least, that's my impression which is why
I never tried to implement the feature.  Maybe it's actually not that
difficult, who knows).