all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Delete comments in region
@ 2006-04-22  0:40 Denis Bueno
From: Denis Bueno @ 2006-04-22  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a need, so I thought I'd query the list before writing something.

Does anyone have any elisp lying around that will, in any coding mode,
remove all the comments from the region?

I'd like to get away with not deleting the comments in the buffer manually.

Thanks in advance.

-Denis

* Re: Delete comments in region
@ 2006-04-22  1:05 ` Nikos Apostolakis
       [not found]   ` <mailman.755.1145669452.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nikos Apostolakis @ 2006-04-22  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Denis Bueno <dbueno@gmail.com> writes:

> Does anyone have any elisp lying around that will, in any coding
> mode, remove all the comments from the region?

Isn't "M-x uncomment-region" or "M-x comment-dwim" good enough?

@ 2006-04-22  1:30   ` Denis Bueno
       [not found]   ` <mailman.755.1145669452.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Denis Bueno @ 2006-04-22  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Nikos Apostolakis wrote:
> Denis Bueno <dbueno@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Does anyone have any elisp lying around that will, in any coding
>> mode, remove all the comments from the region?
>>

> Isn't "M-x uncomment-region" or "M-x comment-dwim" good enough?

I now see an ambiguity in my wording I didn't before.

I want to *zap* the comment entirely. Delete the comment syntax and the
text of the comment itself. Not just remove the comment syntax around
the comment text.

However, I figured out one way, but, it doesn't seem like the best way.

;; the following keys should all be entered in succession, but
;; they are commented for ease of viewing
C-x ( ; start macro
M-x kill-comment RET C-x )

;; Then, on the code whose comments need to be zapped:
C-x e e e e e e ;;; as many e's as necessary

@ 2006-04-22  2:53     ` Nikos Apostolakis
From: Nikos Apostolakis @ 2006-04-22  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Denis Bueno <dbueno@gmail.com> writes:

> Nikos Apostolakis wrote:
>
> I want to *zap* the comment entirely. Delete the comment syntax and
> the text of the comment itself. Not just remove the comment syntax
> around the comment text.

Ah! I see.

> ;; the following keys should all be entered in succession, but
> ;; they are commented for ease of viewing
> C-x ( ; start macro
> M-x kill-comment RET C-x )
>
> ;; Then, on the code whose comments need to be zapped:
> C-x e e e e e e ;;; as many e's as necessary

How about

(defun nea-kill-all-comments-in-buffer ()
       "Kill all comments in buffer."
       (interactive)
       (save-excursion
	 (beginning-of-buffer)
	 (kill-comment
	(count-lines (point-min) (point-max)))))

Or slightly more general:

(defun nea-kill-all-comments-in-region (begin end)
       "Kill all comments in region."
       (interactive "r")
       (save-excursion
	 (goto-char begin)
       (kill-comment (count-lines begin end))))

Note that this is not really tested.
HTH,
Nikos

@ 2006-04-22 20:30     ` liyer.vijay
From: liyer.vijay @ 2006-04-22 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Denis Bueno wrote:
> Nikos Apostolakis wrote:
> > Denis Bueno <dbueno@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >> Does anyone have any elisp lying around that will, in any coding
> >> mode, remove all the comments from the region?
> >>

> > Isn't "M-x uncomment-region" or "M-x comment-dwim" good enough?
> >

> I now see an ambiguity in my wording I didn't before.
>
> I want to *zap* the comment entirely. Delete the comment syntax and the
> text of the comment itself. Not just remove the comment syntax around
> the comment text.

If you don't want to REMOVE them but just hide them you could take a
look at Hideshow minor mode which you can use by M-x hs-minor-mode RET

I has some fancy commands to hide/show certain comments.

Cheers
Vijay

* Re: Delete comments in region
       [not found] <mailman.750.1145666443.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-04-25  9:05 ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2006-04-25  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Denis Bueno <dbueno@gmail.com> writes:

> I have a need, so I thought I'd query the list before writing something.
>
> Does anyone have any elisp lying around that will, in any coding mode,
> remove all the comments from the region?
>
> I'd like to get away with not deleting the comments in the buffer manually.

If the comments are always "prefix comments", as in Lisp (the example
below), you can try:

M-x flush-lines RET ^;; RET