all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* egrep error: egrep: /usr/dict/words: No such file or directory
@ 2007-06-19  7:52 David R
From: David R @ 2007-06-19  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi
if I try M-x ispell-complete-word-inferior-frac I get the message which
is the subject title of this thread
If I do M-x ispell-change-dictionary emacs lists about 20 possible
completions

What is happening?
Is this a bug in ispell which I am using via aspell (setq-default
ispell-program-name "aspell")
How can I tell emacs to make ispell-complete-word-inferior-frac look in
the same dictionaries which ispell-change-dictionary looks at?
How can I discover where ispell-change-dictionary looks?

thanks
david R

* Re: egrep error: egrep: /usr/dict/words: No such file or directory
@ 2007-06-19  9:09 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.2405.1182266976.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-06-19  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David R; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 19.06.2007 um 09:52 schrieb David R:

> What is happening?

The value of variable ispell-alternate-dictionary is being used to
complete words.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Globalisation -- communism from above.

* Re: egrep error: egrep: /usr/dict/words: No such file or directory
@ 2007-06-19 15:29 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.2405.1182266976.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-06-19 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 08:52:10 +0100
> From: David R <angel_ov_north@tiscali.co.uk>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
>
> if I try M-x ispell-complete-word-inferior-frac I get the message which
> is the subject title of this thread
> If I do M-x ispell-change-dictionary emacs lists about 20 possible
> completions
>
> What is happening?

This feature needs a list of words, and its default location is
/usr/dict/words.

> How can I tell emacs to make ispell-complete-word-inferior-frac look in
> the same dictionaries which ispell-change-dictionary looks at?

You can't, AFAIK: ispell-complete-word needs an ASCII list of words,
not a hashed dictionary used for spell-checking.

I suggest to look on the Internet for a list of words, download it and
put it in the directory where ispell.el expects it.  One place where
you can find such a list is here:

  http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jlawler/wordlist

@ 2007-06-19 21:54   ` David R
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2418.1182308960.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David R @ 2007-06-19 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

yes this worked thanks
Unfortunately egrep seems to run via a windows cmd shell

My cygwin shell can do a "cd /usr/dict"

Unfortunately the cmd shell need a "cd c:\cygwin\usr\dict"

So I have had to put the words list in a file called words located at
c:\usr\dict
This approach is far from satisfactory but works

Is there any way I tell tell emacs to use egrep through a cygwin shell
not a cmd shell?

@ 2007-06-20  3:09     ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2418.1182308960.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-06-20  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 22:54:07 +0100
> From: David R <angel_ov_north@tiscali.co.uk>
>
> Is there any way I tell tell emacs to use egrep through a cygwin shell
> not a cmd shell?

Try customizing shell-file-name.

@ 2007-06-20  8:48       ` David R
       [not found]         ` <mailman.2465.1182363499.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David R @ 2007-06-20  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 22:54:07 +0100
>> From: David R <angel_ov_north@tiscali.co.uk>
>>
>> Is there any way I tell tell emacs to use egrep through a cygwin shell
>> not a cmd shell?
>
> Try customizing shell-file-name.

I have tried for an hour now
(custom-set-variables
   ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
  '(pr-gs-command "c:\\Program Files\\gs\\gs8.56\\bin\\gswin32c.exe")
  '(pr-gv-command "C:\\Program Files\\Ghostgum\\gsview\\gsview32.exe")
  '(ps-paper-type "a4")
  '(w32shell-add-emacs-to-path nil)
  '(w32shell-cygwin-bin "C:\\cygwin\\bin")
  '(w32shell-dynamic-complete-sync-dirs t)
  '(w32shell-msys-bin "C:\\msys\\1.0\\bin")
  '(w32shell-shell (quote cygwin) nil nil "this was cygwin and egrep
used dos path .now is cmd"))
(custom-set-faces
   ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
  )
(require 'w32shell)
(setq shell-file-name "cygwin")
(setq w32shell-set-shell "cygwin")

yet still in the <tools> menu <w32 shells> are listed in the following
order
cmd
cygwin
msys

* Re: egrep error: egrep: /usr/dict/words: No such file or directory
@ 2007-06-20 18:18         ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]         ` <mailman.2465.1182363499.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-06-20 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 09:48:35 +0100
> From: David R <angel_ov_north@tiscali.co.uk>
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >> Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 22:54:07 +0100
> >> From: David R <angel_ov_north@tiscali.co.uk>
> >>
> >> Is there any way I tell tell emacs to use egrep through a cygwin shell
> >> not a cmd shell?
> >
> > Try customizing shell-file-name.
> >

> I have tried for an hour now
> (custom-set-variables
>    ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
>    ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
>    ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
>    ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
>   '(pr-gs-command "c:\\Program Files\\gs\\gs8.56\\bin\\gswin32c.exe")
>   '(pr-gv-command "C:\\Program Files\\Ghostgum\\gsview\\gsview32.exe")
>   '(ps-paper-type "a4")
>   '(w32shell-add-emacs-to-path nil)
>   '(w32shell-cygwin-bin "C:\\cygwin\\bin")
>   '(w32shell-dynamic-complete-sync-dirs t)
>   '(w32shell-msys-bin "C:\\msys\\1.0\\bin")
>   '(w32shell-shell (quote cygwin) nil nil "this was cygwin and egrep
> used dos path .now is cmd"))
> (custom-set-faces
>    ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
>    ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
>    ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
>    ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
>   )
> (require 'w32shell)
> (setq shell-file-name "cygwin")
> (setq w32shell-set-shell "cygwin")
>

> yet still in the <tools> menu <w32 shells> are listed in the following
> order
> cmd
> cygwin
> msys

Sorry, I cannot help you further: I don't use Cygwin tools.

I can only say that a native Windows port of egrep works just fine
there.

@ 2007-06-20 20:25           ` David R
From: David R @ 2007-06-20 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

ok thanks.  I'll just have to use it as it is.