all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Migrating from Microsoft Outlook to Gnus
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2008 10:20:21 +0200	[thread overview]

> From: Corey Foote <coreyfoote@hotmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 13:43:43 -0500
>
> I'm interested in switching from Microsoft Outlook to an Emacs based email client. I'd be willing to learn Gnus or any other Emacs extension which would make this possible. Are there any resources available for people making this transition?

The Emacs manual is your main friend.  If you decide to go with Gnus
(as opposed to Rmail, which is described in the Emacs manual), you
will need to read the Gnus manual as well.  The Gnus manual is part of
the Emacs distribution.

> My main concern is that Outlook makes it possible to schedule meetings by email. You can create a meeting request and add participants. Each of these participants will then have a meeting added to their calendar within Outlook once they accept the meeting request. This is how I keep my life organized, and I'd be looking for something in Emacs which could duplicate this functionally or at least provided a good alternative.
>
> Ideally I'd like my Emacs based Email client to be able to work with these Outlook meeting requests. That way it would be seamless, and none of my coworkers would have to know I had secretly abandoned Outlook. :-)

The Emacs manual describes the `icalendar' package in the node
"Importing Diary".  It sounds like what you want is supported by that
package; please take a look.