all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: [rudalics@gmx.at: Unquoted special characters in regexps]
       [not found] <E1FDKjx-0000aO-Iq@fencepost.gnu.org>
@ 2006-03-03 12:20 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-03-03 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms, emacs-devel

> Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 18:23:04 +0100
> From: martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at>
> To: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Subject: Unquoted special characters in regexps
>
> Section 34.3.1.1 (Special Characters in Regular Expressions) of the
> Elisp manual says:
>
> *Please note:* For historical compatibility, special characters are
> treated as ordinary ones if they are in contexts where their special
> meanings make no sense. ...  It is poor practice to depend on this
> behavior; quote the special character anyway, regardless of where it
> appears.
>
> The three patches below eliminate spurious occurrences of such practice:
>
> 	* font-lock.el (lisp-font-lock-keywords-2)
> 	* emacs-lisp/rx.el (rx-check-any, rx-check-not)
> 	* generic-x.el (reg-generic-mode): Quote "]"s in regexps when
> 	they have no special meaning.

Thanks, I installed these.

* Re: [rudalics@gmx.at: Unquoted special characters in regexps]
@ 2006-03-03 15:46   ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2006-03-03 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms, emacs-devel

 >>The three patches below eliminate spurious occurrences of such practice:
 >>
 >>	* font-lock.el (lisp-font-lock-keywords-2)
 >>	* emacs-lisp/rx.el (rx-check-any, rx-check-not)
 >>	* generic-x.el (reg-generic-mode): Quote "]"s in regexps when
 >>	they have no special meaning.
 >

 > Thanks, I installed these.

I'm confused that you installed these.  The current thread on this went
in the opposite direction.

* Re: [rudalics@gmx.at: Unquoted special characters in regexps]
@ 2006-03-03 17:26     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-03-03 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms, emacs-devel

> Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 16:46:28 +0100
> From: martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at>
> CC:  rms@gnu.org,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
>  >>The three patches below eliminate spurious occurrences of such practice:
>  >>
>  >>	* font-lock.el (lisp-font-lock-keywords-2)
>  >>	* emacs-lisp/rx.el (rx-check-any, rx-check-not)
>  >>	* generic-x.el (reg-generic-mode): Quote "]"s in regexps when
>  >>	they have no special meaning.
>  >
>  >
>  > Thanks, I installed these.
>
> I'm confused that you installed these.  The current thread on this went
> in the opposite direction.

I don't follow the thread.  I installed that patch because Richard
asked me to.