all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* creating alias-link to file
@ 2006-09-04  9:52 Johannes Quint
From: Johannes Quint @ 2006-09-04  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

is it possible to open a file with find-file-at-point
using an alias?
i.e. i want to open the file ~/a/b/c/d/e/f/g/h.txt" but i want to
open it by
going to the name "xy".
thanks for hints.
j.q.

* Re: creating alias-link to file
@ 2006-09-04 11:08 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-09-04 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: gnu-emacs-help

Am 04.09.2006 um 11:52 schrieb Johannes Quint:

> is it possible to open a file with find-file-at-point
> using an alias?

Yes. Open two dired buffers, one with target directory (includes the
file the symbolic link will point to), one with the source directory
(will contain the sym-link). Create the link with S. (Using H you
will create a hard link, which will make it impossible to decide
which is source and which is target, which needs that both are on the
same partition/volume/slice/file system.)

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

"What is this talk of 'release?' Klingons do not make software
'releases.'  Our software 'escapes,' leaving a bloody trail of
designers and quality assurance people in its wake."

* Re: creating alias-link to file
       [not found] <mailman.6251.1157366620.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-09-04 11:10 ` Hadron Quark
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-09-04 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Johannes Quint <johannes.quint@web.de> writes:

> is it possible to open a file with find-file-at-point
> using an alias?
> i.e. i want to open the file ~/a/b/c/d/e/f/g/h.txt" but i want to open
> it by
> going to the name "xy".
> thanks for hints.
> j.q.

Dont know about aliases, but bookmarks might be useful to you.

@ 2006-09-22 23:03 ` Peter Lee
From: Peter Lee @ 2006-09-22 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > is it possible to open a file with find-file-at-point
    > using an alias?
    > i.e. i want to open the file ~/a/b/c/d/e/f/g/h.txt" but i want to open it by
    > going to the name "xy".

You could use abbrev's.

(define-abbrev global-abbrev-table "xy" "~/a/b/c/d/e/f/g/h.txt")

then:

C-x C-f xy C-x a e RET

or

C-x C-f xy C-x ' RET

I usually use these for common dirs I visit with long paths.

You could probably make it some local-abbrev-table ... specific to the
minibuffer as well... I've never tried that as I don't have that many.

Another option is to use environment vars from find-file.

(setenv "xy" "~/a/b/c/d/e/f/g/h.txt")

C-x C-f $xy RET