all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* spell checking on MS Windows: myspell?
@ 2007-04-24 12:18 Peter Tury
From: Peter Tury @ 2007-04-24 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

how do you spell check on MS Windows? I googled a bit (also this
newsgroup) but didn't find an obvious solution. It seems for me I
would need a spell checker .exe (ispell.exe?) and an emacs interface
(ispell.el?) for it. The latter is part of my GNU Emacs v22. How to
get the first one?

Another relted question: can myspell be used with Emacs smoothly? I
saw a project what made myspell and dictionaries especially good for
my language (Hungarian), so maybe I will need myspell. As far as I
know myspell is part of OpenOfficeXXX so hopefully it is not too hard
to get myspell precompiled binaries. What about an Emacs interface? I
couldn't found myspell.el. Will ispell.el work with it?

* Re: spell checking on MS Windows: myspell?
@ 2007-04-24 16:22 ` Tom Rauchenwald
       [not found] ` <mailman.2467.1177435150.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tom Rauchenwald @ 2007-04-24 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Peter Tury <tury.peter@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> how do you spell check on MS Windows? I googled a bit (also this
> newsgroup) but didn't find an obvious solution. It seems for me I
> would need a spell checker .exe (ispell.exe?) and an emacs interface
> (ispell.el?) for it. The latter is part of my GNU Emacs v22. How to
> get the first one?

You can use aspell <http://aspell.net/win32/> with ispell.el /
flyspell, it worked fine for me on Windows.
Also, check out the wiki-page on Emacswiki:
<http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/InteractiveSpell#toc3>
I don't have my windows-configuration handy at the moment, but IIRC it
wasn't hard to set up.

Tom

* Re: spell checking on MS Windows: myspell?
@ 2007-04-24 17:13 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.2467.1177435150.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-04-24 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Peter Tury <tury.peter@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 12:18:55 GMT
>
> how do you spell check on MS Windows? I googled a bit (also this
> newsgroup) but didn't find an obvious solution. It seems for me I
> would need a spell checker .exe (ispell.exe?) and an emacs interface
> (ispell.el?) for it. The latter is part of my GNU Emacs v22. How to
> get the first one?

You can find a precompiled Windows binary of Ispell and many
dictionaries here:

   http://www.luziusschneider.com/Speller/English/

> Another relted question: can myspell be used with Emacs smoothly? I
> saw a project what made myspell and dictionaries especially good for
> my language (Hungarian), so maybe I will need myspell.

You probably mean Hunspell (a derfivative of myspell), not myspell.

The above URL includes a Hungarian dictionary.  If that is not good
enough, I suggest to try aspell, as someone else suggested.

> As far as I
> know myspell is part of OpenOfficeXXX so hopefully it is not too hard
> to get myspell precompiled binaries. What about an Emacs interface? I
> couldn't found myspell.el. Will ispell.el work with it?

No, I don't think ispell.el will work with myspell without some
tinkering.

* Re: spell checking on MS Windows: myspell?
@ 2007-04-25  6:52 martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2007-04-25  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tury.peter; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 > Another relted question: can myspell be used with Emacs smoothly? I
 > saw a project what made myspell and dictionaries especially good for
 > my language (Hungarian), so maybe I will need myspell. As far as I
 > know myspell is part of OpenOfficeXXX so hopefully it is not too hard
 > to get myspell precompiled binaries. What about an Emacs interface? I
 > couldn't found myspell.el. Will ispell.el work with it?

AFAICT only Ispell and Aspell currently provide the pipe mode used by
Emacs.  Maybe Aspell can work with myspell's dictionaries though.

@ 2007-04-25  9:12   ` Peter Tury
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2525.1177526010.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Tury @ 2007-04-25  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu> writes:

> You can find a precompiled Windows binary of Ispell and many
> dictionaries here:
>
>    http://www.luziusschneider.com/Speller/English/

Thanks, it looks quite promising! I'll check it.

>> Another relted question: can myspell be used with Emacs smoothly? I
>> saw a project what made myspell and dictionaries especially good for
>> my language (Hungarian), so maybe I will need myspell.
>
> You probably mean Hunspell (a derfivative of myspell), not myspell.

Most probably you are right.

> The above URL includes a Hungarian dictionary.  If that is not good
> enough, I suggest to try aspell, as someone else suggested.
>
>> couldn't found myspell.el. Will ispell.el work with it?
>
> No, I don't think ispell.el will work with myspell without some
> tinkering.

:-(

I afraid they made hunspell because neither (i|a|my)spell was good
enough for special Hungarian needs -- AND it was easier to make some
special than enhancing the general tool :-((

* Re: spell checking on MS Windows: myspell?
       [not found] <mailman.2494.1177484263.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-04-25  9:14 ` Peter Tury
From: Peter Tury @ 2007-04-25  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at> writes:

> AFAICT only Ispell and Aspell currently provide the pipe mode used by
> Emacs.  Maybe Aspell can work with myspell's dictionaries though.

I think the problem is not with dictionaries but language
rules. However I will check both (i|a)spell -- maybe it will be enough
for me now.

* Re: spell checking on MS Windows: myspell?
@ 2007-04-25 18:27     ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2525.1177526010.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-04-25 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Peter Tury <peter.tury@nokia.com>
> Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 09:12:47 GMT
>
> > No, I don't think ispell.el will work with myspell without some
> > tinkering.
>
> :-(
>
> I afraid they made hunspell because neither (i|a|my)spell was good
> enough for special Hungarian needs -- AND it was easier to make some
> special than enhancing the general tool :-((

Then how about trying to convince the Hunspell maintainers to submit
changes to ispell.el that make Emacs work with Hunspell?  It cannot be
too hard, since aspell, which is a close relative of myspell/hunspell,
already works with Emacs.

@ 2007-04-25 18:47       ` Peter Tury
From: Peter Tury @ 2007-04-25 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu...> writes:

> Then how about trying to convince the Hunspell maintainers to submit
> changes to ispell.el that make Emacs work with Hunspell?  It cannot be
> too hard, since aspell, which is a close relative of myspell/hunspell,
> already works with Emacs.

Nice idea. Maybe I will try it some day -- though I have a feeling
that hunspell is not actively developed nowadays. Maybe I will try to
submit changes to ispell.el if I will found that (i|a)spell is not
enough for me (with Hungarian (i|a)spell dics).

However I haven't used any of these yet, so maybe they are perfect for
me in their current form ;-)