all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* newer versions of emacs file open
@ 2007-12-05 23:52 admin
From: admin @ 2007-12-05 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In my opinion an annoying feature of newer emacs versions is the File
Open Window that pops up when I open a file or save a file.

I am WAY WAY WAY faster with the CLI interface built into emacs.

How do I switch off the annoying popup windows?

* Re: newer versions of emacs file open
@ 2007-12-06  0:05 ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4620.1196899884.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-12-06  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: admin@mmri.us; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

admin@mmri.us wrote:
> In my opinion an annoying feature of newer emacs versions is the File
> Open Window that pops up when I open a file or save a file.
>
> I am WAY WAY WAY faster with the CLI interface built into emacs.
>
> How do I switch off the annoying popup windows?

See use-file-dialog

* Re: newer versions of emacs file open
@ 2007-12-06  0:11   ` admin
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4620.1196899884.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: admin @ 2007-12-06  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks, I went through all the hundreds of options and could never find
anything.
I then did a search with what you suppled below and found it.
Without knowing what to look for it was futile.
"use-file-dialog" is not describing the feature at all.

I wish, the developers would keep Emacs unix-like. These kinds of
defaults it now ship with, feels more like windows and is annoying to
long-time unix users.
Maybe two different default settings for windows and unix would help not
to aggravate users.

* Re: newer versions of emacs file open
       [not found] <mailman.4616.1196898771.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-12-06  0:15 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2007-12-06  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"admin@mmri.us" <admin@mmri.us> writes:

> In my opinion an annoying feature of newer emacs versions is the File
> Open Window that pops up when I open a file or save a file.
>
> I am WAY WAY WAY faster with the CLI interface built into emacs.
>
> How do I switch off the annoying popup windows?

Just open or save your file using the keyboard shortcuts rather than the
mouse, and Emacs will not give a GUI file dialog.

* Re: newer versions of emacs file open
@ 2007-12-06  0:19     ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-12-06  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: admin@mmri.us; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

admin@mmri.us wrote:
> Thanks, I went through all the hundreds of options and could never find
> anything.
> I then did a search with what you suppled below and found it.
> Without knowing what to look for it was futile.
> "use-file-dialog" is not describing the feature at all.
>
> I wish, the developers would keep Emacs unix-like. These kinds of
> defaults it now ship with, feels more like windows and is annoying to
> long-time unix users.
> Maybe two different default settings for windows and unix would help not
> to aggravate users.

Maybe it is more a trouble with new and old Emacs users?

Perhaps it would be good to have a simple way to customize this kind
settings. Having it all on one customize page is then one choice.

@ 2007-12-06 14:41     ` Joel J. Adamson
       [not found]       ` <mailman.4661.1196969795.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2007-12-06 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"admin@mmri.us" <admin@mmri.us> writes:

> Thanks, I went through all the hundreds of options and could never find
> anything.
> I then did a search with what you suppled below and found it.
> Without knowing what to look for it was futile.
> "use-file-dialog" is not describing the feature at all.

When the dialog box popped up for me, it contained a little message that
said "If you don't like this file selector, turn it off with
customize-variable RET use-file-dialog"

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson
Biostatistician

* Re: newer versions of emacs file open
@ 2007-12-06 19:36       ` admin
       [not found]       ` <mailman.4661.1196969795.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: admin @ 2007-12-06 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

What really makes the dialog window useless is that I cannot cut and
paste between emacs and the dialog window!.
It is an absolutely useless affair.

Emacs CLI is about the most efficient I have seen, no need for this
crazy ineffective default window setting.

What would really be great (and this is how most responsible Unix
programs work) is if all the preferences a user selects for emacs  is
written to e.g.
.emacs in the users home directory.

That will take care of unwanted and annoying defaults.
It clearly does not do it right now and I have to fight through settings
to get it back to where I want it after a new install.

* Re: newer versions of emacs file open
@ 2007-12-06 19:38         ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-12-06 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: admin@mmri.us; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

admin@mmri.us wrote:
> What really makes the dialog window useless is that I cannot cut and
> paste between emacs and the dialog window!.
> It is an absolutely useless affair.
>
> Emacs CLI is about the most efficient I have seen, no need for this
> crazy ineffective default window setting.
>
> What would really be great (and this is how most responsible Unix
> programs work) is if all the preferences a user selects for emacs  is
> written to e.g.
> .emacs in the users home directory.
>
> That will take care of unwanted and annoying defaults.
> It clearly does not do it right now and I have to fight through settings
> to get it back to where I want it after a new install.

M-x customize-option

@ 2007-12-06 21:07         ` Joel J. Adamson
       [not found]           ` <mailman.4671.1196978340.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2007-12-06 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"admin@mmri.us" <admin@mmri.us> writes:

> What would really be great (and this is how most responsible Unix
> programs work) is if all the preferences a user selects for emacs is
> written to e.g.  .emacs in the users home directory.

If your Emacs installation does not do this, then there is something
seriously wrong.  That's what .emacs is for.  You should have your
custom settings (settings set by Customize) saved in your .emacs or in a
special `custom-file'.  Have you read the manual on customization?

I have never had a problem with Emacs settings across installations.
Are you sure you are saving your settings?

Joel

--

@ 2007-12-06 21:58           ` admin
       [not found]           ` <mailman.4671.1196978340.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: admin @ 2007-12-06 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

@ 2007-12-09  5:58             ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2007-12-09  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"admin@mmri.us" <admin@mmri.us> writes:

> I am using emacs for as long as I can remember about 10+ years.
> There must be something I dont understand, because it could NEVER save
> settings in $HOME/.emacs
> Everytime I reinstall the servers everyone needs to fight their way to get
> their old settings working again.
> This happened from RH5-FC7
> I can save settings all I want, but a new emacs installation ignores the old
> settings.
> For example I have a lot of syntax highlighting and custom debuggers etc etc
> which does not get saved.
> Whenever I start a new installed version, pop goes the weasel.

That sounds very odd. I've been using emacs since version 19 and my .emacs
has evolved steadily through using versions 19, 20, 21 and now 22. There
have only been two issues I've come across -

1. Sometimes, when moving to a new version, I have to remove/change
existing settings due to minor changes in emacs (i.e. variable names, minor
lisp changes etc). The largest change I can remember was with font-locking,
which has changed a fair bit (i.e. jit font locking, console font-locking
and increased standardisation in how it works etc).

2. Add new bits to customize new features/behavior. Sometimes this has been
slightly annoying because I don't like the changed behavior (i.e. new
splash screen behavior in current CVS), but a quick scan of the NEWS and
PROBLEMS files when moving to a new version usually gets things sorted very
quickly.

I think its a pity so few bother to check the NEWS and PROBLEMS files when
they move to a new version. The majority of posts I see to this group after
a new version is released deal with issues that are almost always covered
in these two files and they usually tell you how to get/restore old
behavior for things that have changed the defaults etc. I highly recommend
checking these files when moving to a new version - it will/can save hours
of trying to work things out using apropos et al.

Over the years, I've been moving more and more towards using customize
rather than hand crafted elisp customizations and load hooks. I think this
tends to make things more robust when moving to different versions. Most of
my .emacs that is not in the customize section is for specific user
customization that is not handled by customize. I did find it was a bit
inconsistent and had some minor issues in version 20, but now, in version
22, it seems pretty good.

What (if any) command line arguments do you use when starting emacs. I've
seen setups that use -q and then load a personal .emacs via -u or explicit
preventing customize from writing/saving settings back tot he file.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: newer versions of emacs file open
@ 2007-12-10 16:49               ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2007-12-10 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> writes:

> "admin@mmri.us" <admin@mmri.us> writes:
>
>> I am using emacs for as long as I can remember about 10+ years.
>> There must be something I dont understand, because it could NEVER save
>> settings in $HOME/.emacs
>> Everytime I reinstall the servers everyone needs to fight their way to get
>> their old settings working again.
>> This happened from RH5-FC7
>> I can save settings all I want, but a new emacs installation ignores the old
>> settings.
>> For example I have a lot of syntax highlighting and custom debuggers etc etc
>> which does not get saved.
>> Whenever I start a new installed version, pop goes the weasel.
>
> That sounds very odd. I've been using emacs since version 19 and my .emacs
> has evolved steadily through using versions 19, 20, 21 and now 22. There
> have only been two issues I've come across -

Is there something peculiar about the Emacs included with RedHat?  Does
it set up using (custom-file) automatically?  My question to OP would be
"what else happened to your users' files?"  The only places Customize
has ever saved anything for me is in .emacs or (custom-file), which I
started using simply because it's nicer to look at my .emacs with the
Custom settings elsewhere.

Joel

From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-12-10 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: jadamson@partners.org (Joel J. Adamson)
> Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 11:49:50 -0500
>
> Is there something peculiar about the Emacs included with RedHat?  Does
> it set up using (custom-file) automatically?

How about trying to invoke Emacs with --no-site-file option?