all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Specifying how emacs-w3m displays characters
@ 2004-10-15 22:24 Henrik S. Hansen
From: Henrik S. Hansen @ 2004-10-15 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

I use Emacs on the console, and have a problem with emacs-w3m: some
non-ascii characters displays as ~ (tilde).  These includes the left and
right single quotation marks -- "‘" and "’" in HTML.

The problem is emacs-specific -- w3m shows the characters as expected.

How do I change this?  Setting buffer-display-table or something else,
or is there a simple way (as I expect)?

I have (setq w3m-use-mule-ucs t) in my .emacs-w3m, but this seems to
have no effect.

--
Henrik S. Hansen

* Re: Specifying how emacs-w3m displays characters
@ 2004-10-15 23:21 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-10-15 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henrik S. Hansen wrote:
 > I use Emacs on the console, and have a problem with emacs-w3m: some
 > non-ascii characters displays as ~ (tilde).  These includes the left and
 > right single quotation marks -- "‘" and "’" in HTML.
 >
 > The problem is emacs-specific -- w3m shows the characters as expected.
 >
 > How do I change this?  Setting buffer-display-table or something else,
 > or is there a simple way (as I expect)?
 >
 > I have (setq w3m-use-mule-ucs t) in my .emacs-w3m, but this seems to
 > have no effect.

(setq w3m-input-coding-system 'utf-8
       w3m-output-coding-system 'utf-8)

Does that help?

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: Specifying how emacs-w3m displays characters
@ 2004-10-15 23:50   ` Henrik S. Hansen
From: Henrik S. Hansen @ 2004-10-15 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

>> I use Emacs on the console, and have a problem with emacs-w3m: some
>> non-ascii characters displays as ~ (tilde).  These includes the left and
>> right single quotation marks -- "&#8216;" and "&#8217;" in HTML.

> (setq w3m-input-coding-system 'utf-8
>        w3m-output-coding-system 'utf-8)
>
> Does that help?

Sorry, no.  This (from w3m.el) looks interesting, though:

(defun w3m-ucs-to-char (codepoint)
      "A dummy function defined since nothing provided the regular function.
This function simply returns the arg if it is between 0x20 and 0x7e,
otherwise returns the tilde character."

I'm investigating it further.

--

@ 2004-10-16  1:47 ` Henrik S. Hansen
From: Henrik S. Hansen @ 2004-10-16  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Could someone please verify that they cannot display some characters
properly in emacs-w3m on the console?

To verify, go to http://emacswiki.org -- the character between
"EmacsNewbie" and "if you are new" should be either a ~ or a ?

(if you don't get either of those, what do you get?)

I need to know if it's just me who has done something wrong.

Thanks.

* Re: Specifying how emacs-w3m displays characters
@ 2004-10-17 10:23 ` Henrik S. Hansen
From: Henrik S. Hansen @ 2004-10-17 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I use Emacs on the console, and have a problem with emacs-w3m: some
> non-ascii characters displays as ~ (tilde).  These includes the left and
> right single quotation marks -- "&#8216;" and "&#8217;" in HTML.

I have now corrected the problem.  The patch has been posted on
gnu.emacs.sources.

--
Henrik S. Hansen