all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Fatal error (6).Aborted
@ 2002-10-14  2:16 Joe Casadonte
From: Joe Casadonte @ 2002-10-14  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've built emacs 21.2 from the sources, on Debian, with the
--with-x=no option.  I run the thing, and every time I try to do
something, I get this error.  Yeah, yeah, I run emacs -q and it all
works fine, so it's something I'm loading.  Let's see:

1) global-font-lock-mode - set this and visit .emacs - boom
2) custom-set-faces - I had to comment out this block in my .emacs
   file just to get it to start up
3) set-foreground-color - had to comment out these, too

These are not bizarre and obscure calls.  If a console-only emacs
can't handle these, why the hell doesn't it just NOOP?

--
Regards,

joe
Joe Casadonte
jcasadonte@northbound-train.com

         Llama Fresh Farms => http://www.northbound-train.com
   Gay Media Resource List => http://www.northbound-train.com/gaymedia.html
            Perl for Win32 => http://www.northbound-train.com/perlwin32.html
               Emacs Stuff => http://www.northbound-train.com/emacs.html
          Music CD Trading => http://www.northbound-train.com/cdr.html
                       Live Free, that's the message!

* Re: Fatal error (6).Aborted
@ 2002-10-14  2:58 ` John Paul Wallington
From: John Paul Wallington @ 2002-10-14  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Joe Casadonte" <jcasadonte@northbound-train.com> wrote:

> I've built emacs 21.2 from the sources, on Debian, with the
> --with-x=no option.  I run the thing, and every time I try to do
> something, I get this error.

Installing the libncurses-dev Debian package then rebuilding Emacs
should avoid it.

--
John Paul Wallington

* Re: Fatal error (6).Aborted
@ 2002-10-14 17:32 ` Benjamin Riefenstahl
From: Benjamin Riefenstahl @ 2002-10-14 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Joe,

"Joe Casadonte" <jcasadonte@northbound-train.com> writes:
> Subject: Re: Fatal error (6).Aborted

According to the headers:

  #define	SIGABRT		6	/* Abort (ANSI).  */
  #define	SIGIOT		6	/* IOT trap (4.2 BSD).  */

So it's either Emacs doing an abort() (should be in the source
somewhere, possibly in a library), or I could also imagine the
terminal sending SIGIOT to indicate that Emacs did some nastiness.
But than maybe I'm off here, because I can't see why such a thing
should be usefull in the real world.

> 1) global-font-lock-mode - set this and visit .emacs - boom
> 2) custom-set-faces - I had to comment out this block in my .emacs
>    file just to get it to start up
> 3) set-foreground-color - had to comment out these, too

Looks like its about color.  Is it possible that the terminal just
doesn't like the escapes Emacs is sending to set colors?

Can you reproduce this under a debugger?  The stacktrace would be
interesting.

so long, benny

* Re: Fatal error (6).Aborted
@ 2002-10-19  3:50   ` Joe Casadonte
From: Joe Casadonte @ 2002-10-19  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, John Paul Wallington wrote:

> "Joe Casadonte" <jcasadonte@northbound-train.com> wrote:
>
>> I've built emacs 21.2 from the sources, on Debian, with the
>> --with-x=no option.  I run the thing, and every time I try to do
>> something, I get this error.
>
> Installing the libncurses-dev Debian package then rebuilding Emacs
> should avoid it.

Thanks, that worked like a charm!