all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* No completion on CVS directories
@ 2003-02-22  7:12 Jesper Holmberg
From: Jesper Holmberg @ 2003-02-22  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

I use the 'completion-ignored-extensions' list to sort out completions of
certain types of files, but I can't get it to work on directories. More
specifically, I want Emacs never to complete CVS directories, so that when
I descend a directory structure, Emacs never considers the 'CVS'
directories to be candidates. Can this be done?

TIA

Jesper

* Re: No completion on CVS directories
@ 2003-02-22 10:22 ` Kai Großjohann
       [not found] ` <mailman.2273.1045953496.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-02-22 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Holmberg <jeho5791@student.uu.se> writes:

> I use the 'completion-ignored-extensions' list to sort out completions of
> certain types of files, but I can't get it to work on directories. More
> specifically, I want Emacs never to complete CVS directories, so that when
> I descend a directory structure, Emacs never considers the 'CVS'
> directories to be candidates. Can this be done?

Does it work to add "CVS/" (with the trailing slash) to the list?

* Re: No completion on CVS directories
@ 2003-02-22 22:34 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.2273.1045953496.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-02-22 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> From: Jesper Holmberg <jeho5791@student.uu.se>
> Date: 22 Feb 2003 08:12:45 +0100
>
> I use the 'completion-ignored-extensions' list to sort out completions of
> certain types of files, but I can't get it to work on directories. More
> specifically, I want Emacs never to complete CVS directories, so that when
> I descend a directory structure, Emacs never considers the 'CVS'
> directories to be candidates. Can this be done?

What version of Emacs is that?  I think there was a bug with this
feature when directories were concerned, and IIRC it's only fixed in
the CVS code (i.e. no released version does TRT with this).

In any case, directories are only ignored if they have a '/' appended
to them in 'completion-ignored-extensions'.

@ 2003-02-23 12:09   ` Jesper Holmberg
From: Jesper Holmberg @ 2003-02-23 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@is.elta.co.il> writes:
> In any case, directories are only ignored if they have a '/' appended
> to them in 'completion-ignored-extensions'.

Thank you Eli and Kai, it was the '/' at the end that was missing. I use
Emacs v. 21 BTW, and it does seem to work.

@ 2003-02-23 12:46     ` Jesper Holmberg
       [not found]       ` <mailman.2285.1046027521.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jesper Holmberg @ 2003-02-23 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Holmberg <jeho5791@student.uu.se> writes:
> Thank you Eli and Kai, it was the '/' at the end that was missing. I use
> Emacs v. 21 BTW, and it does seem to work.

No, I spoke too soon: in fact it doesn't work, it still considers CVS
directories for completion.

emacs --version gives this:
GNU Emacs 21.2.1

Do I have to wait for a new release, then?

@ 2003-02-23 19:08       ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]       ` <mailman.2285.1046027521.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-02-23 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> From: Jesper Holmberg <jeho5791@student.uu.se>
> Date: 23 Feb 2003 13:46:39 +0100
>
> No, I spoke too soon: in fact it doesn't work, it still considers CVS
> directories for completion.
>
> emacs --version gives this:
> GNU Emacs 21.2.1
>
> Do I have to wait for a new release, then?

Yes, I'm afraid so.

@ 2003-02-24  2:12         ` Peter Wu
       [not found]           ` <mailman.2296.1046061388.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Wu @ 2003-02-24  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon Feb 24 2003 at 03:08, "Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@is.elta.co.il> wrote:

> > Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> > From: Jesper Holmberg <jeho5791@student.uu.se>
> > Date: 23 Feb 2003 13:46:39 +0100
> >
> > No, I spoke too soon: in fact it doesn't work, it still considers CVS
> > directories for completion.
> >
> > emacs --version gives this:
> > GNU Emacs 21.2.1
> >
> > Do I have to wait for a new release, then?
>
> Yes, I'm afraid so.

Any idea when the new release will be released?

--
Peter Wu

* Re: No completion on CVS directories
@ 2003-02-24  4:32           ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]           ` <mailman.2296.1046061388.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-02-24  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> From: Peter Wu <peterwu@hotmail.com>
> Date: 24 Feb 2003 10:12:58 +0800
> > >
> > > emacs --version gives this:
> > > GNU Emacs 21.2.1
> > >
> > > Do I have to wait for a new release, then?
> >
> > Yes, I'm afraid so.
>
> Any idea when the new release will be released?

I don't know.  I also think that the change you are looking for is not
in the next release (which will be bugfix-only), but rather in the
development sources that won't be released before a few more months.

Can you compile Emacs from sources?  If so, perhaps I could tell you
what file to get from the CVS, and you could then see what change
needs to be done in your sources to make this work for you right now.

@ 2003-02-24  4:53             ` Peter Wu
From: Peter Wu @ 2003-02-24  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Any idea when the new release will be released?

Eli> Can you compile Emacs from sources?  If so, perhaps I could tell you
Eli> what file to get from the CVS, and you could then see what change
Eli> needs to be done in your sources to make this work for you right now.

I installed Emacs from FreeBSD ports. So, I am not clear if the source
needs any FreeBSD patch.

--
Peter Wu