all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* NTEmacs courier bold width
@ 2003-03-10 15:28 David Abrahams
From: David Abrahams @ 2003-03-10 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've set my default font to Lucida Console, which seems to work fine
with the latest ntemacs font stuff (thank you, emacs developers!!).

Today I was viewing a TeX file containing the following:

      A \textbf{Metafunction Class} is:

In my buffer, however, it looks like this, in Courier:

      A \textbf{Metafunction Cla} is:

With the string "Metafunction Cla" in bold.  All the characters are
there, as I can see from the wacky overstrike display when I cursor
over them.  When I use Lucida Console bold, it seems that Emacs just
makes the character positions wider, but in this case it looks like
Emacs is stubbornly maintaining a fixed width for all styles of
Courier.  IIRC Courier was the one font whose styles worked correctly
in earlier versions.  Am I mistaken?

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting

* Re: NTEmacs courier bold width
@ 2003-03-10 15:47 ` David Abrahams
From: David Abrahams @ 2003-03-10 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Abrahams <dave@boost-consulting.com> writes:

> I've set my default font to Lucida Console, which seems to work fine
> with the latest ntemacs font stuff (thank you, emacs developers!!).
>
> Today I was viewing a TeX file containing the following:
>
>       A \textbf{Metafunction Class} is:
>
> In my buffer, however, it looks like this, in Courier:
>
>       A \textbf{Metafunction Cla} is:
>
> With the string "Metafunction Cla" in bold.  All the characters are
> there, as I can see from the wacky overstrike display when I cursor
> over them.  When I use Lucida Console bold, it seems that Emacs just
> makes the character positions wider, but in this case it looks like
> Emacs is stubbornly maintaining a fixed width for all styles of
> Courier.  IIRC Courier was the one font whose styles worked correctly
> in earlier versions.  Am I mistaken?

One more data point: emacs (or LaTeX mode) doesn't seem to be able to
make up its mind which font it wants to display any given line in.
Any edits on a line can change it between Courier and Lucida Console,
seemingly at random.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting