all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* czech characters/fonts in a terminal emacs
@ 2003-11-07 19:43 J. Altman
From: J. Altman @ 2003-11-07 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am researching an issue for a customer who wishes to see correctly
displayed Czech characters/fonts in an emacs window, running in a
terminal session during a remote login to our userhosts.

My research indicates that we will need to install some sort of font;
and that it will be the ISO8859-2 Type1 fonts. Currently, we only have
ISO8859-1 on our userhosts under /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/.

We are currently running GNU Emacs 21.3.1.

Leaving aside questions of setting the language environ, and input
method, is my supposition about the font set correct?

Feel free to follow up via email.

J. Altman
Panix.com Staff
(212) 741-4400

* Re: czech characters/fonts in a terminal emacs
@ 2003-11-07 23:22 ` Jiri Pejchal
From: Jiri Pejchal @ 2003-11-07 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

"J. Altman" <ja@panix.com> writes:

> I am researching an issue for a customer who wishes to see correctly
> displayed Czech characters/fonts in an emacs window, running in a
> terminal session during a remote login to our userhosts.
>
> My research indicates that we will need to install some sort of font;
> and that it will be the ISO8859-2 Type1 fonts. Currently, we only have
> ISO8859-1 on our userhosts under /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/.
Yes, Czech characters are in ISO-8859-2.

> We are currently running GNU Emacs 21.3.1.
>
> Leaving aside questions of setting the language environ, and input
> method, is my supposition about the font set correct?

If you understand Czech look at
http://www.janik.cz/emacs/emacs-cs-utils-21.1/doc/index.html
there should be everything you need for 21.3.1.

I am no font expert but there is written that you need
intlfonts-1.2.tar.gz.

The Czech customization is probably already included in CVS Emacs.

--
Jiri Pejchal

* Re: czech characters/fonts in a terminal emacs
@ 2003-11-08 13:01 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2003-11-08 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

"J. Altman" <ja@panix.com> writes:

> I am researching an issue for a customer who wishes to see correctly
> displayed Czech characters/fonts in an emacs window, running in a
> terminal session during a remote login to our userhosts.
>
> My research indicates that we will need to install some sort of
> font;

Any fonts you install will only work in an Emacs frame under X. For
terminal use, the customer will need to use a Czech capable terminal,
and set terminal-coding-system to iso8859-2 or whatever encoding their
terminal uses.