all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Toolbars on MS Windows version?
@ 2006-05-06 22:10 John McCabe
From: John McCabe @ 2006-05-06 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

Hope this hasn't been asked recently, but I couldn't find it.

I found the O'Reilly 3rd Edition of "Learning GNU Emacs" in a shop
today, and there appeared to be screenshots of a MS Windows version of
GNU Emacs that included an icon-based toolbar.

Now, as far as I know, that's not available in the Windows version yet
(just checked the FAQ just in case).

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks

* Re: Toolbars on MS Windows version?
@ 2006-05-06 22:38 ` Robin Dunn
From: Robin Dunn @ 2006-05-06 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

John McCabe wrote:
> Hi
>
> Hope this hasn't been asked recently, but I couldn't find it.
>
> I found the O'Reilly 3rd Edition of "Learning GNU Emacs" in a shop
> today, and there appeared to be screenshots of a MS Windows version of
> GNU Emacs that included an icon-based toolbar.
>
> Now, as far as I know, that's not available in the Windows version yet
> (just checked the FAQ just in case).
>
> Can anyone shed any light on this?

http://ntemacs.sourceforge.net/

Robin

* Re: Toolbars on MS Windows version?
@ 2006-05-07  3:24 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-05-07  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: John McCabe <john@nospam.assen.demon.co.uk.nospam>
> Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 23:10:03 +0100
>
> I found the O'Reilly 3rd Edition of "Learning GNU Emacs" in a shop
> today, and there appeared to be screenshots of a MS Windows version of
> GNU Emacs that included an icon-based toolbar.
>
> Now, as far as I know, that's not available in the Windows version yet
> (just checked the FAQ just in case).
>
> Can anyone shed any light on this?

They were probably using the CVS (a.k.a. development) version, where
images are supported on Windows as well.

* Re: Toolbars on MS Windows version?
@ 2006-05-07  6:00   ` Brian Elmegaard
From: Brian Elmegaard @ 2006-05-07  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robin Dunn <robin@alldunn.com> writes:

> http://ntemacs.sourceforge.net/

or
http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html

--
Brian (remove the sport for mail)
http://www.et.web.mek.dtu.dk/Staff/be/be.html

* Re: Toolbars on MS Windows version?
@ 2006-05-07 23:09   ` John McCabe
From: John McCabe @ 2006-05-07 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robin

Robin Dunn <robin@alldunn.com> wrote:

>http://ntemacs.sourceforge.net/

Thanks for that. As a matter of interest, what's actually in the exe
that you download? Presumably at that size it's more than just the
emacs executable.

Any info greatly appreciated, as there's nothing on the link you
mentioned that helps!

@ 2006-05-09 10:30     ` Bert 'theBlackDragon' Geens
From: Bert 'theBlackDragon' Geens @ 2006-05-09 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

John McCabe <john@nospam.assen.demon.co.uk.nospam> writes:

> Robin
>
> Robin Dunn <robin@alldunn.com> wrote:
>
>>http://ntemacs.sourceforge.net/
>
> Thanks for that. As a matter of interest, what's actually in the exe
> that you download? Presumably at that size it's more than just the
> emacs executable.

It contains the full Emacs distribution with all supporting elisp code
(all emacs modes are written in elisp),
dlls, other executables etc.

I strongly doubt having only the Emacs executable would give you
anything more than an error...

> Any info greatly appreciated, as there's nothing on the link you
> mentioned that helps!

I hope this is the answer you were looking for.

Cheers

Bert

* Re: Toolbars on MS Windows version?
@ 2006-05-09 19:10       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-05-09 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Bert 'theBlackDragon' Geens <bert@lair.be>
> Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 12:30:44 +0200
>
> I strongly doubt having only the Emacs executable would give you
> anything more than an error...

I think it shouldn't give any error message (if it does, please report
that as a bug).  But many useful features will not work; even help
commands will be crippled, I think.