all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* color customisation and multiple windows
@ 2007-04-14 10:25 arildna
From: arildna @ 2007-04-14 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I am new to this group, and was hoping somebody could help me with a
problem I have been having with my .emacs-file.

A friend spent quite some time on doing a color customization which I
am quite happy with (though if anyone has tips for other color schemes
that they think would work better, feel free to comment). The problem
is that when I create a new window with C-x-5-2, the background color
for some reason changes from black to white, making a lot of the text
almost unreadable. This happens both on my iBook and on a Unix
workstation.

Does somebody have any idea why this happens, and how I could fix it?

If this is too specific a question for this list, please let me know.
(Although this question is important to me, I am not sure if I would
call it "seriously important to many people", as the forum rules seem
to demand.)

I include the .emacs-file below for reference (and in case anybody
might want to use it).

regards,
Humbro

(set-foreground-color "DarkGoldenrod1")
(set-background-color "black")
(set-cursor-color "aquamarine1")
(set-mouse-color "RosyBrown1")
(custom-set-variables
  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/
paste it!
 )
(custom-set-faces
  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste
it!
 '(bold ((t (:foreground "green" :weight bold))))
 '(bold-italic ((t (:foreground "honeydew1" :slant italic :weight
bold))))
 '(border ((t (:background "black" :foreground "red1"))))
 '(comint-highlight-input ((t (:foreground "purple" :weight bold))))
 '(font-lock-builtin-face ((((class color) (background dark))
(:foreground "violet red"))))
 '(font-lock-comment-face ((((class color) (background dark))
(:foreground "hotpink"))))
 '(font-lock-constant-face ((((class color) (background dark))
(:foreground "azure4"))))
 '(font-lock-function-name-face ((((class color) (background dark))
(:foreground "ivory"))))
 '(italic ((t (:foreground "rosy brown" :slant italic))))
 '(menu ((((type x-toolkit)) (:background "lightblue" :foreground
"black"))))
 '(mode-line ((t (:background "lightblue" :foreground "black" :box
(:line-width -1 :style released-button)))))
 '(scroll-bar ((t (:background "lightblue" :foreground "black"))))
 '(tex-math-face ((t (:foreground "seagreen1"))))
 '(tool-bar ((((type x w32 mac) (class color)) (:background
"lightblue" :foreground "black" :box (:line-width 1 :style released-
button))))))

* Re: color customisation and multiple windows
@ 2007-04-14 11:49 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.2068.1176551643.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-04-14 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: arildna@gmail.com
> Date: 14 Apr 2007 03:25:26 -0700
>
> A friend spent quite some time on doing a color customization which I
> am quite happy with (though if anyone has tips for other color schemes
> that they think would work better, feel free to comment). The problem
> is that when I create a new window with C-x-5-2, the background color
> for some reason changes from black to white, making a lot of the text
> almost unreadable.

This happens because you used incorrect customizations:

> (set-foreground-color "DarkGoldenrod1")
> (set-background-color "black")

These apply only to the initial frame.  When you create other frames
with `C-x 5 2', their colors and faces use the default values.  See
the documentation of these two functions (accessible with `C-h f').

Instead, use something like this:

 (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(foreground-color . "DarkGoldenrod1"))

and similarly for the background color.

This is explained in the Emacs user manual, in the node named
"Creating Frames".  I suggest to take a few minutes and read that.

@ 2007-04-14 14:31   ` arildna
From: arildna @ 2007-04-14 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Apr 14, 1:49 pm, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
> > From: aril...@gmail.com
> > Date: 14 Apr 2007 03:25:26 -0700
>
> > A friend spent quite some time on doing a color customization which I
> > am quite happy with (though if anyone has tips for other color schemes
> > that they think would work better, feel free to comment). The problem
> > is that when I create a new window with C-x-5-2, the background color
> > for some reason changes from black to white, making a lot of the text
> > almost unreadable.
>
> This happens because you used incorrect customizations:
>
> > (set-foreground-color "DarkGoldenrod1")
> > (set-background-color "black")
>
> These apply only to the initial frame.  When you create other frames
> with `C-x 5 2', their colors and faces use the default values.  See
> the documentation of these two functions (accessible with `C-h f').
>
> Instead, use something like this:
>
>  (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(foreground-color . "DarkGoldenrod1"))
>
> and similarly for the background color.
>
> This is explained in the Emacs user manual, in the node named
> "Creating Frames".  I suggest to take a few minutes and read tfhat.

Thanks a million, that worked like a charm.

And I apologise for not having found the node in the manual; it did
indeed explain it quite straightforwardly.

@ 2007-04-14 19:58 ` Karl Hegbloom
From: Karl Hegbloom @ 2007-04-14 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arildna; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, 2007-04-14 at 03:25 -0700, arildna@gmail.com wrote:
> ... (though if anyone has tips for other color schemes
> that they think would work better, feel free to comment).

There's a Debian package of `emacs-color-themes' you might like to try.
If you don't use Debian, a google search will probably turn it up.

* Re: color customisation and multiple windows
@ 2007-04-15  4:07     ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2007-04-15  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

arildna@gmail.com writes:

> On Apr 14, 1:49 pm, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
>> > From: aril...@gmail.com
>> > Date: 14 Apr 2007 03:25:26 -0700
>>
>> > A friend spent quite some time on doing a color customization which I
>> > am quite happy with (though if anyone has tips for other color schemes
>> > that they think would work better, feel free to comment). The problem
>> > is that when I create a new window with C-x-5-2, the background color
>> > for some reason changes from black to white, making a lot of the text
>> > almost unreadable.
>>
>> This happens because you used incorrect customizations:
>>
>> > (set-foreground-color "DarkGoldenrod1")
>> > (set-background-color "black")
>>
>> These apply only to the initial frame.  When you create other frames
>> with `C-x 5 2', their colors and faces use the default values.  See
>> the documentation of these two functions (accessible with `C-h f').
>>
>> Instead, use something like this:
>>
>>  (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(foreground-color . "DarkGoldenrod1"))
>>
>> and similarly for the background color.
>>
>> This is explained in the Emacs user manual, in the node named
>> "Creating Frames".  I suggest to take a few minutes and read tfhat.
>
> Thanks a million, that worked like a charm.
>
> And I apologise for not having found the node in the manual; it did
> indeed explain it quite straightforwardly.

You might also want to check out the color-themes.el package. It provides a lot
of different themes and you can switch between them 'on the fly'. It also shows
a way of defining a new theme and including it etc.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: color customisation and multiple windows
@ 2007-04-15 20:12   ` Matthew Flaschen
From: Matthew Flaschen @ 2007-04-15 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs

Karl Hegbloom wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-04-14 at 03:25 -0700, arildna@gmail.com wrote:
>> ... (though if anyone has tips for other color schemes
>> that they think would work better, feel free to comment).
>
> There's a Debian package of `emacs-color-themes' you might like to try.
> If you don't use Debian, a google search will probably turn it up.

Thanks.  That seems interesting.  I'm going to try color-theme-tty-dark
for a while.  Do anyone have recommendations from that package?

Matt Flaschen

* Re: color customisation and multiple windows
@ 2007-04-15 21:45     ` sven.bretfeld
From: sven.bretfeld @ 2007-04-15 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs

Hi

On Sun, Apr 15, 2007 at 04:12:12PM -0400, Matthew Flaschen wrote:

> Thanks.  That seems interesting.  I'm going to try color-theme-tty-dark
> for a while.  Do anyone have recommendations from that package?

I noticed the color-themes package when reading this thred
today. After installing it, I chose the Gnome 2 theme. It is quite
beautiful and smooth to the eyes, even after working a whole day.

But I have a problem. I often use emacs -nw for writing emails. But
the color theme makes buffers almost illegible when emacs is started
that way. There surely is a possibility to start the theme only when X
is used. Can anybody tell me how I can do this? At the moment I have
the following lines in my .emacs:

    (require 'color-theme)
    (color-theme-gnome2)

Thanks for help
Sven

* Re: color customisation and multiple windows
@ 2007-04-15 22:09       ` sven.bretfeld
From: sven.bretfeld @ 2007-04-15 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs

On Sun, Apr 15, 2007 at 11:45:37PM +0200, sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch wrote:

> There surely is a possibility to start the theme only when X
> is used. Can anybody tell me how I can do this?

Ok. I can answer my own question. The solution is:

(when (not window-system)
  (color-theme-emacs-nw)
)

Sometimes it's better to try before asking other people. Sorry.

Greetings,
Sven