all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Still in fog on ispell
@ 2007-12-04 12:37 vjp2.at
From: vjp2.at @ 2007-12-04 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I reinstalled emacs 22 on XP because I had put a different ispell.el
in there.  Emacs is at c:\Program Files\Emacs and Ispell is at
c:\Program Files\Common Files\ISpell, It can't find it. Ispell.el says
I have to set some variables. Some of them look too unixy too me (they
have stuff like /usr/ in them).

On DOS with emacs 18 I am doing a bit better.. it is looking for english.hash

				    - = -
	   http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm
  ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice.  Everything fully disclaimed.}---
 [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Remorse begets zeal] [Windows is for Bimbos]

* Re: Still in fog on ispell
@ 2007-12-04 21:16 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-12-04 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com
> Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 12:37:49 +0000 (UTC)
>
> I reinstalled emacs 22 on XP because I had put a different ispell.el
> in there.  Emacs is at c:\Program Files\Emacs and Ispell is at
> c:\Program Files\Common Files\ISpell, It can't find it.

My guess is that "c:\Program Files\Common Files" is not on your Path.

* Re: Still in fog on ispell
@ 2007-12-06  7:08 ` vjp2.at
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4666.1196974413.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: vjp2.at @ 2007-12-06  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ok, progress.. now both versions are looking for
c:\usr\local\lib\english.hash
which of course does not exist in such a directory..

I learned how XP paths work..

				    - = -

@ 2007-12-06 14:39 ` Will
From: Will @ 2007-12-06 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi, Vip!

Watch out that there are several path variables which you can define in
Emacs! E.g. the MS Windows PATH variable which applies to the cmd-shell
in Emacs. Regarding aspell or other tools that Emacs relies on, make
sure that they are included in the <exec-path> variable.

AFAIK, the MS Windows Environment Variable PATH should be included in
<exec-path> automatically but in my case (GNU Emacs 22.1 on MS Windows
XP) this failed. Therefore, I set all path variables separately in my
.emacs file, e.g. I include the aspell/ispell path explicitly in my
<exec-path>

(setq-default exec-path '(
;; GNU Utils
"C:/cygwin/bin/"
"C:/Program Files/Aspell/bin/"
;; MS Windows Integration
"."
"C:/WINDOWS/"
"C:/WINDOWS/system32/"
"C:/WINDOWS/System32/Wbem/"
"C:/Program Files/Support Tools/"
))

Hope this helps.

Will

@ 2007-12-06 20:53   ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4666.1196974413.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-12-06 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com
> Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 07:08:31 +0000 (UTC)
>
> Ok, progress.. now both versions are looking for
> c:\usr\local\lib\english.hash
> which of course does not exist in such a directory..

How about moving english.hash to that directory?

Alternatively, point the LIBDIR environment variable to the directory
where you have english.hash

* Re: Still in fog on ispell
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4666.1196974413.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-12-08 16:03     ` vjp2.at
       [not found]       ` <mailman.4762.1197134250.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: vjp2.at @ 2007-12-08 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

LIBDIR is in emacs or the OS? This is my main confusion, I think.

I could find no ref  to usr/local/lib inside ispell.el itself.

				    - = -

@ 2007-12-08 17:16       ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]       ` <mailman.4762.1197134250.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-12-08 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com
> Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 16:03:51 +0000 (UTC)
>
> LIBDIR is in emacs or the OS? This is my main confusion, I think.

Sorry, I don't understand the question.  What I meant is set LIBDIR
environment variable in your Settings->System->Advanced->Environment
variables.

> I could find no ref  to usr/local/lib inside ispell.el itself.

It's the default value of LIBDIR compiled into ispell.exe, so you
won't find it in ispell.el.

* Re: Still in fog on ispell
       [not found]       ` <mailman.4762.1197134250.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-12-10  4:06         ` vjp2.at
       [not found]           ` <mailman.4845.1197315958.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: vjp2.at @ 2007-12-10  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Then it is in OS (windows/DOS). THanks. This clarifies a lot.

Dumb question: What if I put all the ISPELL files (exe,english.*,Greek.*)
in emacs\bin\ or in the directory where I have ISPELL?

In XP the english.hash file is in Program_Files\Common_Files\ISpell\English

				    - = -

@ 2007-12-10 19:45           ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]           ` <mailman.4845.1197315958.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-12-10 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com
> Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 04:06:59 +0000 (UTC)
>
> Dumb question: What if I put all the ISPELL files (exe,english.*,Greek.*)
> in emacs\bin\ or in the directory where I have ISPELL?

It won't work, because the *.hash files are not looked up in the same
directory as the executable.

> In XP the english.hash file is in Program_Files\Common_Files\ISpell\English

You never said what happens if you point LIBDIR to that directory.

* Re: Still in fog on ispell
       [not found]           ` <mailman.4845.1197315958.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-12-11  3:05             ` vjp2.at
From: vjp2.at @ 2007-12-11  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

*+-> In XP the english.hash file is in Program_Files\Common_Files\ISpell\English

*+-You never said what happens if you point LIBDIR to that directory.

That's because I hadn't tried it yet. I later did, but it still was
looking for usr/local/lib. I set it both to Ispell\ and to
ISpell\English\.  I do wonder if reboot was necessary, but I don't
think so. I want to recheck it because it doesn't seem to make sence
that it didn't find it.

I assume LibDir needs to be set in AutoExec.Bat in the DOS version, right?

				    - = -

@ 2007-12-11  4:20               ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-12-11  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com
> Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 03:05:00 +0000 (UTC)
>
> *+-You never said what happens if you point LIBDIR to that directory.
>
> That's because I hadn't tried it yet. I later did, but it still was
> looking for usr/local/lib.

Does it work if you create C:\usr\local\lib and copy the *.hash files
there?

> I set it both to Ispell\ and to ISpell\English\.  I do wonder if
> reboot was necessary, but I don't think so.

It doesn't hurt to try, though.  (Depending on the details of how you
invoke Ispell, a reboot _might_ be necessary.)

> I assume LibDir needs to be set in AutoExec.Bat in the DOS version, right?

We are talking about the Windows version, not the DOS version of
Ispell, right?  If so, then LIBDIR is _not_ set in autoexec.bat, it is
set from the Control Panel (or from the dialog that pops when you
right-click on My Computer and choose Properties).