all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* ECB+semantic, ebrowse, ctags/etags
@ 2003-02-14 16:18 Peter Lee
From: Peter Lee @ 2003-02-14 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

If I'm on a c++ member function definition or a c++ member variable, I
would like to be able to jump to the declaration.

With ebrowse I can simply do ebrowse-tags-find-declaration (C-c b F).

I was under the impression that I could achieve the same thing with
either ECB+semantic or ctags/etags.

With ECB+semantic, all it seems to do is provide paned views of
interesting things in whatever file I'm in.  Is there a
jump-to-declaration that I'm just missing?  I'm using ecb 1.91.1 and
semantic 1.4.3.

With ctags, it just cycles through tokens.  Is there a
find-declaration function for ctags/etags ?

I'd really like to just use ecb and not have to create browse files.
There is an annoying problem with browse files such that, if I have
multiple browse files loaded and hit (C-c b F) it will prompt me for
which tree I want to use (which is fine).  But when I select the tree
I want, instead of using the word under the cursor, as it would if
there were only one tree loaded, it will prompt me for the token.

Anyway, I'm just trying to get a feel for the best *C++* code
navigation package.  What does everyone here use for immediately
jumping to member func/variable declarations/definitions?

TIA.

* Re: ECB+semantic, ebrowse, ctags/etags
@ 2003-02-14 18:36 ` Klaus Berndl
From: Klaus Berndl @ 2003-02-14 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, Peter Lee wrote:

>  If I'm on a c++ member function definition or a c++ member variable, I
>  would like to be able to jump to the declaration.
>
>  With ebrowse I can simply do ebrowse-tags-find-declaration (C-c b F).
>
>  I was under the impression that I could achieve the same thing with
>  either ECB+semantic or ctags/etags.
>
>  With ECB+semantic, all it seems to do is provide paned views of
>  interesting things in whatever file I'm in.  Is there a
>  jump-to-declaration that I'm just missing?  I'm using ecb 1.91.1 and
>  semantic 1.4.3.

This has nothing to do with ECB because ECB is "just" an ontop tool on the
semantic-parser and offers a layout-engine to display things like in IDEs.
But: AFAICS with the semanticdb library included in semantic you should be
able to do this fancy things. Eric Ludlam can give better information i
suppose. Maybe you should write to the semantic mailing list.

klaus

--
Klaus Berndl			mailto: klaus.berndl@sdm.de
sd&m AG				http://www.sdm.de

* Re: ECB+semantic, ebrowse, ctags/etags
@ 2003-02-14 20:08   ` Peter Lee
From: Peter Lee @ 2003-02-14 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Klaus Berndl <klaus.berndl@sdm.de> writes:

> This has nothing to do with ECB because ECB is "just" an ontop tool on the
> semantic-parser and offers a layout-engine to display things like in IDEs.
> But: AFAICS with the semanticdb library included in semantic you should be
> able to do this fancy things. Eric Ludlam can give better information i
> suppose. Maybe you should write to the semantic mailing list.

Thanks Klaus. I'll try the semantic list... I didn't know there was
one.

Cheers.