Since no one seemed to object and it's a trivial change, here's a patch to add ?\_ support. Light testing here shows no ill effects. The patch does the following: 1. Adds support for ?\_ to lread.c, 2. Documents ?\_ in lispref, 3. Augments checkdoc to replace end-of-line `? ' and `?\ ' with `?\_', (Note that this change isn't as good as it could be, but I don't know anything about checkdoc's internals.) 4. Updates etc/NEWS and the various ChangeLogs (which presumably should be changed by whoever checks this in). I hope this change squeaks in under the paperwork threshold (it's really very very simple), but if not, I'm perfectly willing to sign papers. Ted -- Edward O'Connor ted@oconnor.cx Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.