all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Tramp mimencode on NT Emacs & RH 8.0
@ 2002-10-29 17:50 Richard V. Molen
       [not found] ` <nq4rb4mjkz.fsf@alcatel.de>
From: Richard V. Molen @ 2002-10-29 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

This may be helpful to those using NT Emacs, Tramp & ssh on WinNT
boxes.

Could not use Tramp 'smx' method on NT Emacs due to missing
'mimencode' on remote host.  Apparently the RedHat 8.0 Linux
distribution lacks the metamail package & lacks 'mimencode'.  FWIW,
the distribution does have '/usr/bin/uuencode' in
sharutils-4.2.1-12.rpm.

'smx' seems necessary when using ssh in NT Emacs since 'sm' method
returns the following in the *tramp/sm user@255.255.255.255* buffer...

  Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a
  terminal.

...'M-x tramp-version' puts this in the *Messages* buffer...

$Id: tramp.el,v 1.1.1.1 2002/02/18 14:17:20 user Exp $

I solved my problem by grabbing 'mimencode' from a nearby Linux server;
stuffing it into /usr/local/bin and 'chmod 755'ing the permissions.
Now it works great again.

--
Richard V. Molen

Warning!!
Signature under construction, safety glasses required.

* Re: Tramp mimencode on NT Emacs & RH 8.0
       [not found] ` <nq4rb4mjkz.fsf@alcatel.de>
@ 2002-10-30 14:34   ` Richard V. Molen
From: Richard V. Molen @ 2002-10-30 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Albinus <Michael.Albinus@alcatel.de> writes:

> The recent one is 2.0.25.
>
> It is capable now to live without mimencode, using a small Perl module
> for base64 en/decoding instead of. Maybe you give it a try.

Thanks, definitely time for me to upgrade.