all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Deleting chunks of whitespace
@ 2002-11-15 15:32 Moore, Mathew L
From: Moore, Mathew L @ 2002-11-15 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Is there a quick command sequence that allows me to delete all of the
whitespace between the point and the next non-whitespace character---sort of
like the way M-d deletes from the point to the end of a word?

Thanks for your help.

--Matt

* Re: Deleting chunks of whitespace
       [not found] <mailman.1037375498.29003.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-11-15 17:24 ` Richard V. Molen
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Richard V. Molen @ 2002-11-15 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Moore, Mathew L" <MooreML@BATTELLE.ORG> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Is there a quick command sequence that allows me to delete all of the
> whitespace between the point and the next non-whitespace character---sort of
> like the way M-d deletes from the point to the end of a word?

How about fixup-whitespace?

;;suck up excess      whitespace
(global-set-key [f12] 'fixup-whitespace)

--
Richard V. Molen

Warning!!
Signature under construction, safety glasses required.

@ 2002-11-15 17:42 ` Benjamin Rutt
From: Benjamin Rutt @ 2002-11-15 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Moore, Mathew L" <MooreML@BATTELLE.ORG> writes:

> Is there a quick command sequence that allows me to delete all of the
> whitespace between the point and the next non-whitespace character---sort of
> like the way M-d deletes from the point to the end of a word?

I think 'M-SPC' is what you want.
--
Benjamin

* RE: Deleting chunks of whitespace
@ 2002-11-15 17:42 Moore, Mathew L
From: Moore, Mathew L @ 2002-11-15 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > Is there a quick command sequence that allows me to delete
> all of the
> > whitespace between the point and the next non-whitespace
> character---sort of
> > like the way M-d deletes from the point to the end of a word?
>
> How about fixup-whitespace?
>
> ;;suck up excess      whitespace
> (global-set-key [f12] 'fixup-whitespace)

Perfect.  Thanks for everyone's assistance!

@ 2002-11-15 18:22 ` Benjamin Lewis
From: Benjamin Lewis @ 2002-11-15 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Mathew L. Moore wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there a quick command sequence that allows me to delete all of the
> whitespace between the point and the next non-whitespace character---sort
> of like the way M-d deletes from the point to the end of a word?
>
> Thanks for your help.

Not quite what you want, but you could check out `delete-horizontal-space'
and 'just-one-space', bound by default to `M-\' and 'M-<SPC>' respectively.

If you can't find what you want, you could possibly grab the code for one
of these from simple.el and modify it...

--
Benjamin Lewis

Although the moon is smaller than the earth, it is farther away.

* Re: Deleting chunks of whitespace
@ 2002-11-15 19:42   ` Richard V. Molen
From: Richard V. Molen @ 2002-11-15 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Benjamin Lewis <bclewis@cs.sfu.ca> writes:

> Not quite what you want, but you could check out `delete-horizontal-space'
> and 'just-one-space', bound by default to `M-\' and 'M-<SPC>' respectively.

These key bindings are nice since they mesh well with M-d.

On another editor there was a function like that I miss...

if the cursor is at the end of line, pull up the next line (like C-k)
else
if the cursor is on non-whitespace, delete all characters to end of line
   that are non-whitespace.
else
if the cursor is on whitespace, delete all characters to the end of line
   that are whitespace.

Does anyone have such a function?

--

@ 2002-11-15 20:02     ` Benjamin Lewis
From: Benjamin Lewis @ 2002-11-15 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 15 Nov 2002, Richard V. Molen wrote:

> Benjamin Lewis <bclewis@cs.sfu.ca> writes:
>
>> Not quite what you want, but you could check out
>> `delete-horizontal-space' and 'just-one-space', bound by default to
>> `M-\' and 'M-<SPC>' respectively.
>
> These key bindings are nice since they mesh well with M-d.
>
> On another editor there was a function like that I miss...
>
> if the cursor is at the end of line, pull up the next line (like C-k)
> else
> if the cursor is on non-whitespace, delete all characters to end of line
> that are non-whitespace.
> else
> if the cursor is on whitespace, delete all characters to the end of line
> that are whitespace.
>
> Does anyone have such a function?

Not sure I understand.  Where would you use this that C-k doesn't do what
you want?

Is the function `delete-trailing-whitespace' helpful?

--
Benjamin Lewis

F u cn rd ths u cnt spl wrth a dm!

* Re: Deleting chunks of whitespace
@ 2002-11-15 21:08       ` Richard V. Molen
       [not found]         ` <mailman.1037463184.24264.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Richard V. Molen @ 2002-11-15 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Benjamin Lewis <bclewis@cs.sfu.ca> writes:

> On 15 Nov 2002, Richard V. Molen wrote:
>
> > Benjamin Lewis <bclewis@cs.sfu.ca> writes:
> >
> >> Not quite what you want, but you could check out
> >> `delete-horizontal-space' and 'just-one-space', bound by default to
> >> `M-\' and 'M-<SPC>' respectively.
> >
> > These key bindings are nice since they mesh well with M-d.
> >
> > On another editor there was a function like that I miss...
> >
> > if the cursor is at the end of line, pull up the next line (like C-k)
> > else
> > if the cursor is on non-whitespace, delete all characters to end of line
> > that are non-whitespace.
> > else
> > if the cursor is on whitespace, delete all characters to the end of line
> > that are whitespace.
> >
> > Does anyone have such a function?
>
> Not sure I understand.  Where would you use this that C-k doesn't do what
> you want?

Though I tried, in review, what I said wasn't quite accurate.

Here's an example of what I'm looking for.  Given this text and
calling this function repeatedly...

... cursor ...
   ... v ...
This is          some-text    on_the_first/line
Second line

... cursor ...
   ... v ...
This is some-text    on_the_first/line
Second line

... cursor ...
   ... v ...
This is on_the_first/line
Second line

... cursor ...
   ... v ...
This is
Second line

... cursor ...
   ... v ...
This is Second line

> Is the function `delete-trailing-whitespace' helpful?

assuming the Second line had whitespace (shown as '@')
... cursor ...
   ... v ...
This is Second line@@@@@@@@

... cursor ...
   ... v ...
This is

This is behavior is similar to alternating between M-SPC & M-d
and then doing a C-k if at there's no more on the current line.
Two exceptions being the: 1. the cursor doesn't move (not a big
deal) 2. M-d would not cut all non-whitespace characters, but
only alphanumeric strings.

--

@ 2002-11-16 15:58         ` Ehud Karni
       [not found]         ` <mailman.1037463184.24264.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ehud Karni @ 2002-11-16 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 15 Nov 2002 13:08:48 -0800, rvmolen@bambecksystems.com (Richard V. Molen) wrote:

> This is behavior is similar to alternating between M-SPC & M-d
> and then doing a C-k if at there's no more on the current line.
> Two exceptions being the: 1. the cursor doesn't move (not a big
> deal) 2. M-d would not cut all non-whitespace characters, but
> only alphanumeric strings.

I think this command will do what you want:

(defun kill-to-non-blank ()
  "kill to 1st non blank (after blank) to right"
  (interactive "*")
       (kill-region (point) (progn (forward-to-non-blank) (point))))

(defun forward-to-non-blank ()
  "go to 1st non blank (after blank) to right"
  (interactive)
       (if (re-search-forward "[ \t\n][^ \t\n]" (point-max) t)
           (backward-char 1)))

I assign it to [C-delete] i.e.
    (define-key global-map '[C-delete] 'kill-to-non-blank)
One hint: on some X-terminals the keypad delete is [C-kp-decimal].

Ehud.

--
 Ehud Karni           Tel: +972-3-7966-561  /"\
 Mivtach - Simon      Fax: +972-3-7966-667  \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign

* Re: Deleting chunks of whitespace
       [not found] <mailman.1037375498.29003.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-11-16 18:54 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-11-16 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Moore, Mathew L" <MooreML@BATTELLE.ORG> writes:

> Is there a quick command sequence that allows me to delete all of
> the whitespace between the point and the next non-whitespace
> character---sort of like the way M-d deletes from the point to the
> end of a word?

C-o C-f M-\ DEL

DEL means <backspace>.

Maybe RET M-\ DEL will also do the trick, but it sometimes might not
if RET does syntax-driven indentation.

kai

@ 2002-11-18 16:26           ` Richard V. Molen
       [not found]             ` <mailman.1037643734.10691.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Richard V. Molen @ 2002-11-18 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ehud Karni" <ehud@unix.mvs.co.il> writes:

> On 15 Nov 2002 13:08:48 -0800, rvmolen@bambecksystems.com (Richard V. Molen) wrote:
> >
> > This is behavior is similar to alternating between M-SPC & M-d
> > and then doing a C-k if at there's no more on the current line.
> > Two exceptions being the: 1. the cursor doesn't move (not a big
> > deal) 2. M-d would not cut all non-whitespace characters, but
> > only alphanumeric strings.
>
> I think this command will do what you want:
>
> (defun kill-to-non-blank ()
>   "kill to 1st non blank (after blank) to right"
>   (interactive "*")
>        (kill-region (point) (progn (forward-to-non-blank) (point))))
>
> (defun forward-to-non-blank ()
>   "go to 1st non blank (after blank) to right"
>   (interactive)
>        (if (re-search-forward "[ \t\n][^ \t\n]" (point-max) t)
>            (backward-char 1)))
>
> I assign it to [C-delete] i.e.
>     (define-key global-map '[C-delete] 'kill-to-non-blank)
> One hint: on some X-terminals the keypad delete is [C-kp-decimal].

Thank you Ehud, this works nicely and does 95% of what I want.  And
it's done with simple, resuable functions.

The remaining 5% occurs at the end of the buffer when there is still a
word and maybe some extra newlines remaining.  Of course, this doesn't
occur often and a couple of C-k's would clean it right up.

--

@ 2002-11-18 18:07             ` Ehud Karni
       [not found]             ` <mailman.1037643734.10691.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ehud Karni @ 2002-11-18 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 18 Nov 2002 08:26:55 -0800, rvmolen@bambecksystems.com (Richard V. Molen) wrote:

> Thank you Ehud, this works nicely and does 95% of what I want.  And
> it's done with simple, resuable functions.
>
> The remaining 5% occurs at the end of the buffer when there is still a
> word and maybe some extra newlines remaining.  Of course, this doesn't
> occur often and a couple of C-k's would clean it right up.

This is very easy to fix (change the `t' to `1' in the 3rd arg to
`re-search-forward', see its help) like this:

(defun forward-to-non-blank ()
  "go to 1st non blank (after blank) to right,
if there is none go to end of buffer"
  (interactive)
       (if (re-search-forward "[ \t\n][^ \t\n]" (point-max) 1)
           (backward-char 1)))

Ehud.

--

@ 2002-11-18 18:55               ` Richard V. Molen
From: Richard V. Molen @ 2002-11-18 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ehud Karni" <ehud@unix.mvs.co.il> writes:

> This is very easy to fix (change the `t' to `1' in the 3rd arg to
> `re-search-forward', see its help) like this:
>
> (defun forward-to-non-blank ()
>   "go to 1st non blank (after blank) to right,
> if there is none go to end of buffer"
>   (interactive)
>        (if (re-search-forward "[ \t\n][^ \t\n]" (point-max) 1)
>            (backward-char 1)))

Thanks again Ehud, it works great now. :-)