all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* newbie install question
@ 2002-11-18 16:39 Marty Landman
From: Marty Landman @ 2002-11-18 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I d/l'd emacs-20.7.tar.gz from download.com, wanting to install this on a
W95 box. When I open it using Iceows I get emacs-20.7.tar and when I open
that file using Iceows I get 2,051 files totalling 52.1 MB.

After selecting them all and attempting to extract it goes so slowly that
it is not practical to do. Is there something I'm doing wrong here? How
long should it take to extract emacs from the windows binary?

Thanks in advance,
Marty

--
SIMPL WebSite Creation: http://face2interface.com/Home/Demo.shtml

* newbie install question
@ 2002-11-18 18:23 Marty Landman
From: Marty Landman @ 2002-11-18 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I d/l'd emacs-20.7.tar.gz from download.com, wanting to install this on a
W95 box. When I open it using Iceows I get emacs-20.7.tar and when I open
that file using Iceows I get 2,051 files totalling 52.1 MB.

After selecting them all and attempting to extract it goes so slowly that
it is not practical to do. Is there something I'm doing wrong here? How
long should it take to extract emacs from the windows binary?

Thanks in advance,
Marty

--
SIMPL WebSite Creation: http://face2interface.com/Home/Demo.shtml

* Re: newbie install question
       [not found] <mailman.1037644786.3925.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-11-18 20:07 ` Richard V. Molen
From: Richard V. Molen @ 2002-11-18 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marty Landman <marty@face2interface.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I d/l'd emacs-20.7.tar.gz from download.com, wanting to install this
> on a W95 box. When I open it using Iceows I get emacs-20.7.tar and
> when I open that file using Iceows I get 2,051 files totalling 52.1 MB.
>
> After selecting them all and attempting to extract it goes so slowly
> that it is not practical to do. Is there something I'm doing wrong
> here? How long should it take to extract emacs from the windows binary?

My guess is that iceows does not properly support GNU zip.

Here is a wonderful FAQ on getting started with Emacs on M$ platforms.

www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/big.html

--
Richard V. Molen

Warning!!
Signature under construction, safety glasses required.