all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs install location from lisp?
@ 2005-08-02 11:20 GGarramuno
From: GGarramuno @ 2005-08-02 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

How can I obtain the emacs install location from within lisp?
I'd like to add some additional subdirs within the lisp/ directory to
my load path.

Something akin to:
(add-to-list load-path (concat emacs-location "lisp/jabber"))

* Re: emacs install location from lisp?
@ 2005-08-02 11:27 ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-08-02 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

GGarramuno@aol.com wrote:

>How can I obtain the emacs install location from within lisp?
>I'd like to add some additional subdirs within the lisp/ directory to
>my load path.
>
>Something akin to:
>(add-to-list load-path (concat emacs-location "lisp/jabber"))

exec-directory

* Re: emacs install location from lisp?
@ 2005-08-02 14:07 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2005-08-02 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

GGarramuno@aol.com writes:

> How can I obtain the emacs install location from within lisp?
> I'd like to add some additional subdirs within the lisp/ directory to
> my load path.

Firstly, you shouldn't need to. All subdiricetories should be automatically
added to the load-path at startup.

Secondly, you should add external packages to site-lisp, not
lisp. This makes upgrading easier and prevents confusion over which
packages came with Emacs and which you added later.