all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How do I find docs for a given library? (minor mode?)
@ 2007-03-21 20:13 jmg3000
From: jmg3000 @ 2007-03-21 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

How do I find the docs for a library after I load it? For example, I
loaded htmlize (`M-x load-library RET htmlize RET') and would like to
see a listing of all the available docs that it comes with.

I tried `C-h ?', but didn't see anything in there that looked like
what I'm after. At first I thought htmlize might be considered a
``minor mode'', and so tried `C-h m', but -- regarding minor modes --
it only said:

,----
| For minor modes, see following pages.
`----

and then I didn't see anything else about minor modes or how to access
any ``following pages'' (besides just paging down through the major
mode doc). Incidentally, I think font-lock-mode and transient-mark-
mode are minor modes, and I've got them enabled, so why aren't they
listed here (in the help screen I get with `C-h m')?

Thanks,
---John

* Re: How do I find docs for a given library? (minor mode?)
@ 2007-03-22  4:14 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.1240.1174536970.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-03-22  4:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: jmg3000@gmail.com
> Date: 21 Mar 2007 13:13:56 -0700
>
> How do I find the docs for a library after I load it? For example, I
> loaded htmlize (`M-x load-library RET htmlize RET') and would like to
> see a listing of all the available docs that it comes with.

Try "M-x finder-commentary RET htmlize RET".  Is this what you were
looking for?

Another possibility is to look up the documentation in the Info
manuals: "C-h F COMMAND RET", where COMMAND is some command from the
library you load.

@ 2007-03-22 17:08   ` jmg3000
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1300.1174657193.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: jmg3000 @ 2007-03-22 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 22, 12:14 am, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
> > From: jmg3...@gmail.com
> > Date: 21 Mar 2007 13:13:56 -0700
>
> > How do I find the docs for a library after I load it? For example, I
> > loaded htmlize (`M-x load-library RET htmlize RET') and would like to
> > see a listing of all the available docs that it comes with.
>
> Try "M-x finder-commentary RET htmlize RET".  Is this what you were
> looking for?

This is very helpful. Thank you. :)

> Another possibility is to look up the documentation in the Info
> manuals: "C-h F COMMAND RET", where COMMAND is some command from the
> library you load.

I get to the GNU Emacs FAQ with `C-h F', but I can't just do, say, ``C-
h F htmlize-buffer RET'' (you mention ``some command from the
library'' I load, and one of the commands in htmlize is htmlize-
buffer), since, when I start typing ``ht''..., the info reader thinks
I'm giving it info commands.

Also, incidentally (though I don't think it's directly related to your
suggestion), this is on Debian Etch, and the Emacs manual is
conspicuously missing...

@ 2007-03-23 13:37     ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1300.1174657193.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-03-23 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: jmg3000@gmail.com
> Date: 22 Mar 2007 10:08:05 -0700
>
> > Another possibility is to look up the documentation in the Info
> > manuals: "C-h F COMMAND RET", where COMMAND is some command from the
> > library you load.
>
> I get to the GNU Emacs FAQ with `C-h F'

So you have Emacs 21.x (please always say in the future what version
you are using), where you should type "C-h C-f COMMAND RET" instead.

> Also, incidentally (though I don't think it's directly related to your
> suggestion), this is on Debian Etch, and the Emacs manual is
> conspicuously missing...

If the manual is missing, then "C-h C-f" will not work, but I suggest
to try that anyway, in case the manual is hiding in some place where
only Emacs can find it.

@ 2007-03-23 14:29       ` jmg3000
From: jmg3000 @ 2007-03-23 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 23, 9:37 am, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
> > From: jmg3...@gmail.com
> > Date: 22 Mar 2007 10:08:05 -0700
>
> > > Another possibility is to look up the documentation in the Info
> > > manuals: "C-h F COMMAND RET", where COMMAND is some command from the
> > > library you load.
>
> > I get to the GNU Emacs FAQ with `C-h F'
>
> So you have Emacs 21.x (please always say in the future what version
> you are using), where you should type "C-h C-f COMMAND RET" instead.

Whoops. Sorry. (21.4 is what you currently get on Debian Etch with an
`apt-get install emacs'.)

> > Also, incidentally (though I don't think it's directly related to your
> > suggestion), this is on Debian Etch, and the Emacs manual is
> > conspicuously missing...
>
> If the manual is missing, then "C-h C-f" will not work, but I suggest
> to try that anyway, in case the manual is hiding in some place where
> only Emacs can find it.

Ah, ok. It looks like that would work if the manual were there (and if
I knew ahead of time what command I wanted docs on). Instead, the
minibuffer tells me:

| Info file emacs does not exist

BTW, after searching around, I think this ``missing Emacs manual on
Debian'' issue has already been discussed, and seems to actually have
been done on purpose due to the DFSG having a problem with the GFDL.

Thanks Eli. Perhaps it may be that it's not immediately useful to be
able to ``list all functions'' in a library, as some of them may not
even be directly useful to a user while editing. I'll stick with
finder-commentary, which looks very handy.

@ 2007-03-23 15:01         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-03-23 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: jmg3000@gmail.com
> Date: 23 Mar 2007 07:29:19 -0700
>

> | Info file emacs does not exist
> |

> BTW, after searching around, I think this ``missing Emacs manual on
> Debian'' issue has already been discussed, and seems to actually have
> been done on purpose due to the DFSG having a problem with the GFDL.

Ah, that nuisance...  Well, you should be able to fetch the manuals
from some other place and install it yourself.  For example, from the
Emacs CVS:

    http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewcvs/emacs/man/?root=emacs
    http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewcvs/emacs/lispref/?root=emacs
    http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewcvs/emacs/lispintro/?root=emacs

You will need the makeinfo and install-info programs (from the Texinfo
package) to build the manuals.

* Re: How do I find docs for a given library? (minor mode?)
@ 2007-03-23 18:41           ` Jiri Pejchal
From: Jiri Pejchal @ 2007-03-23 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: jmg3000@gmail.com
>> Date: 23 Mar 2007 07:29:19 -0700
>>

>> | Info file emacs does not exist
>> |

>> BTW, after searching around, I think this ``missing Emacs manual on
>> Debian'' issue has already been discussed, and seems to actually have
>> been done on purpose due to the DFSG having a problem with the GFDL.

I have installed following packages from unstable

emacs-snapshot-bin-common
emacs-snapshot-common
emacs-snapshot-el
emacs-snapshot-gtk
emacsen-common

and the doc functions (C-h r, C-h f, C-h F) are working properly.

--
Jiri Pejchal

@ 2007-03-26  8:29 ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2007-03-26  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

jmg3000@gmail.com writes:

> How do I find the docs for a library after I load it? For example, I
> loaded htmlize (`M-x load-library RET htmlize RET') and would like to
> see a listing of all the available docs that it comes with.

some packages do not have separate documentation.  luckily, the htmlize
Commentary (stylized comments in the source code) is relatively complete.
you can access it with `M-x finder-commentary RET htmlize RET'.

then try `M-x apropos ^htmlize- RET' for docs on funcs and vars.

thi