all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* repeat last n commands
@ 2007-10-20 13:03 Nikola Skoric
       [not found] ` <mailman.2351.1192889999.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nikola Skoric @ 2007-10-20 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

How do I repeat last few commands? I know that repeating the last
command is C-xz, but what I want is repeat last *two*
comands. Thanks...

--
"Now the storm has passed over me
I'm left to drift on a dead calm sea

* Re: repeat last n commands
@ 2007-10-20 14:19 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.2351.1192889999.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-10-20 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikola Skoric; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 20.10.2007 um 15:03 schrieb Nikola Skoric:

> How do I repeat last few commands? I know that repeating the last
> command is C-xz, but what I want is repeat last *two*
> comands. Thanks...

C-x ESC ESC up up ... ?

--
Greetings

   Pete

fools.

* Re: repeat last n commands
       [not found] ` <mailman.2351.1192889999.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-10-20 15:04   ` Nikola Skoric
From: Nikola Skoric @ 2007-10-20 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dana Sat, 20 Oct 2007 16:19:51 +0200,
Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> kaze:

> Am 20.10.2007 um 15:03 schrieb Nikola Skoric:
>
>> How do I repeat last few commands? I know that repeating the last
>> command is C-xz, but what I want is repeat last *two*
>> comands. Thanks...
>
> C-x ESC ESC up up ... ?

Aham. OK. Replace "commands" with... "things" :-D For instance, I
want to remove first 3 characters in next 5 lines. I do M-3 C-d,
then press down arrow and now I want to repeat that 4 times. C-xz
repeats only my next-line. And I want to repeat M-3 C-d that was
executed before next-line too.

--
"Now the storm has passed over me
I'm left to drift on a dead calm sea
And watch her forever through the cracks in the beams
Nailed across the doorways of the bedrooms of my dreams"

* RE: repeat last n commands
@ 2007-10-20 16:02     ` Drew Adams
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-10-20 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikola Skoric, help-gnu-emacs

> For instance, I
> want to remove first 3 characters in next 5 lines. I do M-3 C-d,
> then press down arrow and now I want to repeat that 4 times. C-xz
> repeats only my next-line. And I want to repeat M-3 C-d that was
> executed before next-line too.

See Info node "Keyboard Macros" in the Emacs manual:
C-h r g keyboard macros RET

Define a keyboard macro for the operations you want to repeat, then execute
the macro repeatedly, at will.

* Re: repeat last n commands
@ 2007-10-20 17:05     ` Bastien
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2358.1192896349.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Bastien @ 2007-10-20 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Nikola Skoric <nick-news@net4u.hr> writes:

> Dana Sat, 20 Oct 2007 16:19:51 +0200,
> Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> kaze:
>>
>> Am 20.10.2007 um 15:03 schrieb Nikola Skoric:
>>
>>> How do I repeat last few commands? I know that repeating the last
>>> command is C-xz, but what I want is repeat last *two*
>>> comands. Thanks...
>>
>> C-x ESC ESC up up ... ?
>
> Aham. OK. Replace "commands" with... "things" :-D For instance, I
> want to remove first 3 characters in next 5 lines. I do M-3 C-d,
> then press down arrow and now I want to repeat that 4 times. C-xz
> repeats only my next-line. And I want to repeat M-3 C-d that was
> executed before next-line too.

I guess you need macros:

  (info "(emacs)Basic Keyboard Macro")

--
Bastien

* Re: repeat last n commands
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2358.1192896349.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-10-20 18:20       ` Nikola Skoric
From: Nikola Skoric @ 2007-10-20 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dana Sat, 20 Oct 2007 18:05:47 +0100,
Bastien <bzg@altern.org> kaze:
> Nikola Skoric <nick-news@net4u.hr> writes:
>> Aham. OK. Replace "commands" with... "things" :-D For instance, I
>> want to remove first 3 characters in next 5 lines. I do M-3 C-d,
>> then press down arrow and now I want to repeat that 4 times. C-xz
>> repeats only my next-line. And I want to repeat M-3 C-d that was
>> executed before next-line too.
>
> I guess you need macros:
>
>   (info "(emacs)Basic Keyboard Macro")

Emacs truly is the editor of the Lord. Blessed be the day I decided
to use emacs.

Anyway, thanks, keyboard macros are just what I needed.

--

@ 2007-10-20 20:11         ` Dieter Wilhelm
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2007-10-20 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikola Skoric; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Nikola Skoric <nick-news@net4u.hr> writes:

> Emacs truly is the editor of the Lord. Blessed be the day I decided
> to use emacs.

Here seems to be another qualified disciple for The Church of Emacs,
have a look my son at

http://www.dina.kvl.dk/~abraham/religion/

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany

* Re: repeat last n commands
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2358.1192896349.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-10-23 13:21     ` Hans-Christoph Wirth
From: Hans-Christoph Wirth @ 2007-10-23 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Nikola Skoric <nick-news@net4u.hr> wrote:

>  Aham. OK. Replace "commands" with... "things" :-D For instance, I
>  want to remove first 3 characters in next 5 lines. I do M-3 C-d,
>  then press down arrow and now I want to repeat that 4 times. C-xz
>  repeats only my next-line. And I want to repeat M-3 C-d that was
>  executed before next-line too.

Use kill-rectangle, C-x r k

* Re: repeat last n commands
       [not found] <mailman.2357.1192896166.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-10-24 12:58 ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2007-10-24 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Define a keyboard macro for the operations you want to repeat, then
> execute the macro repeatedly, at will.

I think there is also a way to use `view-lossage', i.e. the keyboard
history, as a template for a keyboard macro. This means that you can
even decide you want a macro for what you just typed. I don't remember
how to do it however, but I am sure someone else here does :)