all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* GNU Emacs Reference Manual
@ 2007-12-24 23:54 cvelasquez.gnu
From: cvelasquez.gnu @ 2007-12-24 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi, I'm looking for some kind of Emacs Reference Manual, based on the
Official Emacs Manual (info) but only with the most important and
basic summaries. Is there anything like that or should I write it
myself?

* Re: GNU Emacs Reference Manual
@ 2007-12-25 19:07 ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-12-25 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cvelasquez.gnu; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

cvelasquez.gnu@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi, I'm looking for some kind of Emacs Reference Manual, based on the
> Official Emacs Manual (info) but only with the most important and
> basic summaries. Is there anything like that or should I write it
> myself?

Perhaps you want to start reading here

  http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/EmacsNewbie

* Re: GNU Emacs Reference Manual
@ 2007-12-25 20:56 ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2007-12-25 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cvelasquez.gnu; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 > Hi, I'm looking for some kind of Emacs Reference Manual, based on the
 > Official Emacs Manual (info) but only with the most important and
 > basic summaries. Is there anything like that or should I write it
 > myself?

The Emacs manual is a really a user manual, the reference manual being the
Emacs Lisp Reference manual.  In my experience, a reference manual tries to be
exhaustive and covers details not often needed, not just provide basic
summaries.

If you are trying to get/provide a basic understanding of Emacs without the
effort of skip reading the Emacs Manual then the tutorial (`C-h t' or the top
item in Helpon the menu-bar) might provide what you are looking for

* Re: GNU Emacs Reference Manual
@ 2007-12-25 21:05 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-12-25 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: cvelasquez.gnu@gmail.com
> Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 15:54:47 -0800 (PST)
>
> Hi, I'm looking for some kind of Emacs Reference Manual, based on the
> Official Emacs Manual (info) but only with the most important and
> basic summaries.

There's a reference card in the distribution, a PostScript file that
produces two pages of most important commands when printed.