all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Looking for elisp package to help form good habits
@ 2010-04-20 13:06 filebat Mark
From: filebat Mark @ 2010-04-20 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: ahei0802

Hi emacsers

As the time going, I'm always trying to push myself to form these or those
good habits.
But it's quite hard, and I used to forget them, when I am off the feet
everyday.

I'm wondering, is there any elisp package can help me to form habits.
Like show some random messages from a file in the minibuffer times and times
again.

Any comment is welcome. Reinventing the wheel with my pool hammer, would be
my last choice.

--
Thanks & Regards

Denny Zhang

* Re: Looking for elisp package to help form good habits
@ 2010-04-20 17:19 ` filebat Mark
From: filebat Mark @ 2010-04-20 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: ahei0802

At the second thought, I actually don't care about the random pick of
habits.
Thus diary-mode can meet my requirement.

Thanks all the same.

--

@ 2010-04-20 22:13 ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-04-20 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: filebat Mark; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, ahei0802

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 3:06 PM, filebat Mark <filebat.mark@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi emacsers
>
> As the time going, I'm always trying to push myself to form these or those
> good habits.
> But it's quite hard, and I used to forget them, when I am off the feet
> everyday.
>
> I'm wondering, is there any elisp package can help me to form habits.
> Like show some random messages from a file in the minibuffer times and times
> again.
>
> Any comment is welcome. Reinventing the wheel with my pool hammer, would be
> my last choice.

Maybe you want to try pause.el that will remind you to take a pause
and do a yoga exercise it points to if you want to.

* Re: Looking for elisp package to help form good habits
@ 2010-04-20 22:14 ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2010-04-20 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: filebat Mark; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, ahei0802

filebat Mark <filebat.mark@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi emacsers
>
> As the time going, I'm always trying to push myself to form these or those good
> habits.
> But it's quite hard, and I used to forget them, when I am off the feet
> everyday.
>
> I'm wondering, is there any elisp package can help me to form habits.

Hi Denny,

There is org-habit.el in Org-mode by John Wiegley. See section 5.3.3 of
the manual

http://orgmode.org/manual/Tracking-your-habits.html#Tracking-your-habits

Dan

@ 2010-04-21  0:39   ` filebat Mark
From: filebat Mark @ 2010-04-21  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Dan Davison, lennart.borgman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, ahei0802

Hi Dan & lennart

Thank you very much.

I will try both pause.el  and org-habit.el, and get the response to you, if
necessary.
They all looks very interesting! Thanks again.

Regards,
Denny

--

@ 2010-04-21  7:13   ` Gary .
From: Gary . @ 2010-04-21  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 4/21/10, Dan Davison wrote:
> filebat Mark writes:
>> I'm wondering, is there any elisp package can help me to form habits.
>
> There is org-habit.el in Org-mode by John Wiegley. See section 5.3.3 of
> the manual
>
> http://orgmode.org/manual/Tracking-your-habits.html#Tracking-your-habits

You don't even need org-habit-el, I think -
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/tracking-habits.php (in case
your emacs / orgmode version doesn't support org-habit).

Of course, getting into the habit of checking orgmode...