all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Meta key?
@ 2004-10-03  6:25 bgm-rao
From: bgm-rao @ 2004-10-03  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

I use VNC from windows to work on Linux. I am not able use the Alt/Win key as Meta key in emacs?
How do I get this to work?

Regards,
Madhu

* Re: Meta key?
@ 2004-11-12 13:08 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-11-12 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

bgm-rao@ieee.org writes:

> I use VNC from windows to work on Linux. I am not able use the
> Alt/Win key as Meta key in emacs?

What does Emacs show when you hit Alt+x, then C-h l?

Kai

* Re: Meta key?
@ 2004-11-12 16:47 bgm-rao
From: bgm-rao @ 2004-11-12 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai,
        I get a history of all things I did on the emacs window:

<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement>
<mouse-movement> A-x C-h l

Is there something I need to change to get the intended behaviour?

Thanks and Regards.

Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 14:08:48 +0100
From: Kai Grossjohann <kai@emptydomain.de>
Subject: Re: Meta key?
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

@ 2004-11-14 12:54 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-11-14 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

bgm-rao@ieee.org writes:

> Kai,
>         I get a history of all things I did on the emacs window:
>
> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement>
> <mouse-movement> A-x C-h l

The A-x shows you that Emacs is seeing the meta key as Alt, instead of
Meta.  (Normally, Emacs will show M-x instead of A-x.)

Can you reconfigure VNC to change the behavior of the Meta/Alt key?

Does it work to use the key to the left of the Alt key as Meta?

Kai

* Re: Meta key?
       [not found] <mailman.996.1096785148.2017.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-11-14 18:43 ` graham
From: graham @ 2004-11-14 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

bgm-rao@ieee.org writes:

> I use VNC from windows to work on Linux. I am not able use the
> Alt/Win key as Meta key in emacs?
> How do I get this to work?

If you're using TightVNC, try starting the Linux Xvnc server with the
-compatiblekbd option.

Graham