all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to enable tool-bar permanently?
@ 2005-11-16 10:00 Paminu
From: Paminu @ 2005-11-16 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there some way to enable the tool-bar permanently in my .emacs file?

I have read that I can use the .Xresources but I would rather have it in
my .emacs file.

What is the reason the the tool-bar is disabled by default?

* Re: How to enable tool-bar permanently?
@ 2005-11-16 11:34 ` Anselm Helbig
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Anselm Helbig @ 2005-11-16 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I have read that I can use the .Xresources but I would rather have it in
> my .emacs file.

now, that's an easy one:

	(tool-bar-mode 1)

> What is the reason the the tool-bar is disabled by default?

well, that's a matter of taste, of course. the tool-bar takes up a lot
of screen real estate, and does not offer that many functions (like,
compared to the menu bar). and you can do everything with the keyboard
anyway. furthermore, the toolbar was added in gnu emacs 21 (someone
correct me if i'm wrong), so it presumably was turned off by default
to not confuse users switching from gnu emacs 20 too much.

but i am not an emacs developer, so, just guessing...

kind regards,

anselm

* Re: How to enable tool-bar permanently?
@ 2005-11-16 12:19 ` Sunil Yeddu
From: Sunil Yeddu @ 2005-11-16 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 11/16/05, Paminu <jadajada@asd.com> wrote:

> Is there some way to enable the tool-bar permanently in my .emacs file?

Add this to your .emacs file.
(tool-bar-mode 1)

Sunil

* Re: How to enable tool-bar permanently?
@ 2005-11-16 15:43 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-11-16 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paminu wrote:
 > What is the reason the the tool-bar is disabled by default?

It is enabled by default.  If it's disabled for you, default.el or
site-start.el is to blame; to prove that, invoke emacs with the
--no-init-file and --no-site-file options.

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: How to enable tool-bar permanently?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-11-16 17:58 ` Meatball
From: Meatball @ 2005-11-16 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paminu <jadajada@asd.com> writes:

> Is there some way to enable the tool-bar permanently in my .emacs file?
>
> I have read that I can use the .Xresources but I would rather have it in
> my .emacs file.
>
> What is the reason the the tool-bar is disabled by default?

add this into your .emacs

(tool-bar-mode t)

--
Regards
Meatball

COMPASS [for the CDC-6000 series] is the sort of assembler one expects from
a corporation whose president codes in octal.
		-- J.N. Gray

* Re: How to enable tool-bar permanently?
@ 2005-11-16 18:03   ` Olive
From: Olive @ 2005-11-16 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers wrote:
> Paminu wrote:
>  > What is the reason the the tool-bar is disabled by default?
>
> It is enabled by default.  If it's disabled for you, default.el or
> site-start.el is to blame; to prove that, invoke emacs with the
> --no-init-file and --no-site-file options.

I have seen some distributions (it was Mandrake 10.0) that have patched
the source code of emacs (the C source) to disabled it by default; so
that in these distributions --no-init-file and --no-site-file won't work.

Olive

* Re: How to enable tool-bar permanently?
@ 2005-11-20  9:18   ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2005-11-20  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Anselm Helbig <anselm@chemie.fu-berlin.de> writes:

> > I have read that I can use the .Xresources but I would rather have it in
> > my .emacs file.
>
> now, that's an easy one:
>
> 	(tool-bar-mode 1)
>
> > What is the reason the the tool-bar is disabled by default?
>
> well, that's a matter of taste, of course. the tool-bar takes up a lot
> of screen real estate, and does not offer that many functions (like,
> compared to the menu bar). and you can do everything with the keyboard
> anyway. furthermore, the toolbar was added in gnu emacs 21 (someone
> correct me if i'm wrong), so it presumably was turned off by default
> to not confuse users switching from gnu emacs 20 too much.
>
> but i am not an emacs developer, so, just guessing...
>
> kind regards,
>
> anselm

Actually, with the first emacs 21, the tool bar was turned on by
default with most distros - I remember all the posts to this and other
emacs groups cursing the waste of real estate and wanting to turn it
off.

The OP post was the first I knew it was now off by default - and a
bloody good thing to!

Tim

--
Tim Cross