all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs hebrew support for win32
@ 2006-07-07 10:05 ben
From: ben @ 2006-07-07 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can anybody give me, PLEASE, a step by step instructions on how to work
with hebrew text in my emacs.

I am working under Windows XP.
I searched the Web only to find partial information.

Desperate...
Ben.

* Re: emacs hebrew support for win32
@ 2006-07-07 10:12 ` David Kastrup
       [not found] ` <mailman.3849.1152271503.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-07-07 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

"ben" <benmose@gmail.com> writes:

> Can anybody give me, PLEASE, a step by step instructions on how to
> work with hebrew text in my emacs.
>
> I am working under Windows XP.
> I searched the Web only to find partial information.

Infeasible without using the emacs-bidi branch (unless you have no
problems writing texts backwards), and that is quite experimental and
requires considerable skills to set up and keep running.  Maybe you'd
want to ask Eli Zaretskii.

Sorry for that,

דוד

* Re: emacs hebrew support for win32
@ 2006-07-07 11:24 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.3849.1152271503.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-07-07 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "ben" <benmose@gmail.com>
> Date: 7 Jul 2006 03:05:04 -0700
>
> Can anybody give me, PLEASE, a step by step instructions on how to work
> with hebrew text in my emacs.

Hebrew input is supported, but not the bidirectional editing (without
which it doesn't make much sense to type Hebrew text in Emacs).

@ 2006-07-07 13:50   ` Pascal Bourguignon
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2006-07-07 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: "ben" <benmose@gmail.com>
>> Date: 7 Jul 2006 03:05:04 -0700
>>
>> Can anybody give me, PLEASE, a step by step instructions on how to work
>> with hebrew text in my emacs.
>
> Hebrew input is supported, but not the bidirectional editing (without
> which it doesn't make much sense to type Hebrew text in Emacs).

There are two hebrew modes hanging on the web,
and you can always use picture-mode:

M-x picture-mode RET C-u 70 C-f C-c <
and:
                                                         .תרבע דמול ינא

Of course, it's rather crude, and with the characters in the reversed
order in the file...

"You cannot really appreciate Dilbert unless you read it in the
original Klingon"

* Re: emacs hebrew support for win32
@ 2006-07-07 14:36   ` ben
From: ben @ 2006-07-07 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup כתב:
> "ben" <benmose@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Can anybody give me, PLEASE, a step by step instructions on how to
> > work with hebrew text in my emacs.
> >
> > I am working under Windows XP.
> > I searched the Web only to find partial information.
>
> Infeasible without using the emacs-bidi branch (unless you have no
> problems writing texts backwards), and that is quite experimental and
> requires considerable skills to set up and keep running.  Maybe you'd
> want to ask Eli Zaretskii.
>
> Sorry for that,
>
> דוד
>
> --
> David Kastrup, Kriemhildstr. 15, 44793 Bochum
thanks for your answer.
how can I get and compile that branch for win32?
And where can I find some experience regarding its setup and keeping it
running?

@ 2006-07-07 14:38   ` ben
From: ben @ 2006-07-07 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Zaretskii כתב:
> > From: "ben" <benmose@gmail.com>
> > Date: 7 Jul 2006 03:05:04 -0700
> >
> > Can anybody give me, PLEASE, a step by step instructions on how to work
> > with hebrew text in my emacs.
>
> Hebrew input is supported, but not the bidirectional editing (without
> which it doesn't make much sense to type Hebrew text in Emacs).

What do mean by Hebrew input?
How can i activate it.

@ 2006-07-07 14:43     ` ben
From: ben @ 2006-07-07 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> There are two hebrew modes hanging on the web,
> and you can always use picture-mode:

Do you mean hebrew.el and hebeng.el?
They dont seem to work.

Using picture-mode only succeeded in enabling right-to-left input but
the characters are not hebrew characters.

I am working in the default installation of xemacs 21.4.19 so maybe I
need some fonts (where can i find them)?

grateful

@ 2006-07-07 14:45     ` Pascal Bourguignon
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2006-07-07 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

"ben" <benmose@gmail.com> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii כתב:
>> > From: "ben" <benmose@gmail.com>
>> > Date: 7 Jul 2006 03:05:04 -0700
>> >
>> > Can anybody give me, PLEASE, a step by step instructions on how to work
>> > with hebrew text in my emacs.
>>
>> Hebrew input is supported, but not the bidirectional editing (without
>> which it doesn't make much sense to type Hebrew text in Emacs).
>

> What do mean by Hebrew input?
> How can i activate it.

M-x set-input-method RET hebrew RET

PLEASE NOTE: Some quantum physics theories suggest that when the
consumer is not directly observing this product, it may cease to
exist or will exist only in a vague and undetermined state.

* Re: emacs hebrew support for win32
@ 2006-07-07 14:45     ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-07-07 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

"ben" <benmose@gmail.com> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii כתב:
>> > From: "ben" <benmose@gmail.com>
>> > Date: 7 Jul 2006 03:05:04 -0700
>> >
>> > Can anybody give me, PLEASE, a step by step instructions on how to work
>> > with hebrew text in my emacs.
>>
>> Hebrew input is supported, but not the bidirectional editing (without
>> which it doesn't make much sense to type Hebrew text in Emacs).
>

> What do mean by Hebrew input?
> How can i activate it.

C-u C-\ hebrew RET

* Re: emacs hebrew support for win32
@ 2006-07-07 14:48       ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-07-07 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

"ben" <benmose@gmail.com> writes:

>> There are two hebrew modes hanging on the web,
>> and you can always use picture-mode:
>

> Do you mean hebrew.el and hebeng.el?
> They dont seem to work.
>
> Using picture-mode only succeeded in enabling right-to-left input but
> the characters are not hebrew characters.
>
> I am working in the default installation of xemacs 21.4.19 so maybe I
> need some fonts (where can i find them)?

XEmacs is not Emacs, and in particular XEmacs 21.4 on Windows has no
working MULE (multi-language capabilities).

Please ask on the respective XEmacs groups and lists.  You'll find
them listed on <URL:http://xemacs.org/Lists/index.html>.

* Re: emacs hebrew support for win32
@ 2006-07-07 14:50       ` ben
From: ben @ 2006-07-07 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

> M-x set-input-method RET hebrew RET

my xemacs does not have a command 'set-input-method'?

gratefull

@ 2006-07-07 14:52       ` ben
From: ben @ 2006-07-07 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastru
> C-u C-\ hebrew RET

My xemacs does not recognize C-\ so it does not work.

yours

@ 2006-07-07 14:53         ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-07-07 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

"ben" <benmose@gmail.com> writes:

>> M-x set-input-method RET hebrew RET
>
> my xemacs does not have a command 'set-input-method'?

Then maybe you should have asked about XEmacs instead of Emacs, and
preferably on a mailing list or newsgroup dedicated to XEmacs instead
of Emacs.

* Re: emacs hebrew support for win32
@ 2006-07-07 15:05           ` ben
From: ben @ 2006-07-07 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Then maybe you should have asked about XEmacs instead of Emacs, and
> preferably on a mailing list or newsgroup dedicated to XEmacs instead
> of Emacs.

Sorry, I will do just that.

@ 2006-07-07 15:15     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-07-07 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "ben" <benmose@gmail.com>
> Date: 7 Jul 2006 07:36:17 -0700
>
> how can I get and compile that branch for win32?

Please don't bother unless you are willing to work on it: it is so
unstable that it will certainly crash as soon as you turn on the bidi
flag in any buffer.

I wrote the code to implement the initial stage of bidi display, but
unfortunately I have no time to work on making that version stable,
and no one else volunteered to help.

* Re: emacs hebrew support for win32
@ 2006-07-07 15:16     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-07-07 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "ben" <benmose@gmail.com>
> Date: 7 Jul 2006 07:38:07 -0700
> >
> > Hebrew input is supported, but not the bidirectional editing (without
> > which it doesn't make much sense to type Hebrew text in Emacs).
>
> What do mean by Hebrew input?

Typing Hebrew characters, even on keyboards and locales that cannot
produce Hebrew letters.

> How can i activate it.

C-u C-\ hebrew RET