all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Save Options => Save Options in This Menu
@ 2008-10-09 21:40 Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-10-09 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Emacs Devel

I got a question from a user that was not able to save options. He was
using the "Save Options" entry in the Options menu and thought that this
entry would save the options he had changed the custom buffer.

That seems like a natural mistake to me. Could we please change the name
of this menu entry, maybe like my suggestion in the subject line?

* Re: Save Options => Save Options in This Menu
@ 2008-10-09 23:48 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-10-09 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: Emacs Devel

> I got a question from a user that was not able to save options. He was
> using the "Save Options" entry in the Options menu and thought that this
> entry would save the options he had changed the custom buffer.

> That seems like a natural mistake to me. Could we please change the name
> of this menu entry, maybe like my suggestion in the subject line?

Maybe just "Save above options",

* Re: Save Options => Save Options in This Menu
@ 2008-10-09 23:50   ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-10-09 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Emacs Devel

Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> I got a question from a user that was not able to save options. He was
>> using the "Save Options" entry in the Options menu and thought that this
>> entry would save the options he had changed the custom buffer.
>
>> That seems like a natural mistake to me. Could we please change the name
>> of this menu entry, maybe like my suggestion in the subject line?
>
> Maybe just "Save above options",

Yes, that is probably better. And put a dividing line below it for clarity.

* Re: Save Options => Save Options in This Menu
@ 2008-10-10  7:40   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-10-10  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: lennart.borgman, emacs-devel

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 19:48:26 -0400
> Cc: Emacs Devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> > I got a question from a user that was not able to save options. He was
> > using the "Save Options" entry in the Options menu and thought that this
> > entry would save the options he had changed the custom buffer.
>
> > That seems like a natural mistake to me. Could we please change the name
> > of this menu entry, maybe like my suggestion in the subject line?
>
> Maybe just "Save above options",

Maybe we should do what the user expects, i.e. save the customized
options as well.  Are there any downsides to that?

* Re: Save Options => Save Options in This Menu
@ 2008-11-02 19:18     ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2008-11-02 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: lennart.borgman, Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

> Maybe we should do what the user expects, i.e. save the customized
> options as well.  Are there any downsides to that?

I think I would be annoyed if it did but maybe I'm not the intended
audience. Now and then I fiddle with certain options using Customize,
to see what they do. If I don't like the effects I might reset the
changed options or just forget about them, sure that they will be
reset when I restart Emacs. So if this "save options" command saved
all of those it would not be what I would like. Of course, if the
command was named "Save all unsaved options" then it would be another
matter.

Just my 20 öre.

/Mathias