all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Using variables $ma in expression 'let'
@ 2020-12-06 19:57 daniela-spit
From: daniela-spit @ 2020-12-06 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help Gnu Emacs

Notices that some code uses '$' in variable names.

What is it about?

   (let ((deactivate-mark nil) $ma $mb)

* Re: Using variables $ma in expression 'let'
@ 2020-12-06 20:02 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2020-12-06 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, Dec 06, 2020 at 08:57:22PM +0100, daniela-spit@gmx.it wrote:
> Notices that some code uses '$' in variable names.
>
> What is it about?
>
>    (let ((deactivate-mark nil) $ma $mb)

Seen from Lisp's point of view, it's just a plain normal variable.

But perhaps the code author wants to convey something to you,
the reader.

Cheers
 - t

* Re: Using variables $ma in expression 'let'
@ 2020-12-06 20:15   ` daniela-spit
> > Notices that some code uses '$' in variable names.
> >
> > What is it about?
> >
> >    (let ((deactivate-mark nil) $ma $mb)
>
> Seen from Lisp's point of view, it's just a plain normal variable.
>
> But perhaps the code author wants to convey something to you,
> the reader.

Thank you, I simply wondered if it was some special tag interpreted
by emacs.

Do authors usually try to convey that a variable is only part of a function?

@ 2020-12-06 21:23     ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2020-12-06 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: daniela-spit; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs