all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Setting org-todo-keyword-faces
@ 2020-12-11 17:10 daniela-spit
From: daniela-spit @ 2020-12-11 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help Gnu Emacs

I would be grateful to know how I could make the following setup
more organised.

(setq org-todo-keyword-faces
   '(("TODO"        . (:background "black"   :foreground "red"
                       :weight bold))
     ("STARTED"     . (:background "black"   :foreground "magenta"
                       :weight bold))
     ("WAITING"     . (:background "magenta" :foreground "black"
                       :weight bold))
     ("FINALISE"    . (:background "magenta" :foreground "black"
                       :weight bold))
     ("DONE"        . (:background "orange"  :foreground "black"
                       :weight bold))
     ("CRITICAL"    . (:background "blak"    :foreground "red"
                       :weight bold))
     ("CR-STARTED"  . (:background "red"     :foreground "black"
                       :weight bold))
     ("CR-WAITING"  . (:background "red"     :foreground "black"
                       :weight bold))
     ("CR-FINALISE" . (:background "red"     :foreground "black"
                       :weight bold))
     ("CR-DONE"     . (:background "orange"  :foreground "black"
                       :weight bold)) ))

* Re: Setting org-todo-keyword-faces
@ 2020-12-11 18:56 ` TRS-80
From: TRS-80 @ 2020-12-11 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2020-12-11 12:10, daniela-spit@gmx.it wrote:
> I would be grateful to know how I could make the following setup
> more organised.

What is it you don't like about it?  The keywords?  Color scheme?  Code
declaration too long?  Or something else?

Cheers,
TRS-80

* Re: Setting org-todo-keyword-faces
@ 2020-12-11 20:01   ` daniela-spit
From: daniela-spit @ 2020-12-11 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TRS-80; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I have two sequences and I might add more

(setq org-todo-keywords
   '((seqeunce "TODO" "STARTED" "WAITING" "FINALISE" "|" "DONE")
     (sequence "CRITICAL" "CR-STARTED" "CR-WAITING" "CR-FINALISE"
                "|" "CR-DONE")  ))

When setting the colour faces, I would prefer if I can categarise
the sequences better.

I wonder how people manage multiple sequences.

@ 2020-12-11 21:33 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2020-12-11 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: daniela-spit; +Cc: Help Gnu Emacs

On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 06:10:03PM +0100, daniela-spit@gmx.it wrote:
> I would be grateful to know how I could make the following setup
> more organised.
>
> (setq org-todo-keyword-faces
>    '(("TODO"        . (:background "black"   :foreground "red"
>                        :weight bold))
>      ("STARTED"     . (:background "black"   :foreground "magenta"
>                        :weight bold))
>      ("WAITING"     . (:background "magenta" :foreground "black"
>                        :weight bold))
>      ("FINALISE"    . (:background "magenta" :foreground "black"
>                        :weight bold))
>      ("DONE"        . (:background "orange"  :foreground "black"
>                        :weight bold))
>      ("CRITICAL"    . (:background "blak"    :foreground "red"
>                        :weight bold))
>      ("CR-STARTED"  . (:background "red"     :foreground "black"
>                        :weight bold))
>      ("CR-WAITING"  . (:background "red"     :foreground "black"
>                        :weight bold))
>      ("CR-FINALISE" . (:background "red"     :foreground "black"
>                        :weight bold))
>      ("CR-DONE"     . (:background "orange"  :foreground "black"

Hm. For me it's tough to understand what you are after. I
get from your other mail that there are two sequences in
there. Their styles aren't "parallel" though.

You want more concise code? The lowest hanging fruit seems
to be the repeated :weight bold, then.

To try to get a hold on possible symmetries, I rearranged
things like so (rows are same background, columns same
foreground):

    | bg \ fg | red      | magenta | black       |
    |---------+----------+---------+-------------|
    | red     |          |         | CR-STARTED  |
    |         |          |         | CR-WAITING  |
    |         |          |         | CR-FINALISE |
    |---------+----------+---------+-------------|
    | magenta |          |         | WAITING     |
    |         |          |         | FINALISE    |
    |---------+----------+---------+-------------|
    | black   | TODO     | STARTED |             |
    |         | CRITICAL |         |             |
    |---------+----------+---------+-------------|
    | orange  |          |         | DONE        |
    |         |          |         | CR-DONE     |

Of the possible 12 combinations, only 5 are used (the diagonal
doesn't make much sense, for obvious reasons). Perhaps name those
five and give them faces? This would depend on whether you're
planning to fill that table more densely or not.

Surely you might make the list more compact with a function
or macro roughly doing

  (sty "black" "magenta") -> '(:background "black" :foreground "magenta"
                               :weight bold)

...but I don't know whether you're after this, either.

In a nutshell, I'm not sure about what you're up to.

@ 2020-12-11 21:45   ` daniela-spit
> > I would be grateful to know how I could make the following setup
> > more organised.
> >
> > (setq org-todo-keyword-faces
> >    '(("TODO"        . (:background "black"   :foreground "red"
> >                        :weight bold))
> >      ("STARTED"     . (:background "black"   :foreground "magenta"
> >                        :weight bold))
> >      ("WAITING"     . (:background "magenta" :foreground "black"
> >                        :weight bold))
> >      ("FINALISE"    . (:background "magenta" :foreground "black"
> >                        :weight bold))
> >      ("DONE"        . (:background "orange"  :foreground "black"
> >                        :weight bold))
> >      ("CRITICAL"    . (:background "blak"    :foreground "red"
> >                        :weight bold))
> >      ("CR-STARTED"  . (:background "red"     :foreground "black"
> >                        :weight bold))
> >      ("CR-WAITING"  . (:background "red"     :foreground "black"
> >                        :weight bold))
> >      ("CR-FINALISE" . (:background "red"     :foreground "black"
> >                        :weight bold))
> >      ("CR-DONE"     . (:background "orange"  :foreground "black"
>
> Hm. For me it's tough to understand what you are after. I
> get from your other mail that there are two sequences in
> there. Their styles aren't "parallel" though.
>
> You want more concise code? The lowest hanging fruit seems
> to be the repeated :weight bold, then.
>
> To try to get a hold on possible symmetries, I rearranged
> things like so (rows are same background, columns same
> foreground):
>
>     | bg \ fg | red      | magenta | black       |
>     |---------+----------+---------+-------------|
>     | red     |          |         | CR-STARTED  |
>     |         |          |         | CR-WAITING  |
>     |         |          |         | CR-FINALISE |
>     |---------+----------+---------+-------------|
>     | magenta |          |         | WAITING     |
>     |         |          |         | FINALISE    |
>     |---------+----------+---------+-------------|
>     | black   | TODO     | STARTED |             |
>     |         | CRITICAL |         |             |
>     |---------+----------+---------+-------------|
>     | orange  |          |         | DONE        |
>     |         |          |         | CR-DONE     |
>
> Of the possible 12 combinations, only 5 are used (the diagonal
> doesn't make much sense, for obvious reasons). Perhaps name those
> five and give them faces? This would depend on whether you're
> planning to fill that table more densely or not.

Table is interesting, have not looks at colour settings that way.

> Surely you might make the list more compact with a function
> or macro roughly doing
>
>   (sty "black" "magenta") -> '(:background "black" :foreground "magenta"
>                                :weight bold)

Yes, using a style of sorts.  I like it.

With two possible sequences, I first have to go through the first, before
I get to the second.  Is that customary or are there other ways?

@ 2020-12-11 21:56     ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2020-12-11 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: daniela-spit; +Cc: Help Gnu Emacs