all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* source of `package cl is deprecated'
@ 2020-12-04 18:13 Leo Butler
From: Leo Butler @ 2020-12-04 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs

I updated/upgraded my debian system this morning, which pulled in emacs
27.1.

A number of my home-rolled emacs extensions relied on cl; I have
migrated them to cl-lib, but there is an extension that is still causing
emacs to emit the above-mentioned warning on start-up (and when run with
--daemon, emacs halts and must be killed, which I guess is a bug).

Question: how do I trace/find the offending bit of code? Ideally, I
would like to be able to force an error and use the debugger, but I
can't figure out how to do that.

TIA,
Leo

* Re: source of `package cl is deprecated'
@ 2020-12-04 20:27 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-12-04 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Leo Butler <leo.butler@umanitoba.ca>
> Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2020 12:13:09 -0600
>
> I updated/upgraded my debian system this morning, which pulled in emacs
> 27.1.
>
> A number of my home-rolled emacs extensions relied on cl; I have
> migrated them to cl-lib, but there is an extension that is still causing
> emacs to emit the above-mentioned warning on start-up (and when run with
> --daemon, emacs halts and must be killed, which I guess is a bug).
>
> Question: how do I trace/find the offending bit of code? Ideally, I
> would like to be able to force an error and use the debugger, but I
> can't figure out how to do that.

Did you try setting debug-on-message to a regexp that matches the
warning?

* Re: source of `package cl is deprecated'
@ 2020-12-04 20:36 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2020-12-04 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Question: how do I trace/find the offending bit of code? Ideally, I

Maybe add the following to your init file:

    (with-eval-after-load 'cl (debug t))

* Re: source of `package cl is deprecated'
@ 2020-12-04 20:46 ` Omar Polo
From: Omar Polo @ 2020-12-04 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Butler; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Leo Butler <leo.butler@umanitoba.ca> writes:

> I updated/upgraded my debian system this morning, which pulled in emacs
> 27.1.
>
> A number of my home-rolled emacs extensions relied on cl; I have
> migrated them to cl-lib, but there is an extension that is still causing
> emacs to emit the above-mentioned warning on start-up (and when run with
> --daemon, emacs halts and must be killed, which I guess is a bug).
>
> Question: how do I trace/find the offending bit of code? Ideally, I
> would like to be able to force an error and use the debugger, but I
> can't figure out how to do that.
>
> TIA,
> Leo

You can find which files depends on cl using something like this IIRC

    (require 'loadhist)
    (file-dependents (feature-file 'cl))

Anyway, using cl shouldn’t cause emacs to hang, so that must be a
separate bug.

HTH

* Re: source of `package cl is deprecated'
@ 2020-12-04 21:11   ` Christopher Dimech
From: Christopher Dimech @ 2020-12-04 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Omar Polo; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Leo Butler

  (setq debug-on-error t)
   (setq debug-ignored-errors nil)
   (setq debug-on-message "unescaped character literals"))

---------------------
Christopher Dimech
General Administrator - Naiad Informatics - GNU Project (Geocomputation)
- Geophysical Simulation
- Geological Subsurface Mapping
- Disaster Preparedness and Mitigation
- Natural Resource Exploration and Production
- Free Software Advocacy

@ 2020-12-04 21:30   ` Leo Butler
From: Leo Butler @ 2020-12-04 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Omar Polo <op@omarpolo.com> writes:

> Caution: This message was sent from outside the University of Manitoba.
>
> Leo Butler <leo.butler@umanitoba.ca> writes:
>
>> I updated/upgraded my debian system this morning, which pulled in emacs
>> 27.1.
>>
>> A number of my home-rolled emacs extensions relied on cl; I have
>> migrated them to cl-lib, but there is an extension that is still causing
>> emacs to emit the above-mentioned warning on start-up (and when run with
>> --daemon, emacs halts and must be killed, which I guess is a bug).
>>
>> Question: how do I trace/find the offending bit of code? Ideally, I
>> would like to be able to force an error and use the debugger, but I
>> can't figure out how to do that.
>>
>> TIA,
>> Leo
>
> You can find which files depends on cl using something like this IIRC
>
>     (require 'loadhist)
>     (file-dependents (feature-file 'cl))
>
> Anyway, using cl shouldn’t cause emacs to hang, so that must be a
> separate bug.

Thank you for the suggestion.

I found that suggestion on stackexchange and I tried it, but it is
uninformative. In my current emacs, I find that slime is a problem:

==> ("/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/slime-2.24/contrib/slime-repl.el"
"/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/slime-2.24/contrib/bridge.el"
"/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/slime-2.24/contrib/slime-presentations.el")

The problem is that the home-rolled extension that causes emacs to emit
the deprecation message is unrelated to slime.

I know the file which is the proximate cause of the problem, I simply
cannot find the ultimate source (i.e. the offending line of code).

Am I missing something obvious?

@ 2020-12-04 23:21   ` Leo Butler
From: Leo Butler @ 2020-12-04 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Leo Butler <leo.butler@umanitoba.ca>
>> Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2020 12:13:09 -0600
>>
>> I updated/upgraded my debian system this morning, which pulled in emacs
>> 27.1.
>>
>> A number of my home-rolled emacs extensions relied on cl; I have
>> migrated them to cl-lib, but there is an extension that is still causing
>> emacs to emit the above-mentioned warning on start-up (and when run with
>> --daemon, emacs halts and must be killed, which I guess is a bug).
>>
>> Question: how do I trace/find the offending bit of code? Ideally, I
>> would like to be able to force an error and use the debugger, but I
>> can't figure out how to do that.
>
> Did you try setting debug-on-message to a regexp that matches the
> warning?

Thank you, to each who answered, especially for prompting/reminding me
to RTFM. By invoking the debugger just before loading the offending
file, I was able to step through and find the offending lines of code
(an `eval-when' form and a `require 'slime' buried at the bottom of the
file).

Leo