all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Frustration with gud (gdb)
@ 2014-02-14 20:15 Neal Becker
From: Neal Becker @ 2014-02-14 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I've been using emacs and occasionally needing to use gdb for probably 20 years.
But I can't seem to get it to work now.

I have my source window, and Input/Output window showing.  I can't get to gdb
buffer, if I try to switch to it, I get:

Can't switch buffers in a dedicated window

* Re: Frustration with gud (gdb)
@ 2014-02-14 22:57 Christian Henz
From: Christian Henz @ 2014-02-14 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I have my source window, and Input/Output window showing. I can't get to gdb
> buffer, if I try to switch to it, I get:
>
> Can't switch buffers in a dedicated window

I have recently switched to Emacs 24, and this bothered me as well. But it seems that when you start GDB with "gud-gdb" instead of "gdb", you get the familiar combined buffer *without* any dedicated windows.

Also, you can programatically "un-dedicate" a window. Unfortunately there is no interactive function provided for this, but it is easy to write yourself or find online (first search result: https://github.com/statico/dotfiles/blob/master/.emacs.d/elisp/toggle-current-window-dedication.el).

Cheers,
Christian