all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* set-frame-parameter
@ 2020-12-09 22:24 steve-humphreys
From: steve-humphreys @ 2020-12-09 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help Gnu Emacs

Have started using fullscreen

   (set-frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'fullscreen 'fullboth)

Then to maximised position

   (set-frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'width 75)
   (set-frame-parameter nil 'fullscreen 'fullheight)

But then doing the following small frame gets me an error

   (set-frame-size nil 'width  58)
   (set-frame-size nil 'height 13)

* Re: set-frame-parameter
@ 2020-12-09 22:58 ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2020-12-09 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: steve-humphreys; +Cc: Help Gnu Emacs

On Wed, 9 Dec 2020 23:24:39 +0100 steve-humphreys@gmx.com wrote:

> Have started using fullscreen
>
>    (set-frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'fullscreen 'fullboth)
>
> Then to maximised position
>
>    (set-frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'width 75)
>    (set-frame-parameter nil 'fullscreen 'fullheight)
>
> But then doing the following small frame gets me an error
>
>    (set-frame-size nil 'width  58)
>    (set-frame-size nil 'height 13)

The WIDTH and HEIGHT arguments of set-frame-size should be numbers, like
this:

(set-frame-size nil 58 13)

Steve Berman

* Re: set-frame-parameter
@ 2020-12-09 23:04   ` steve-humphreys
> >    (set-frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'fullscreen 'fullboth)
> >
> > Then to maximised position
> >
> >    (set-frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'width 75)
> >    (set-frame-parameter nil 'fullscreen 'fullheight)
> >
> > But then doing the following small frame gets me an error
> >
> >    (set-frame-size nil 'width  58)
> >    (set-frame-size nil 'height 13)
>
> The WIDTH and HEIGHT arguments of set-frame-size should be numbers, like
> this:
>
> (set-frame-size nil 58 13)

I have tried it that way, but the frame stays at fullheight, rather than being set to 13.

> Steve Berman

* Re: set-frame-parameter
@ 2020-12-09 23:13     ` Stephen Berman
>> >    (set-frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'fullscreen 'fullboth)
>> >
>> > Then to maximised position
>> >
>> >    (set-frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'width 75)
>> >    (set-frame-parameter nil 'fullscreen 'fullheight)
>> >
>> > But then doing the following small frame gets me an error
>> >
>> >    (set-frame-size nil 'width  58)
>> >    (set-frame-size nil 'height 13)
>>
>> The WIDTH and HEIGHT arguments of set-frame-size should be numbers, like
>> this:
>>
>> (set-frame-size nil 58 13)
>
> I have tried it that way, but the frame stays at fullheight, rather than being
> set to 13.

It works for me with emacs-26, emacs-27 and emacs-28 (master).  Did you
try it after starting Emacs with -Q to suppress any customizations from
your init file?

Steve Berman

* Re: set-frame-parameter
@ 2020-12-09 23:19       ` steve-humphreys
From: steve-humphreys @ 2020-12-09 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Berman; +Cc: Help Gnu Emacs

Have used "emacs -Q" as instructed.

Then executed the following three commands, one after the other.

The last command beeps the frame to fullheight.

(set-frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'fullscreen 'fullboth)
(set-frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'fullscreen 'fullheight)
(set-frame-size nil 58 13)

> Sent: Thursday, December 10, 2020 at 12:13 AM
> From: "Stephen Berman" <stephen.berman@gmx.net>
> To: steve-humphreys@gmx.com

* Re: set-frame-parameter
@ 2020-12-09 23:26         ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2020-12-09 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: steve-humphreys; +Cc: Help Gnu Emacs, Stephen Berman

On Thu, 10 Dec 2020 00:19:40 +0100 steve-humphreys@gmx.com wrote:

> Have used "emacs -Q" as instructed.
>
> Then executed the following three commands, one after the other.
>
> The last command beeps the frame to fullheight.
>
> (set-frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'fullscreen 'fullboth)
> (set-frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'fullscreen 'fullheight)
> (set-frame-size nil 58 13)

I can only reiterate that it works for me.  Perhaps your window manager
is interfering somehow.  The doc string of set-frame-size says:

  (set-frame-size FRAME WIDTH HEIGHT &optional PIXELWISE)

  Set text size of FRAME to WIDTH by HEIGHT, measured in characters.
  Optional argument PIXELWISE non-nil means to measure in pixels.  Note:
  When ‘frame-resize-pixelwise’ is nil, some window managers may refuse to
  honor a WIDTH that is not an integer multiple of the default frame font
  width or a HEIGHT that is not an integer multiple of the default frame
  font height.

FWIW I'm using xfwm4.

Steve Berman

* Re: set-frame-parameter
@ 2020-12-09 23:29           ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2020-12-09 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: steve-humphreys; +Cc: Help Gnu Emacs

On Thu, 10 Dec 2020 00:26:24 +0100 Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Dec 2020 00:19:40 +0100 steve-humphreys@gmx.com wrote:
>
>> Have used "emacs -Q" as instructed.
>>
>> Then executed the following three commands, one after the other.
>>
>> The last command beeps the frame to fullheight.
>>
>> (set-frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'fullscreen 'fullboth)
>> (set-frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'fullscreen 'fullheight)
>> (set-frame-size nil 58 13)
>
> I can only reiterate that it works for me.  Perhaps your window manager
> is interfering somehow.  The doc string of set-frame-size says:
>
>   (set-frame-size FRAME WIDTH HEIGHT &optional PIXELWISE)
>
>   Set text size of FRAME to WIDTH by HEIGHT, measured in characters.
>   Optional argument PIXELWISE non-nil means to measure in pixels.  Note:
>   When ‘frame-resize-pixelwise’ is nil, some window managers may refuse to
>   honor a WIDTH that is not an integer multiple of the default frame font
>   width or a HEIGHT that is not an integer multiple of the default frame
>   font height.
>
> FWIW I'm using xfwm4.

I meant to add: What happens when you try (set-frame-size nil 58 13 t)?

Steve Berman

* Re: set-frame-parameter
@ 2020-12-09 23:39             ` steve-humphreys
> >> Then executed the following three commands, one after the other.
> >>
> >> The last command beeps the frame to fullheight.
> >>
> >> (set-frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'fullscreen 'fullboth)
> >> (set-frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'fullscreen 'fullheight)
> >> (set-frame-size nil 58 13)
> >
> > I can only reiterate that it works for me.  Perhaps your window manager
> > is interfering somehow.  The doc string of set-frame-size says:
> >
> >   (set-frame-size FRAME WIDTH HEIGHT &optional PIXELWISE)
> >
> >   Set text size of FRAME to WIDTH by HEIGHT, measured in characters.
> >   Optional argument PIXELWISE non-nil means to measure in pixels.  Note:
> >   When ‘frame-resize-pixelwise’ is nil, some window managers may refuse to
> >   honor a WIDTH that is not an integer multiple of the default frame font
> >   width or a HEIGHT that is not an integer multiple of the default frame
> >   font height.
> >
> > FWIW I'm using xfwm4.
>
> I meant to add: What happens when you try (set-frame-size nil 58 13 t)?

 Doing (set-frame-size nil 58 13) works only if emacs has not been maximised.
> Steve Berman

* Re: set-frame-parameter
@ 2020-12-09 23:43             ` steve-humphreys
From: steve-humphreys @ 2020-12-09 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Berman; +Cc: Help Gnu Emacs

In the beginning of my init file I am using

(setq initial-frame-alist '((width . 75) (height . 32)))

> Sent: Thursday, December 10, 2020 at 12:29 AM
> From: "Stephen Berman" <stephen.berman@gmx.net>
> To: steve-humphreys@gmx.com
> Cc: "Help Gnu Emacs" <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
> Subject: Re: set-frame-parameter
>
> On Thu, 10 Dec 2020 00:26:24 +0100 Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@gmx.net> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 10 Dec 2020 00:19:40 +0100 steve-humphreys@gmx.com wrote:
> >
> >> Have used "emacs -Q" as instructed.
> >>
> >> Then executed the following three commands, one after the other.
> >>
> >> The last command beeps the frame to fullheight.
> >>
> >> (set-frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'fullscreen 'fullboth)
> >> (set-frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'fullscreen 'fullheight)
> >> (set-frame-size nil 58 13)
> >
> > I can only reiterate that it works for me.  Perhaps your window manager
> > is interfering somehow.  The doc string of set-frame-size says:
> >
> >   (set-frame-size FRAME WIDTH HEIGHT &optional PIXELWISE)
> >
> >   Set text size of FRAME to WIDTH by HEIGHT, measured in characters.
> >   Optional argument PIXELWISE non-nil means to measure in pixels.  Note:
> >   When ‘frame-resize-pixelwise’ is nil, some window managers may refuse to
> >   honor a WIDTH that is not an integer multiple of the default frame font
> >   width or a HEIGHT that is not an integer multiple of the default frame
> >   font height.
> >
> > FWIW I'm using xfwm4.
>
> I meant to add: What happens when you try (set-frame-size nil 58 13 t)?
>
> Steve Berman

* Re: set-frame-parameter
@ 2020-12-09 23:46               ` Stephen Berman

>> > I can only reiterate that it works for me.  Perhaps your window manager
>> > is interfering somehow.  The doc string of set-frame-size says:
>> >
>> >   (set-frame-size FRAME WIDTH HEIGHT &optional PIXELWISE)
>> >
>> >   Set text size of FRAME to WIDTH by HEIGHT, measured in characters.
>> >   Optional argument PIXELWISE non-nil means to measure in pixels.  Note:
>> >   When ‘frame-resize-pixelwise’ is nil, some window managers may refuse to
>> >   honor a WIDTH that is not an integer multiple of the default frame font
>> >   width or a HEIGHT that is not an integer multiple of the default frame
>> >   font height.
>> >
>> > FWIW I'm using xfwm4.
>>
>> I meant to add: What happens when you try (set-frame-size nil 58 13 t)?
>

>  Doing (set-frame-size nil 58 13) works only if emacs has not been maximised.

And (set-frame-size nil 58 13 t)?  (Note the `t' at the end.)  If that
works, then I assume your window manager is preventing the non-pixelwise
resizing.  If pixelwise resizing also doesn't work, then I'm out of
ideas.  Maybe someone else will have a suggestion.

Steve Berman

* Re: set-frame-parameter
@ 2020-12-09 23:47               ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2020-12-09 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: steve-humphreys; +Cc: Help Gnu Emacs

On Thu, 10 Dec 2020 00:43:44 +0100 steve-humphreys@gmx.com wrote:

> In the beginning of my init file I am using
>
> (setq initial-frame-alist '((width . 75) (height . 32)))

But you said you also got the same issue when starting Emacs with -Q, so
your init file shouldn't matter.

Steve Berman

* Re: set-frame-parameter
@ 2020-12-09 23:49                 ` steve-humphreys

> >> I meant to add: What happens when you try (set-frame-size nil 58 13 t)?
> >

> >  Doing (set-frame-size nil 58 13) works only if emacs has not been maximised.
>
> And (set-frame-size nil 58 13 t)?  (Note the `t' at the end.)  If that
> works, then I assume your window manager is preventing the non-pixelwise
> resizing.  If pixelwise resizing also doesn't work, then I'm out of
> ideas.  Maybe someone else will have a suggestion.

Same thing happens when using (set-frame-size nil 58 13 t).  Only works if emacs is not
maximised.  Thanks for bearing with me.

> Steve Berman

* Re: set-frame-parameter
@ 2020-12-09 23:50                 ` steve-humphreys
> > In the beginning of my init file I am using
> >
> > (setq initial-frame-alist '((width . 75) (height . 32)))
>
> But you said you also got the same issue when starting Emacs with -Q, so
> your init file shouldn't matter.

Correct, it does not matter.  But I told you anyway.

> Steve Berman

* Re: set-frame-parameter
@ 2020-12-10  0:19     ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2020-12-10  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

steve-humphreys@gmx.com writes:

> I have tried it that way, but the frame stays at fullheight, rather
> than being set to 13.

FWIW, I'm seeing the same as you.  I can turn off the frame's fullscreen
mode explicitly and then "it works":

(set-frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'fullscreen nil)

HTH,

Michael.

* Re: set-frame-parameter
@ 2020-12-10  0:38       ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2020-12-10  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> (set-frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'fullscreen nil)

Yes, when I'm reading the C source correctly (`adjust_frame_size')
there are different reasons why resizing can be inhibited.

One reason is when `frame_inhibit_resize', which checks for the
fullscreen variants, says so.

So what we see seems to be expected.

Michael.

* Re: set-frame-parameter
@ 2020-12-10  2:13         ` steve-humphreys
> > (set-frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'fullscreen nil)
>
> Yes, when I'm reading the C source correctly (`adjust_frame_size')
> there are different reasons why resizing can be inhibited.
>
> One reason is when `frame_inhibit_resize', which checks for the
> fullscreen variants, says so.
>
> So what we see seems to be expected.

Thank you.  I think there are some commands to get the width
and height of the screen.  I would like to set the frame
explicitly after going full screen.

> Michael.

* Re: set-frame-parameter
@ 2020-12-10  2:33           ` steve-humphreys
From: steve-humphreys @ 2020-12-10  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: steve-humphreys; +Cc: Michael Heerdegen, help-gnu-emacs

I wonder which way I should do things for fullscreen and re-sizing.

Is it good to use set-frame-parameter for fullscreen, and for re-sizing
using set-frame-size?

Have done as follows to make same size frame using set-frame-size.

(let ((w (frame-width)) (h (frame-height)))
    (set-frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'fullscreen nil)
    (set-frame-size nil w h))

> Sent: Thursday, December 10, 2020 at 3:13 AM
> From: steve-humphreys@gmx.com

* Re: set-frame-parameter
@ 2020-12-10  3:01             ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2020-12-10  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

steve-humphreys@gmx.com writes:

> I wonder which way I should do things for fullscreen and re-sizing.
>
> Is it good to use set-frame-parameter for fullscreen, and for re-sizing
> using set-frame-size?
>

> Have done as follows to make same size frame using set-frame-size.
>
> (let ((w (frame-width)) (h (frame-height)))
>     (set-frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'fullscreen nil)
>     (set-frame-size nil w h))

I don't understand that code.  You resize the frame to its...current
size?

Regards,

Michael.

* Re: set-frame-parameter
@ 2020-12-10  3:08               ` steve-humphreys
> > I wonder which way I should do things for fullscreen and re-sizing.
> >
> > Is it good to use set-frame-parameter for fullscreen, and for re-sizing
> > using set-frame-size?
> >

> > Have done as follows to make same size frame using set-frame-size.
> >
> > (let ((w (frame-width)) (h (frame-height)))
> >     (set-frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'fullscreen nil)
> >     (set-frame-size nil w h))
>
> I don't understand that code.  You resize the frame to its...current
> size?

Yes because the first time I go fullscreen, I remove the menu and edit bars.

> Regards,
>
> Michael.

* Re: set-frame-parameter
@ 2020-12-10  3:17               ` steve-humphreys
> > I wonder which way I should do things for fullscreen and re-sizing.
> >
> > Is it good to use set-frame-parameter for fullscreen, and for re-sizing
> > using set-frame-size?
> >

> > Have done as follows to make same size frame using set-frame-size.
> >
> > (let ((w (frame-width)) (h (frame-height)))
> >     (set-frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'fullscreen nil)
> >     (set-frame-size nil w h))
>
> I don't understand that code.  You resize the frame to its...current
> size?

Would like some advice of when I should use (selected-frame).  Is it correct
to do as I have done?  Then for set-frame-size I use nil.

> Regards,
>
> Michael.

* Re: set-frame-parameter
@ 2020-12-10  3:42                 ` steve-humphreys
From: steve-humphreys @ 2020-12-10  3:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: steve-humphreys; +Cc: Michael Heerdegen, help-gnu-emacs

I have solved one problem, of not removing the maximise-minimise frame by using

(set-frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'fullscreen 'maximised)

> Sent: Thursday, December 10, 2020 at 4:17 AM
> From: steve-humphreys@gmx.com

* Re: set-frame-parameter
@ 2020-12-10  3:55                 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2020-12-10  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

steve-humphreys@gmx.com writes:

> > > (let ((w (frame-width)) (h (frame-height)))
> > >     (set-frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'fullscreen nil)
> > >     (set-frame-size nil w h))
> >
> > I don't understand that code.  You resize the frame to its...current
> > size?
>
> Yes because the first time I go fullscreen, I remove the menu and edit
> bars.

Now I want to know what you are trying to achieve.

Michael.

* Re: set-frame-parameter
@ 2020-12-10  3:59                 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2020-12-10  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

steve-humphreys@gmx.com writes:

> Would like some advice of when I should use (selected-frame).  Is it
> correct to do as I have done?  Then for set-frame-size I use nil.

It's not documented, though it should work when I look at the code.
Dunno if it works by accident or if it should be documented.  Officially
it's your risk to rely on a behavior that's not documented.

Michael.

* Re: set-frame-parameter
@ 2020-12-10  4:09                   ` steve-humphreys

> > > I don't understand that code.  You resize the frame to its...current
> > > size?
> >
> > Yes because the first time I go fullscreen, I remove the menu and edit
> > bars.
>
> Now I want to know what you are trying to achieve.

When things are maximised, one usually cannot resize and move
the frame around.  So I make three possibilities:

1. Fullscreen - Without menu and edit bars (removes window bar)
2. Fullscreen - With menu and edit bars, maximised but puts window bar back
3. Small window that I can move around.

> Michael.

* Re: set-frame-parameter
@ 2020-12-10  4:11                   ` steve-humphreys
> > Would like some advice of when I should use (selected-frame).  Is it
> > correct to do as I have done?  Then for set-frame-size I use nil.
>
> It's not documented, though it should work when I look at the code.
> Dunno if it works by accident or if it should be documented.  Officially
> it's your risk to rely on a behavior that's not documented.

We could ask.  This frame thing messed me up a little bit.

> Michael.

* RE: set-frame-parameter
@ 2020-12-10 16:13                     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2020-12-10 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: steve-humphreys, Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Do we know whether it was explicitly by design
that you can't change the frame size when it's
fullscreen without first turning off fullscreen?

That seems odd to me, but perhaps it is by design
and there's a good reason for it.  If not, maybe
it should be fixed...

* Re: set-frame-parameter
@ 2020-12-10 17:26                       ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2020-12-10 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Do we know whether it was explicitly by design
> that you can't change the frame size when it's
> fullscreen without first turning off fullscreen?
>
> That seems odd to me, but perhaps it is by design
> and there's a good reason for it.  If not, maybe
> it should be fixed...

With the X window system, that's the behavior for any maximized window,
in all window managers I used.  Dunno if Emacs has a choice here, since
resizing and moving are X things.

How is the behavior in other `window-system's?

Michael.

* RE: set-frame-parameter
@ 2020-12-10 18:31                         ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2020-12-10 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen, help-gnu-emacs

> > Do we know whether it was explicitly by design
> > that you can't change the frame size when it's
> > fullscreen without first turning off fullscreen?
> >
> > That seems odd to me, but perhaps it is by design
> > and there's a good reason for it.  If not, maybe
> > it should be fixed...
>
> With the X window system, that's the behavior for any maximized window,
> in all window managers I used.  Dunno if Emacs has a choice here, since
> resizing and moving are X things.

I meant should Emacs automatically turn off fullscreen if you issue a frame-size change?  Wouldn't that be appropriate?  If not, maybe the doc for each such size-changing function should say explicitly that it has no effect if fullscreen is on.  (Maybe it already says that; I haven't checked.)

> How is the behavior in other `window-system's?

Dunno.

* Re: set-frame-parameter
@ 2020-12-10 18:45                       ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2020-12-10 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: Michael Heerdegen, help-gnu-emacs, steve-humphreys

> Do we know whether it was explicitly by design
> that you can't change the frame size when it's
> fullscreen without first turning off fullscreen?
>
> That seems odd to me, but perhaps it is by design
> and there's a good reason for it.  If not, maybe
> it should be fixed...

Perhaps you want (toggle-frame-maximized) instead of
(toggle-frame-fullscreen)

As Michael pointed out, fullscreen things are ‘window-system’
things. Whereas a maximised window can be resized.

* RE: set-frame-parameter
@ 2020-12-10 18:51                         ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2020-12-10 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pankaj Jangid; +Cc: Michael Heerdegen, help-gnu-emacs, steve-humphreys

> Perhaps you want (toggle-frame-maximized) instead of
> (toggle-frame-fullscreen)
>
> As Michael pointed out, fullscreen things are ‘window-system’
> things. Whereas a maximised window can be resized.

Whichever is preventing frame-size changes.
That's the point.  If a user can work around
this inconvenience with an extra sexp then
Emacs itself could presumably make that
workaround unnecessary by doing it automatically.

* Re: RE: set-frame-parameter
@ 2020-12-10 19:03                           ` steve-humphreys
> > Perhaps you want (toggle-frame-maximized) instead of
> > (toggle-frame-fullscreen)
> >
> > As Michael pointed out, fullscreen things are ‘window-system’
> > things. Whereas a maximised window can be resized.
>
> Whichever is preventing frame-size changes.
> That's the point.  If a user can work around
> this inconvenience with an extra sexp then
> Emacs itself could presumably make that
> workaround unnecessary by doing it automatically.

It was a big stumbling block for me.  In addition,  the proper procedure for resizing was confusing
(set-frame-parameter, set-frame-size).  Can one use either, both and mhich should be called first.

* Re: set-frame-parameter
@ 2020-12-10 20:44       ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2020-12-10 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, 10 Dec 2020 08:13:29 -0800 (PST) Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:

> Do we know whether it was explicitly by design
> that you can't change the frame size when it's
> fullscreen without first turning off fullscreen?
>
> That seems odd to me, but perhaps it is by design
> and there's a good reason for it.  If not, maybe
> it should be fixed...

It seems that my observations are at odds with those of the rest of you.
Nevertheless, when I start Emacs (26-28) with -Q and type C-j after each
of the following sexps in *scratch*, I get the frame width and height
values displayed and see the frame size change accordingly:

(frame-width)
80
(frame-height)
36
(set-frame-parameter nil 'fullscreen 'fullheight)
(frame-width)
80
(frame-height)
77
(set-frame-size nil 58 13)
(frame-width)
58
(frame-height)
13

I wonder why I get these results but others don't.

Steve Berman