all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#27292: Package (haskell-emacs) not auto-loading
@ 2017-06-08 23:40 Jeff Brown
From: Jeff Brown @ 2017-06-08 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 27292

I installed haskell-emacs, by running "package-list-packages" and selecting
it. That compiled and ("ran"?) it. When I started a new Emacs session,
however, the haskell-emacs package was no longer ("running"?).

My .emacs file includes some auto-generated code that seems intended to load
haskell-emacs on startup:

```
(custom-set-variables
 ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
 '(package-archives
   (quote
    (("gnu" . "http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/")
     ("melpa-stable" . "http://stable.melpa.org/packages/"))))
 '(package-selected-packages (quote (haskell-emacs haskell-mode))))
(package-initialize)
```

One of the examples suggested in the haskell-emacs README is to run
`(Matrix.identity 1)`. In the (still-open) Emacs session from which I
installed haskell-emacs, I can go to *scratch* and evaluate that, and it
prints `((1))` to the *Messages* buffer.

However, in any new Emacs session, if I go to the *scratch* buffer and
evaluate the same expression, I get an `eval: Symbol’s function definition
is void: Matrix\.identity` error.

* bug#27292: Package (haskell-emacs) not auto-loading
@ 2017-06-09  0:23 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2017-06-09  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Jeff Brown; +Cc: 27292

Jeff Brown wrote:

> I installed haskell-emacs, by running "package-list-packages" and selecting
> it. That compiled and ("ran"?) it. When I started a new Emacs session,
> however, the haskell-emacs package was no longer ("running"?).
>
> My .emacs file includes some auto-generated code that seems intended to load
> haskell-emacs on startup:
>
> ```
> (custom-set-variables
>  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
>  ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
>  ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
>  ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
>  '(package-archives
>    (quote
>     (("gnu" . "http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/")
>      ("melpa-stable" . "http://stable.melpa.org/packages/"))))
>  '(package-selected-packages (quote (haskell-emacs haskell-mode))))
> (package-initialize)
> ```
>
> One of the examples suggested in the haskell-emacs README is to run
> `(Matrix.identity 1)`. In the (still-open) Emacs session from which I
> installed haskell-emacs, I can go to *scratch* and evaluate that, and it
> prints `((1))` to the *Messages* buffer.
>
> However, in any new Emacs session, if I go to the *scratch* buffer and
> evaluate the same expression, I get an `eval: Symbol's function definition
> is void: Matrix\.identity` error.

You don't mention running "haskell-emacs-init", which is documented in
the package description and in

https://github.com/knupfer/haskell-emacs

I'd guess you did that in your first Emacs and forgot you did it.

* bug#27292: Package (haskell-emacs) not auto-loading
@ 2017-06-09  2:00   ` Jeffrey Brown
From: Jeffrey Brown @ 2017-06-09  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: 27292