all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: raw-byte and char-table
@ 2010-08-26  2:58 MON KEY
From: MON KEY @ 2010-08-26  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: handa; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

> Number like #x3FFFA0 is so criptic.  The function name
> unibyte-char-to-multibyte is also not ideal, but I think
> it's better than #x3FFFA0.

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but I think the `#x' and `#o' syntax is
not cryptic at all in the context. These at least preserve identity:

 4194208, #o17777640, #x3fffa0

This signals an error:
 (unibyte-char-to-multibyte
  (unibyte-char-to-multibyte 160))

Also, there is the brevity factor:

(aref (syntax-table) #o17777640)

(aref (syntax-table) #x3fffa0)

(aref (syntax-table) 4194208)

(aref (syntax-table)
      (unibyte-char-to-multibyte 160))

> We could provide a ?\NNN (or similar) notation for it.  Similarly to
> what we do for those bytes in multibyte strings.

Howsabout just this one for all of them:

 `#\'

:)

--
/s_P\

* raw-byte and char-table
@ 2010-08-24  1:11 Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2010-08-24  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

A char-table is a table indexed by a character code.  So,
it's 0xA0th element is a value for a character U+00A0.
Then, how to set/get a value for raw-byte 0xA0?  Currently,
this is the way to do that:

  (aref CHAR-TABLE (unibyte-char-to-multibyte #xA0))
  (aset CHAR-TABLE (unibyte-char-to-multibyte #xA0) VALUE)

But, this is not documented.  Should we document it?

A display-table is a char-table.  But, the current code uses
0xA0th element of a display-table for both U+00A0 and
raw-byte 0xA0.  For instance, in get_next_display_element of
xdisp.c:

5744	  if (it->dp
5745	      && (dv = DISP_CHAR_VECTOR (it->dp, it->c),
5746		  VECTORP (dv)))

Here, it->c may be 0xA0 comming from a unibyte buffer/string.

Should we change the above code and all other codes setting
0x80th..0xA0th elements of a display table?

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org