all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Help!  I want to print an ENTIRE lisp expression.
@ 2002-11-09 10:19 Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2002-11-09 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Emacs 21.1

I have a list structure which I created by a macro-like thing in *scratch*.

However I try to look at it, Emacs says "Hoy, this is a secret!  I'm not
telling you what's in _your_ variable  ;-("

More precisely, what gets printed looks like this:

(let ((c-buffer-is-cc-mode ...) (init ...)) (while init (set ... ...)
(setq init ...))))

The substitution of essential information by these ellipses make the
print useless in this case.

I have checked that print-length and print-level are both nil (as
described in the elisp info page "Output Variables").  I have tried
setting them both to a large integer value instead.  All to no avail.

What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter

* Re: Help!  I want to print an ENTIRE lisp expression.
@ 2002-11-09 10:33 ` Alex Schroeder
From: Alex Schroeder @ 2002-11-09 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Mackenzie<none@example.invalid> writes:

> (let ((c-buffer-is-cc-mode ...) (init ...)) (while init (set ... ...)
> (setq init ...))))
>
> The substitution of essential information by these ellipses make the
> print useless in this case.

Are you using print or C-u C-x C-e?  If C-u C-x C-e, and you only use
this seldomly, use the middle mouse button to expand it.

Other than that, try the variables print-lenth,
eval-expression-print-length, print-level, and
eval-expression-print-level.

Alex.

* Re: Help!  I want to print an ENTIRE lisp expression.
@ 2002-11-09 12:20   ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2002-11-09 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alex Schroeder <alex@emacswiki.org> wrote on Sat, 09 Nov 2002 11:33:08 +0100:
> Alan Mackenzie<none@example.invalid> writes:

>> (let ((c-buffer-is-cc-mode ...) (init ...)) (while init (set ... ...)
>> (setq init ...))))

>> The substitution of essential information by these ellipses make the
>> print useless in this case.

> Are you using print or C-u C-x C-e?  If C-u C-x C-e, and you only use
> this seldomly, use the middle mouse button to expand it.

> Other than that, try the variables print-lenth,
> eval-expression-print-length, print-level, and
> eval-expression-print-level.

AH!!!  eval-expression-print-level was set to 4.  I've now set it to nil,
and EVERYTHING WORKS PROPERLY!!!!

Thank you!