all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs just won't let go of the past - old settings
@ 2003-02-25 19:49 chris.danx
From: chris.danx @ 2003-02-25 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Can anyone help with this?  I have been trying to track down a problem
with font-lock-mode not highlighting new buffers, but have ran into
another problem.  To isolate the error, .emacs was renamed to something
else and emacs was started.  However emacs has remembered some settings
that where set via a menu added from code .emacs.

Does anyone know how to get rid of this so that emacs will be as it was
upon installation?

Cheers,
Chris

* Re: emacs just won't let go of the past - old settings
@ 2003-02-26  9:14 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-02-26  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

"chris.danx" <spamoff.danx@ntlworld.com> writes:

> Can anyone help with this?  I have been trying to track down a problem
> with font-lock-mode not highlighting new buffers, but have ran into
> another problem.  To isolate the error, .emacs was renamed to
> something else and emacs was started.  However emacs has remembered
> some settings that where set via a menu added from code .emacs.

Strange.  Maybe your site admin has changed things so that
custom-file is changed and the new file is loaded?  Type C-h v
custom-file RET to find out.

* Re: emacs just won't let go of the past - old settings
@ 2003-02-26 18:25   ` chris.danx
From: chris.danx @ 2003-02-26 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Großjohann wrote:
> "chris.danx" <spamoff.danx@ntlworld.com> writes:

> Strange.  Maybe your site admin has changed things so that
> custom-file is changed and the new file is loaded?  Type C-h v
> custom-file RET to find out.

It gives nil (I hadn't changed it from the default).  To clarify I
loaded the .el file via .emacs and after a M-x color-theme it appended a
menu to "options".  It has left all the colours as specified last time
by doing M-x color-theme, yet .emacs contains no reference to it any
longer.  Perhaps it had to be unloaded in a special way?

I removed .emacs.d, .emacs & .emacs-places and tried this & the elisp
for this has also been taken off the load path :?  Also tried "emacs -q"
& "emacs -no-site-file", but it still highlights as per color-theme
settings.

Chris