all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* backspace (don't kill me)
@ 2003-08-12 15:05 John Hunter
From: John Hunter @ 2003-08-12 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am experiencing some backspace weirdness.  I know this the FAQ to
end all FAQs, and I've read the FAQ and some other web resources but
I'm still stumped.

I have put (global-set-key [backspace] 'delete-backward-char)
in my .emacs, yet when I hit the backspace key, I get delete (deletes
char at point).  When I do M-x delete-backward-char, it performs as
desired (deletes previous char) and advises me that I could use
<backspace> as a shortcut.

Backspace is apparently backspace as far as my term is concerned,
because at the shell, backspace does in fact delete the previous
char.

I get the same behavior (delete char at point) when I run emacs with
-q -nw --no-site-file

I am running emacs over ssh in an xterm.  The local machine is RHL 8.0
and the remote machine is free bsd (see below for full version info).
When I run emacs under X with X11 forwarding, backspace works as
desired.

To make matters worse, the C-h b, C-h k bindings don't work (they just
insert 'b' and 'k' into the buffer so I can't easily debug the key
bindings.  However, CTRL, as in C-x b, does work to switch buffers, so
it's not a CTRL problem.

Arggg, I thought I was beyond this!

Any ideas?

Thanks,
John Hunter

GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (i386--freebsd, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2003-05-24 on\ gohan12.freebsd.org

* Re: backspace (don't kill me)
@ 2003-08-12 15:27 ` Yongtao Yang
From: Yongtao Yang @ 2003-08-12 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Hunter <jdhunter@nitace.bsd.uchicago.edu> writes:

> I am experiencing some backspace weirdness.  I know this the FAQ to
> end all FAQs, and I've read the FAQ and some other web resources but
> I'm still stumped.

> Arggg, I thought I was beyond this!
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> John Hunter
>
> GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (i386--freebsd, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars) of
> 2003-05-24 on\ gohan12.freebsd.org

Try
M-x normal-erase-is-backspace-mode

HTH.

--
Yongtao Yang

email: yangyongtao@yahoo.com

* Re: backspace (don't kill me)
@ 2003-08-12 16:54   ` John Hunter
From: John Hunter @ 2003-08-12 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Yongtao> Try M-x normal-erase-is-backspace-mode

Fixed my backspace and help keys in one swoop.

Thanks,
John Hunter