all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* creating an emacs mode!
@ 2003-06-23 13:44 Michael Frandsen
From: Michael Frandsen @ 2003-06-23 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

When I get my application to use emacs, I would like to create a language
mode for emacs.
Are there any good tutorials/guides on how to do this please?

Thanks,
Michael

* Re: creating an emacs mode!
@ 2003-06-23 14:28 ` marcuirl
From: marcuirl @ 2003-06-23 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Michael Frandsen" <mf@cyncrona.dk> writes:

> When I get my application to use emacs, I would like to create a language
> mode for emacs.
> Are there any good tutorials/guides on how to do this please?

I asked the very same question a few weeks back follow this google search:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&threadm=uissgl086.fsf%40ID-87814.user.dfncis.de&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fnum%3D30%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DISO-8859-1%26safe%3Doff%26q%3Dmarcuirl%2Bemacs%2Bmode%2Blisp%26sa%3DN%26tab%3Dwg

Remember: google is your friend, especially the groups search
function. The answers are out there!

marcu
--
Unless otherwise noted, the statements herein reflect my
personal opinions and not those of any organisation with

* Re: creating an emacs mode!
@ 2003-06-23 14:33 ` John McCabe
From: John McCabe @ 2003-06-23 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 15:44:05 +0200, "Michael Frandsen"
<mf@cyncrona.dk> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>When I get my application to use emacs, I would like to create a language
>mode for emacs.
>Are there any good tutorials/guides on how to do this please?

The book "Writing GNU Emacs Extensions" by Bob Glickstein (ISBN:
1565922611) , although a little dated, looks at this sort of thing.

Best Regards
John McCabe

To reply by email replace 'nospam' with 'assen'

* Re: creating an emacs mode!
@ 2003-06-23 17:14 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-06-23 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Michael Frandsen" <mf@cyncrona.dk> writes:

> When I get my application to use emacs, I would like to create a language
> mode for emacs.
> Are there any good tutorials/guides on how to do this please?

The Emacs Lisp reference manual surely has pointers.  It is available
from ftp.gnu.org and its mirrors.

I guess it is best to use define-derived-mode; when in doubt, derive
from fundamental-mode.  It helps you avoid many mistakes.

But also see generic.el and generic-x.el, they are part of Emacs.
--
This line is not blank.