all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* how to remove a menu item?
@ 2009-02-01 22:48 Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2009-02-01 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

if i want to remove the menu under Help ‣ Emacs Psychotherapist, how
do i do it?

Thanks.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 9+ messages in thread

* Re: how to remove a menu item?
@ 2009-02-02  5:25 ` B. T. Raven
       [not found] ` <mailman.6481.1233556723.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-02-02  5:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Xah Lee wrote:
> if i want to remove the menu under Help ‣ Emacs Psychotherapist, how
> do i do it?
>
> Thanks.
>
>   Xah
> ∑ http://xahlee.org/
>
> ☄

It looks like you'll have to figure out how this file works:

menu-bar.el

This code is certainly relevant but more probably has to be done than
merely excising it:

(define-key menu-bar-help-menu [eliza]
   '(menu-item "Emacs Psychotherapist" doctor
	      :help "Our doctor will help you feel better"))
(define-key menu-bar-help-menu [sep4]
   '("--"))  ;;; I assume that this is the separator line above on the
Help menu panel

Also relevant is .../lisp/play/doctor.el

* RE: how to remove a menu item?
@ 2009-02-02  6:38 ` Drew Adams
       [not found] ` <mailman.6481.1233556723.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-02-02  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Xah Lee', help-gnu-emacs

> if i want to remove the menu under Help ? Emacs Psychotherapist, how
> do i do it?

C-h k, then click Help > Emacs Psychotherapist shows this:

,----
| <menu-bar> <help-menu> <emacs-psychotherapist> runs the command doctor
|   which is an interactive autoloaded Lisp function in `doctor'.
| It is bound to <menu-bar> <help-menu> <emacs-psychotherapist>.
| (doctor)
|
| Switch to *doctor* buffer and start giving psychotherapy.
`----

Either of these will get rid of this binding:

(define-key global-map [menu-bar help-menu emacs-psychotherapist] nil)

(define-key menu-bar-help-menu [emacs-psychotherapist] nil)

* Re: how to remove a menu item?
       [not found] ` <mailman.6481.1233556723.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-02-03  1:57   ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-02-03  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Drew Adams wrote:
>> if i want to remove the menu under Help ? Emacs Psychotherapist, how
>> do i do it?
>
> C-h k, then click Help > Emacs Psychotherapist shows this:
>
> ,----
> | <menu-bar> <help-menu> <emacs-psychotherapist> runs the command doctor
> |   which is an interactive autoloaded Lisp function in `doctor'.
> | It is bound to <menu-bar> <help-menu> <emacs-psychotherapist>.
> | (doctor)
> |
> | Switch to *doctor* buffer and start giving psychotherapy.
> `----
>
> Either of these will get rid of this binding:
>
> (define-key global-map [menu-bar help-menu emacs-psychotherapist] nil)
>
> (define-key menu-bar-help-menu [emacs-psychotherapist] nil)

Thanks, Drew. On my build it was "eliza" rather than
"emacs-psychotherapist" that was revealed by C-h k. Evaluating the
define-key expression stripped the bottom item off the help menu but
left the separator bar.

Ed

* RE: how to remove a menu item?
@ 2009-02-03  4:12     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-02-03  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'B. T. Raven', help-gnu-emacs

> >> if i want to remove the menu under Help ? Emacs
> >> Psychotherapist, how do i do it?
> >
> > C-h k, then click Help > Emacs Psychotherapist shows this:
> >
> > ,----
> > | <menu-bar> <help-menu> <emacs-psychotherapist> runs the
> > | command doctor
> > |   which is an interactive autoloaded Lisp function in `doctor'.
> > | It is bound to <menu-bar> <help-menu> <emacs-psychotherapist>.
> > | (doctor)
> > |
> > | Switch to *doctor* buffer and start giving psychotherapy.
> > `----
> >
> > Either of these will get rid of this binding:
> >
> > (define-key global-map [menu-bar help-menu
> >             emacs-psychotherapist] nil)
> >
> > (define-key menu-bar-help-menu [emacs-psychotherapist] nil)
>
> Thanks, Drew. On my build it was "eliza" rather than
> "emacs-psychotherapist" that was revealed by C-h k. Evaluating the
> define-key expression stripped the bottom item off the help menu but
> left the separator bar.

Look in lisp/menu-bar.el for the binding of `eliza'. Just after or before it
will be a separator definition. Define that pseudo-key to nil.

E.g. in Emacs 22.1, menu-bar.el:

(define-key menu-bar-help-menu [eliza]
  '(menu-item "Emacs Psychotherapist" doctor
	      :help "Our doctor will help you feel better"))
(define-key menu-bar-help-menu [sep4]
  '("--"))
(define-key menu-bar-help-menu [describe-no-warranty]
  '(menu-item "(Non)Warranty" describe-no-warranty
	      :help "Explain that Emacs has NO WARRANTY"))

That corresponds to these menu items, in order:

(Non)Warranty
-------------
Emacs Psychotherapist

This will remove the Dr and the separator:

(define-key menu-bar-help-menu [eliza] nil)
(define-key menu-bar-help-menu [sep4] nil)

* Re: how to remove a menu item?
       [not found] ` <mailman.6481.1233556723.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-02-03  5:21   ` Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2009-02-03  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 1, 10:38 pm, "Drew Adams" <drew.ad...@oracle.com> wrote:
> > if i want to remove the menu under Help ? Emacs Psychotherapist, how
> > do i do it?

> Either of these will get rid of this binding:
>
> (define-key global-map [menu-bar help-menu emacs-psychotherapist] nil)
>
> (define-key menu-bar-help-menu [emacs-psychotherapist] nil)

Thanks Drew.

Following is a removal of a bunch for those interested.

--------------------------------
;; 2009-02-02

(define-key global-map [menu-bar edit search search-forward] nil)
(define-key global-map [menu-bar edit search search-backward] nil)
(define-key global-map [menu-bar edit search re-search-forward] nil)
(define-key global-map [menu-bar edit search re-search-backward] nil)
(define-key global-map [menu-bar edit search repeat-search-fwd] nil)
(define-key global-map [menu-bar edit search repeat-search-back] nil)

(define-key global-map [menu-bar edit goto go-to-pos] nil)
(define-key global-map [menu-bar edit goto beg-of-buf] nil)
(define-key global-map [menu-bar edit goto end-of-buf] nil)

(define-key global-map [menu-bar options blink-cursor-mode] nil)
(define-key global-map [menu-bar options debug-on-error] nil)
(define-key global-map [menu-bar options debug-on-quit] nil)

(define-key global-map [menu-bar options showhide showhide-tool-bar]
nil)
(define-key global-map [menu-bar options showhide showhide-scroll-bar]
nil)
(define-key global-map [menu-bar options showhide showhide-fringe]
nil)

(define-key global-map [menu-bar options showhide mac-font-panel-mode]
nil)
(define-key global-map [menu-bar options showhide showhide-battery]
nil)
(define-key global-map [menu-bar options showhide showhide-date-time]
nil)
(define-key global-map [menu-bar options showhide size-indication-
mode] nil)

(define-key global-map (kbd "<S-down-mouse-1>") nil)

;; tools menu
(define-key global-map [menu-bar tools gnus] nil)
(define-key global-map [menu-bar tools rmail] nil)
(define-key global-map [menu-bar tools compose-mail] nil)
(define-key global-map [menu-bar tools games] nil)

;; to do:
;; • move incremental search menus one level up.

(define-key global-map [menu-bar help-menu emacs-psychotherapist] nil)
(define-key global-map [menu-bar help-menu emacs-known-problems] nil)
(define-key global-map [menu-bar help-menu emacs-tutorial] nil)
(define-key global-map [menu-bar help-menu emacs-tutorial-language-
specific] nil)
(define-key global-map [menu-bar help-menu emacs-faq] nil)
(define-key global-map [menu-bar help-menu search-documentation emacs-
terminology] nil)
(define-key global-map [menu-bar help-menu external-packages] nil)
(define-key global-map [menu-bar help-menu more-manuals order-emacs-
manuals] nil)

;; to do: remove dividers

------------------------------

i started a emacs2010 project on google code.

http://code.google.com/p/emacs2010/

only started this week. Much are still in flux. I wished to have a
emacs much like AquaMacs but for Window, Mac, Linux, not just for Mac
OS X. The modernization would be focused on emacs, as opposed to Apple
UI guidline (such as launching every buffer in a new window or
launching Apple's Help Application when pulling Help menu). The
primarly goal, is that user simply download binary, use it, find it a
joy, out of the box. There will be no cult, philosophy, manuals to
acquaint, geeking culture about ways and methods, etc. There will also
not be any “dumb down” for stupid people.

... there are much to do, and much of the change detail i have yet to
write up. If i keep at this, hopefully this goal can be achieved this
year. Anyone is very welcome to join. The code will be fully
compatible with GNU emacs, and all in GPL. So, if any FSF developers
find some idea or code interesting, it's right there to pickup.

No guarantee this is some software in coming. Nor is this some grand
announcement. If in this year the project turns out well, then great.
Join in anytime.

@ 2009-02-03 16:32     ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-02-03 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Xah Lee wrote:
> [...]
> UI guidline (such as launching every buffer in a new window or
> launching Apple's Help Application when pulling Help menu). The
> primarly goal, is that user simply download binary, use it, find it a
> joy, out of the box. There will be no cult, philosophy, manuals to
> acquaint, geeking culture about ways and methods, etc. There will also
> not be any “dumb down” for stupid people.
>
> .... there are much to do, and much of the change detail i have yet to
> write up. If i keep at this, hopefully this goal can be achieved this
> year. Anyone is very welcome to join. The code will be fully
> compatible with GNU emacs, and all in GPL. So, if any FSF developers
> find some idea or code interesting, it's right there to pickup.
>
> No guarantee this is some software in coming. Nor is this some grand
> announcement. If in this year the project turns out well, then great.

It seems like you are gutting so much of the menu that it would be
easier to set menu-bar-mode to nil. Except for reassigning modifier keys
(with KeyTweak) and putting cursor movement on the c,h,t,n keys
(necessary with the Dvorak layout) I have found it prudent to leave most
of the rest of RMS's mnemonic bindings alone. What you may end up with
after all your work is just a Xah Lee minor mode. Anyway, I do agree
that eventually some attention should be given to ergonomic issues but
the problems are so vast especially when internationalization is taken
into account that the job will have to be given to a committee rather
than an individual.

Ed

* Re: how to remove a menu item?
@ 2009-02-07 19:47       ` Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2009-02-07 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 3, 8:32 am, "B. T. Raven" <ni...@nihilo.net> wrote:
> > Following is a removal of a bunch for those interested.
>
> It seems like you are gutting so much of themenuthat it would be
> easier to setmenu-bar-mode to nil. Except for reassigning modifier keys
> (with KeyTweak) and putting cursor movement on the c,h,t,n keys
> (necessary with the Dvorak layout) I have found it prudent to leave most
> of the rest of RMS's mnemonic bindings alone. What you may end up with
> after all your work is just aXahLee minor mode. Anyway, I do agree
> that eventually some attention should be given to ergonomic issues but
> the problems are so vast especially when internationalization is taken
> into account that the job will have to be given to a committee rather
> than an individual.
>
> Ed

just wrote up some reasons about the emacs menu usability.

its based on screenshots and drawings... so here

  http://xahlee.org/emacs/modernization_menu.html
or
 http://xahlee.blogspot.com/2009/02/emacs-menu-usability-problem.html
 (image here wont show unless you have it cached)

@ 2009-02-09 17:10         ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-02-09 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Xah Lee wrote:
> On Feb 3, 8:32 am, "B. T. Raven" <ni...@nihilo.net> wrote:
>>> Following is a removal of a bunch for those interested.
>>
>> It seems like you are gutting so much of themenuthat it would be
>> easier to setmenu-bar-mode to nil. Except for reassigning modifier keys
>> (with KeyTweak) and putting cursor movement on the c,h,t,n keys
>> (necessary with the Dvorak layout) I have found it prudent to leave most
>> of the rest of RMS's mnemonic bindings alone. What you may end up with
>> after all your work is just aXahLee minor mode. Anyway, I do agree
>> that eventually some attention should be given to ergonomic issues but
>> the problems are so vast especially when internationalization is taken
>> into account that the job will have to be given to a committee rather
>> than an individual.
>>
>> Ed
>
> just wrote up some reasons about the emacs menu usability.
>
> its based on screenshots and drawings... so here
>
>   http://xahlee.org/emacs/modernization_menu.html
> or
>  http://xahlee.blogspot.com/2009/02/emacs-menu-usability-problem.html
>  (image here wont show unless you have it cached)
>
>   Xah
> ∑ http://xahlee.org/
>
> ☄

Thanks, Xah. Some of these suggestions might deserve consideration but
the vast (as you say) majority should probably be left as they are. The
only ones I am sure I could do without are Eliza, Games, and Read Man
page. The latter doesn't work at all but that's because I'm on w32 and
the man directories don't exist. The same help is available on info
pages or on the web. I try to avoid using the menu bar as much as
possible and I see it more as training wheels for those used to running
software with that interface or those who can't type or who refuse to
learn to type. It would be nice if ALL menu items had references to the
non-menu key combos or to the underlying functions. For example, to Open
Recent from the keyboard, all I have been able to come up with so far is:
(defalias 'rof 'recentf-open-files)

Ed