all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Search'n'replace intermittent error
@ 2022-02-03 15:40 Sergey Organov
From: Sergey Organov @ 2022-02-03 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

Sometimes, when I run query-replace (M-%) in a buffer, I get an error
that, after turning debug-on-error to 't, looks like this:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (args-out-of-range #<buffer Makefile<linux-driver>> 0 1)
  buffer-substring-no-properties(0 1)
  perform-replace("br_rev" "BR_REV" t nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil)
  query-replace("br_rev" "BR_REV" nil nil nil nil nil)
  funcall-interactively(query-replace "br_rev" "BR_REV" nil nil nil nil nil)
  call-interactively(query-replace nil nil)
  command-execute(query-replace)

Does this ring a bell? I've tried to look at the code, but it's rather
convoluted and I can't easily figure how to fix it.

In GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.14)
 of 2020-03-26, modified by Debian built on lcy01-amd64-020
System Description:     Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS

Thanks,
-- Sergey Organov

* Re: Search'n'replace intermittent error
@ 2022-02-03 20:32 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2022-02-03 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergey Organov; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Sergey Organov <sorganov@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Sergey,

> Sometimes, when I run query-replace (M-%) in a buffer, I get an error
> that, after turning debug-on-error to 't, looks like this:
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (args-out-of-range #<buffer Makefile<linux-driver>> 0 1)
>   buffer-substring-no-properties(0 1)
>   perform-replace("br_rev" "BR_REV" t nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil)
>   query-replace("br_rev" "BR_REV" nil nil nil nil nil)
>   funcall-interactively(query-replace "br_rev" "BR_REV" nil nil nil nil nil)
>   call-interactively(query-replace nil nil)
>   command-execute(query-replace)
>
> Does this ring a bell?

I think this is bug#36328 which has been fixed in at least 27.1.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Search'n'replace intermittent error
@ 2022-02-03 22:40   ` Sergey Organov
From: Sergey Organov @ 2022-02-03 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> Sergey Organov <sorganov@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Hi Sergey,
>
>> Sometimes, when I run query-replace (M-%) in a buffer, I get an error
>> that, after turning debug-on-error to 't, looks like this:
>>
>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (args-out-of-range #<buffer
>> Makefile<linux-driver>> 0 1)
>>   buffer-substring-no-properties(0 1)
>>   perform-replace("br_rev" "BR_REV" t nil nil nil nil nil nil nil
>> nil)
>>   query-replace("br_rev" "BR_REV" nil nil nil nil nil)
>>   funcall-interactively(query-replace "br_rev" "BR_REV" nil nil nil
>> nil nil)
>>   call-interactively(query-replace nil nil)
>>   command-execute(query-replace)
>>
>> Does this ring a bell?
>
> I think this is bug#36328 which has been fixed in at least 27.1.

Yeah, exactly! Thanks a lot!

--
Sergey Organov