all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Can't remove holidays
@ 2017-11-21 17:45 John Martin
From: John Martin @ 2017-11-21 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have the following in my .emacs file in order not to show US holidays

(setq holiday-general-holidays nil)
(setq general-holidays nil)

I should probably only need one of the above lines but I'm not sure which.
Neither line works, I still see US holidays.

The following lines come from the holidays.el.gz file and appears
to describe my problem however I don't know how to correct it,
how do I tell what's being autoloaded?

;; This one should not be autoloaded, else .emacs changes of
;; holiday-general-holidays etc have no effect.
;; FIXME should have some :set-after.
(defcustom calendar-holidays
  (append holiday-general-holidays holiday-local-holidays
      holiday-other-holidays holiday-christian-holidays
        holiday-hebrew-holidays holiday-islamic-holidays
           holiday-bahai-holidays holiday-oriental-holidays
              holiday-solar-holidays)

Presumably I shouldn't be touching the files in the emacs distro,
any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

--
John

* Re: Can't remove holidays
@ 2017-11-21 18:21 ` Teemu Likonen
       [not found] ` <mailman.4259.1511288490.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2017-11-21 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Martin; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

John Martin [2017-11-21 17:45:53Z] wrote:

> The following lines come from the holidays.el.gz file and appears to
> describe my problem however I don't know how to correct it, how do I
> tell what's being autoloaded?

> (defcustom calendar-holidays
>   (append holiday-general-holidays holiday-local-holidays [...]

> Presumably I shouldn't be touching the files in the emacs distro, any
> ideas what I'm doing wrong?

You can set calendar-holidays directly in your init files. Use value
nil, for example, or append your preferred holiday variables.

--
/// Teemu Likonen   - .-..   <https://keybase.io/tlikonen> //
// PGP: 4E10 55DC 84E9 DFF6 13D7 8557 719D 69D3 2453 9450 ///

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Can't remove holidays
       [not found] ` <mailman.4259.1511288490.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2017-11-21 19:15   ` John Martin
From: John Martin @ 2017-11-21 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2017-11-21, Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> wrote:
> --=-=-=
>
> John Martin [2017-11-21 17:45:53Z] wrote:
>
>> The following lines come from the holidays.el.gz file and appears to
>> describe my problem however I don't know how to correct it, how do I
>> tell what's being autoloaded?
>
>> (defcustom calendar-holidays
>>   (append holiday-general-holidays holiday-local-holidays [...]
>
>> Presumably I shouldn't be touching the files in the emacs distro, any
>> ideas what I'm doing wrong?
>
> You can set calendar-holidays directly in your init files. Use value
> nil, for example, or append your preferred holiday variables.

Thanks Teemu, I'm trying to remove holidays not add them

--
John

* Re: Can't remove holidays
       [not found] ` <mailman.4259.1511288490.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2017-11-21 21:38 ` Michael Heerdegen
       [not found] ` <mailman.4278.1511300318.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2017-11-21 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs, John Martin

John Martin <johnmartin99@invalid.tt.net> writes:

> I have the following in my .emacs file in order not to show US holidays
>
> (setq holiday-general-holidays nil)
> (setq general-holidays nil)

Maybe you are doing these setq's after `calendar-holidays' already has
been defined?

Michael.

* Re: Can't remove holidays
       [not found] ` <mailman.4278.1511300318.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2017-11-21 23:31   ` John Martin
From: John Martin @ 2017-11-21 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2017-11-21, Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de> wrote:
> John Martin <johnmartin99@invalid.tt.net> writes:
>
>> I have the following in my .emacs file in order not to show US holidays
>>
>> (setq holiday-general-holidays nil)
>> (setq general-holidays nil)
>
> Maybe you are doing these setq's after `calendar-holidays' already has
> been defined?

That was exactly it Michael, I didn't realise the order was significant.
Many thanks.

--
John