all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs beginner, Meta-a and Meta-e not working in all files.
@ 2014-11-30 19:58 scottfrancis87
From: scottfrancis87 @ 2014-11-30 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Very new Emacs user here. I have just been going through the tutorial trying to get familiar with the important key combos and one in particular is causing me an issue. It seems that the Meta-a and Meta-e does not want to always work. In the tutorial I works like intended, going to the beginning and end of sentence respectively. But when I made a new file and typed out a couple paragraphs to practice moving around in my own file, using those combos will just move me from the beginning and end of the paragraph. I am on windows using emacs in the command prompt and with two buffers up in the window it works fine in the tutorial but not my file. Anyone know what's going on here, I would appreciate the help!

Scott

* Re: Emacs beginner, Meta-a and Meta-e not working in all files.
@ 2014-11-30 20:05 ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2014-11-30 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

scottfrancis87@gmail.com wrote:

> Very new Emacs user here. I have just been going through the tutorial
> trying to get familiar with the important key combos and one in
> particular is causing me an issue. It seems that the Meta-a and Meta-e
> does not want to always work. In the tutorial I works like intended,
> going to the beginning and end of sentence respectively. But when I
> made a new file and typed out a couple paragraphs to practice moving
> around in my own file, using those combos will just move me from the
> beginning and end of the paragraph. I am on windows using emacs in the
> command prompt and with two buffers up in the window it works fine in
> the tutorial but not my file. Anyone know what's going on here, I
> would appreciate the help!

Read the section on sentences in the Emacs manual:

C-h i m Emacs RET m Sentences RET

That should tell you what you want to know.

--
Joost Kremers                                   joostkremers@fastmail.fm
EN:SiS(9)

* Re: Emacs beginner, Meta-a and Meta-e not working in all files.
@ 2014-11-30 20:15 ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2014-11-30 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2014-11-30, at 20:58, scottfrancis87@gmail.com wrote:

> Very new Emacs user here. I have just been going through the tutorial trying to get familiar with the important key combos and one in particular is causing me an issue. It seems that the Meta-a and Meta-e does not want to always work. In the tutorial I works like intended, going to the beginning and end of sentence respectively. But when I made a new file and typed out a couple paragraphs to practice moving around in my own file, using those combos will just move me from the beginning and end of the paragraph. I am on windows using emacs in the command prompt and with two buffers up in the window it works fine in the tutorial but not my file. Anyone know what's going on here, I would appreciate the help!

Welcome to Emacs-land!

Did you type two spaces after the period ending the sentence?  If you
don't want to do this, try

M-x customize-option RET sentence-end-double-space RET

or put (setq sentence-end-double-space nil) in your init file.

> Scott

Hth,

--
Marcin Borkowski