all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Top/bottom margin?
@ 2014-03-26 20:58 Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2014-03-26 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

A window can have right and left margins, but is there something similar
for the top and bottom of a window?

I've been thinking of creating a small window at the top displaying an
empty buffer and making it dedicated, but I doubt that would be very
robust... Perhaps there's a better way?

--
Joost Kremers                                   joostkremers@fastmail.fm
EN:SiS(9)

* Re: Top/bottom margin?
@ 2014-03-26 21:11 ` Allan Streib
       [not found] ` <mailman.18281.1395868308.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Allan Streib @ 2014-03-26 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kremers, help-gnu-emacs

Joost Kremers <joost.m.kremers@gmail.com> writes:

> A window can have right and left margins, but is there something similar
> for the top and bottom of a window?

It's not exactly a margin, and it applies to the frame not a window, but
I use the internalBorder X resource to add some space around the edges.

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/X-Resources.html

Allan

* Re: Top/bottom margin?
@ 2014-03-26 22:01 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
       [not found] ` <mailman.18281.1395868308.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2014-03-26 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Joost Kremers <joost.m.kremers@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> A window can have right and left margins, but is there something similar
> for the top and bottom of a window?
>
> I've been thinking of creating a small window at the top displaying an
> empty buffer and making it dedicated, but I doubt that would be very
> robust... Perhaps there's a better way?

C-h v header-line-format RET

Try: (setq header-line-format "Hello World!")

Use:

     M-x customize-face RET header-line RET

and set the Height to change the height of the header line.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
http://www.informatimago.com/

* Re: Top/bottom margin?
       [not found] ` <mailman.18281.1395868308.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-03-27  0:56   ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2014-03-27  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Allan Streib wrote:
> Joost Kremers <joost.m.kremers@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> A window can have right and left margins, but is there something similar
>> for the top and bottom of a window?
>
> It's not exactly a margin, and it applies to the frame not a window, but
> I use the internalBorder X resource to add some space around the edges.
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/X-Resources.html

Mmm, I see there's a frame parameter with that same name, which I can
use for my purpose. Thanks!