all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* minor annoyance with automatic insertion of encoding string
@ 2014-01-30  0:37 varro
       [not found] ` <mailman.13141.1391046319.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: varro @ 2014-01-30  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I've noticed that when I insert a non-ASCII character into one of my
source files, Emacs automatically inserts an encoding directive like:

# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-

when I save the file.  I assume this has something to do with my
having:

(setq-default buffer-file-coding-system 'utf-8-unix)

in my .emacs file, but I don't understand the reason for this and find
it a bit annoying.  Can anyone enlighten me on why this is happening?

--
Will

* Re: minor annoyance with automatic insertion of encoding string
@ 2014-01-30  1:42 ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found] ` <mailman.13141.1391046319.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-01-30  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I've noticed that when I insert a non-ASCII character into one of my
> source files, Emacs automatically inserts an encoding directive like:
> # -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
> when I save the file.

AFAIK, this should not happen with a vanilla Emacs, so it probably comes
from one of the customizations you're using.

@ 2014-01-30 20:40   ` varro
From: varro @ 2014-01-30 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> I've noticed that when I insert a non-ASCII character into one of my
>> source files, Emacs automatically inserts an encoding directive like:
>> # -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
>> when I save the file.
>
> AFAIK, this should not happen with a vanilla Emacs, so it probably comes
> from one of the customizations you're using.

On further investigation, it seems to be feature of ruby-mode, and happens
even if I remove my .emacs file.

--
Will