all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* M-a broken but M-e works on external keyboard only
@ 2013-05-09  2:33 Joseph B
From: Joseph B @ 2013-05-09  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I am using a laptop. This problem appears only when I plug in my Logitech
Wave keyboard, and only appeared today. I have made no changes that
would've precipitated this error, to my knowledge.

Description of error:
M-a stopped working. Nothing happens when I press it. M-e and other M-
commands still work.

Attempts to fix:
Googled - nothing relevant. Meta key not broken, only one specific
instance.
Updated Logitech keyboard driver - extra keys on keyboard now work, M-a
still broken
Restarted. No change

Improbable suspicion:
Could it be caused by ConnectedText? It's been installed a long time and
started using several days ago. It also captures a M-a command. But this
error persists even after restarting with CT never turned on. And is
limited only to the external keyboard, not the internal laptop keyboard.
Makes no sense.

Second improbable suspicion:
I've added a few lines to my .emacs over the last few days. None of them
involve M-a. But I could imagine one of them somehow kicking to life and
breaking M-a in this weird way. Try disabling recently added lines and
restarting Emacs?

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
JB

--
Ignore the following. It is a nonsense sentence that disables Google ads
from displaying next to my emails by triggering sensitive keywords.

I enjoy the massacre of ads. This sentence will slaughter ads without a
messy bloodbath.

* Re: M-a broken but M-e works on external keyboard only
       [not found] <mailman.25362.1368066951.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-05-09  7:54 ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2013-05-09  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Joseph B wrote:
> I am using a laptop. This problem appears only when I plug in my Logitech
> Wave keyboard, and only appeared today. I have made no changes that
> would've precipitated this error, to my knowledge.
>
> Description of error:
> M-a stopped working. Nothing happens when I press it. M-e and other M-
> commands still work.
[...]
> Any suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.

Have you tried C-h c M-a to see if the key is ever registering? Have you
tried another external keyboard?

It sounds to me as if your external keybord is acting up. Though it sure
is weird that the a key works, the meta key works, but the combination
doesn't...

--
Joost Kremers                                   joostkremers@fastmail.fm
EN:SiS(9)

* Re: M-a broken but M-e works on external keyboard only
@ 2013-05-09  8:17 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2013-05-09  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph B; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 09.05.2013 um 04:33 schrieb Joseph B:

> Any suggestions welcome.

First type C-q and then press M-a. When an input event arrives at GNU Emacs, then it will be recorded. I get something like á…

Then try the same with your old keyboard and also without that extra software!

--
Greetings

  Pete

What is this talk of 'release?' Klingons do not make software 'releases.'  Our software 'escapes,' leaving a bloody trail of designers and quality assurance people in its wake.

* Re: M-a broken but M-e works on external keyboard only
@ 2013-05-09  9:03   ` Joseph B
From: Joseph B @ 2013-05-09  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

on internal keyboard: á
on external keyboard: nothing. keystroke does not register. stays frozen at
C-q - in the command line. this happens for both alt keys. M-e works: å.
"a" works.

on external keyboard in a different program: M-a also doesn't work now. Hm.
It was working yesterday. I guess this is no longer an Emacs only problem,
and now a keyboard problem. Time for a new one.