all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: creating a sub-menu
       [not found] <mailman.21496.1362523165.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-03-06  1:42 ` Joost Kremers
       [not found]   ` <mailman.21539.1362570279.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joost Kremers @ 2013-03-06  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

ken wrote:
> Trying to create a sub-menu under "Edit".  Got part of the way there,
> but still missing something.
>
> (define-key menu-bar-edit-menu [insert-xascii-chars]
>    '(menu-item "Insert non-ASCII characters" xascii
>
>     (xascii  "\C-xaa"   "ä"        "ä` (ä)"          ("ä"))
>     (xascii  "\C-xaA"   "Ä"        "Ä` (Ä)"          ("Ä"))
>     (xascii  "\C-xao"   "ö"        "ö` (ö)"          ("ö"))
>     (xascii  "\C-xaO"   "Ö"        "Ö` (Ö)"          ("Ö"))
>     (xascii  "\C-xau"   "ü"        "ü` (ü)"          ("ü"))
>     (xascii  "\C-xaU"   "Ü"        "Ü` (Ü)"          ("Ü"))
>     (xascii  "\C-xas"   "ß"        "ß` (ß)"          ("ß"))
>     (xascii  "\C-xa<"   "«"        "«` («)"          ("«"))
>
> Above yields error:
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument arrayp xascii)

dunno about the error, but if all you want is to easily type German, why
don't you use an input method? `M-x set-input-method latin9-prefix RET'
and you can type "a to get ä, ~s to get ß, ~< to get «, etc.

(info "(emacs) Input Methods") for details.

HTH

--
Joost Kremers                                   joostkremers@fastmail.fm
EN:SiS(9)

* Re: creating a sub-menu
@ 2013-03-06 11:44   ` ken
       [not found]   ` <mailman.21539.1362570279.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: ken @ 2013-03-06 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kremers, GNU Emacs List

n 03/05/2013 08:42 PM Joost Kremers wrote:
> ken wrote:
>> Trying to create a sub-menu under "Edit".  Got part of the way there,
>> but still missing something.
>>
>> (define-key menu-bar-edit-menu [insert-xascii-chars]
>>     '(menu-item "Insert non-ASCII characters" xascii
>>
>>      (xascii  "\C-xaa"   "ä"        "ä` (ä)"          ("ä"))
>>      (xascii  "\C-xaA"   "Ä"        "Ä` (Ä)"          ("Ä"))
>>      (xascii  "\C-xao"   "ö"        "ö` (ö)"          ("ö"))
>>      (xascii  "\C-xaO"   "Ö"        "Ö` (Ö)"          ("Ö"))
>>      (xascii  "\C-xau"   "ü"        "ü` (ü)"          ("ü"))
>>      (xascii  "\C-xaU"   "Ü"        "Ü` (Ü)"          ("Ü"))
>>      (xascii  "\C-xas"   "ß"        "ß` (ß)"          ("ß"))
>>      (xascii  "\C-xa<"   "«"        "«` («)"          ("«"))
>>
>> Above yields error:
>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument arrayp xascii)
>
> dunno about the error, but if all you want is to easily type German, why
> don't you use an input method? `M-x set-input-method latin9-prefix RET'
> and you can type "a to get ä, ~s to get ß, ~< to get «, etc.
>
> (info "(emacs) Input Methods") for details.
>
> HTH

Thanks for your response, Joost.  But I already have an easier way than
that to change the input method, one which takes just two mouse
clicks... and then another two mouse clicks to return to my normal input
method.  But I want a way so that all I need do is "C-xaa" to get 'ä'--
so I can type this and other characters without breaking the flow of my
typing.  I want these listed in the menu also because I might not
remember all the key combos for all the characters.  (I'll likely add
more in future.)

* Re: creating a sub-menu
       [not found]   ` <mailman.21539.1362570279.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-03-06 20:55     ` Joost Kremers
       [not found]       ` <mailman.21622.1362648982.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joost Kremers @ 2013-03-06 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

ken wrote:
> Thanks for your response, Joost.  But I already have an easier way than
> that to change the input method, one which takes just two mouse
> clicks... and then another two mouse clicks to return to my normal input
> method.

That's too much. It's also the wrong input medium. ;-) Toggling the
input method can be done with `C-\', which IMHO is much much easier and
quicker than using the mouse.

>  But I want a way so that all I need do is "C-xaa" to get 'ä'--
> so I can type this and other characters without breaking the flow of my
> typing.

Using C-\ will allow you to do just that. (In fact, I don't see any
reason why one would want to disable the input method. When I type
German or Dutch, I just toggle the input method and keep it until I kill
the relevant buffer.)

>  I want these listed in the menu also because I might not
> remember all the key combos for all the characters.  (I'll likely add
> more in future.)

Well, I can't really help with the menu (I'm not even sure what this
xascii is...) but I do know that this error:

>>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument arrayp xascii)

tells you that Emacs is expecting an array but getting xascii. In this
case the array Emacs is expecting must probably be either a string or a
vector, since a boolean vector or a char table doesn't seem to make
sense in a menu.

Don't know if that helps, though...

--
Joost Kremers                                   joostkremers@fastmail.fm
EN:SiS(9)

* OT w/ misunderstanding Re: creating a sub-menu
@ 2013-03-07  9:36       ` ken
       [not found]       ` <mailman.21622.1362648982.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: ken @ 2013-03-07  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Joost,

For some reason your replies (from the outset of this conversation)
aren't showing up as part of one and the same thread.

On 03/06/2013 03:55 PM Joost Kremers wrote:
> ken wrote:
>> Thanks for your response, Joost.  But I already have an easier way than
>> that to change the input method, one which takes just two mouse
>> clicks... and then another two mouse clicks to return to my normal input
>> method.
>
> That's too much. It's also the wrong input medium. ;-) Toggling the
> input method can be done with `C-\', which IMHO is much much easier and
> quicker than using the mouse.

Thanks, Joost.  I have used that in the past.  It's okay if I'm using
just two input methods, switching back and forth between them.  What if,
though, I'm using three or four input methods?  And if I need to enter
the '༣' character or the '§' or '¾' or 'ज्ञ' characters, how do I know
which input method I need to invoke?  So it would be much easier to list
such characters in a menu which shows their corresponding key
invocations so I can use them also.

More importantly, the way that "I already have" is built into my Linux
system.  I don't have to do anything for it to be there, because it's
already there.  It's not something I need to do any kind of development
on.  This already-existing functionality, called SCIM, also allows me to
change to any one of 40 or 70 other input methods... and probably more
in future as development on it continues.  And scim works for *all* apps
on the entire system-- any and all web browsers, email apps, terminal
windows, other editors I might use, including audio and video editors,
etc., etc.--, not simply emacs.

So whether the emacs way is better or easier than scim is a moot point.
  SCIM is already installed and working and quite useful.

>>   But I want a way so that all I need do is "C-xaa" to get 'ä'--
>> so I can type this and other characters without breaking the flow of my
>> typing.

This IMO is even easier than using SCIM and is what I'm trying to figure
out how to code.  Often I need to type just a single character.  In such
cases, switching input methods (regardless how it's done) is too much.

> Don't know if that helps, though...

Thanks for responding, but no, none of that was at all helpful.  I still
want to create the sub-menu I originally described (the partial code for
which no longer exists in this thread) and so still would like
assistance formulating that code.  It would appear though that no one
here knows how that would be done... or perhaps they're currently busy
doing other things.  Getting *some* kind of reply is often better than
dead silence, so conceivably yours were better than all the others I got.

* Re: OT w/ misunderstanding Re: creating a sub-menu
       [not found]       ` <mailman.21622.1362648982.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-03-11 19:47         ` Joost Kremers
       [not found]           ` <mailman.21918.1363080995.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joost Kremers @ 2013-03-11 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Ken,

ken wrote:
> Joost,
>
> For some reason your replies (from the outset of this conversation)
> aren't showing up as part of one and the same thread.

I've been posting from two different computers, which may the the cause.

> On 03/06/2013 03:55 PM Joost Kremers wrote:
> Thanks for responding, but no, none of that was at all helpful.  I still
> want to create the sub-menu I originally described (the partial code for
> which no longer exists in this thread) and so still would like
> assistance formulating that code.

I apologize for wasting your time. :-) To make up for it, I wanted to go
and figure out why your code wasn't working, but it seems the answer has
already been posted. Hope you get it working!

--

@ 2013-03-12  9:36           ` ken
       [not found]           ` <mailman.21918.1363080995.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: ken @ 2013-03-12  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kremers; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

n 03/11/2013 03:47 PM Joost Kremers wrote:
> Hi Ken,
>
> ken wrote:
>> Joost,
>>
>> For some reason your replies (from the outset of this conversation)
>> aren't showing up as part of one and the same thread.
>
> I've been posting from two different computers, which may the the cause.

That by itself couldn't be the actual cause, not even should you be
using different email programs on those two computers.  If you click
"Reply"-- or for this particular list, "Reply All"-- the email program
should maintain the threading of the conversation automatically for you
(well, for all of us actually), regardless of which computer you do it
on, regardless where on the internet those computers reside, etc.  This
has been standard in email applications for a very long time.

In short, just click "Reply All" and everything should work fine.

>> On 03/06/2013 03:55 PM Joost Kremers wrote:
>> Thanks for responding, but no, none of that was at all helpful.  I still
>> want to create the sub-menu I originally described (the partial code for
>> which no longer exists in this thread) and so still would like
>> assistance formulating that code.
>
> I apologize for wasting your time. :-) To make up for it, I wanted to go
> and figure out why your code wasn't working, but it seems the answer has
> already been posted. Hope you get it working!

No need to apologize.  We're having a technical discussion, not a
personal one.  It would help quite a bit in this regard though if, when
you abridge the email you are replying to, the technical part of the
discussion were not edited out.  Otherwise we're hearing the sound of
one hand clapping.  If there's any doubt as to what's relevant, it would
then be best just to leave the entirety of the quoted material intact.

Also, regarding "the answer", see my reply to Steve.

@ 2013-03-12 18:14             ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2013-03-12 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

ken wrote:
>> I've been posting from two different computers, which may the the cause.
>
> That by itself couldn't be the actual cause, not even should you be
> using different email programs on those two computers.  If you click
> "Reply"-- or for this particular list, "Reply All"-- the email program
> should maintain the threading of the conversation automatically for you
> (well, for all of us actually), regardless of which computer you do it
> on, regardless where on the internet those computers reside, etc.  This
> has been standard in email applications for a very long time.

Well, I'm not actually *using* an email application. I'm reading this as
gnu.emacs.help.

> in short, just click "Reply All" and everything should work fine.

Alas, since I'm using a CLI client (slrn), I don't have a "reply all"
button. But in a news client, such a button wouldn't make much sense
anyway: any reply is a reply to all, that's what Usenet is all about.

FWIW, slrn displays all posts as one single thread, so from my point of
view, it's Thunderbird that's having trouble keeping the thread
together. (That may or may not be true, I don't know; it's just how it
looks on my end of the line.)

> No need to apologize.  We're having a technical discussion, not a
> personal one.  It would help quite a bit in this regard though if, when
> you abridge the email you are replying to, the technical part of the
> discussion were not edited out.  Otherwise we're hearing the sound of
> one hand clapping.  If there's any doubt as to what's relevant, it would
> then be best just to leave the entirety of the quoted material intact.

The context is always there in the thread, so I generally cut all
details and leave enough so that the quoted text provides a summary of
what has been said. Of course it's always possible I snipped too much,
but generally I'm annoyed by messages where the first non-quoted text is
below the bottom of my screen when I open them... And since the
context is generally just a few keystrokes away (for me, anyway), I tend
to think that less is more.

> Also, regarding "the answer", see my reply to Steve.

Yeah, I read it. If I find some time, I might look into it a bit more,
but that probably won't be today or tomorrow...