all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* nXhtml - Emacs mode problems
@ 2013-03-06  2:23 Carlos Carcamo
From: Carlos Carcamo @ 2013-03-06  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello to everyone!
I'm new in emacs and also in this list, a few days ago I've been using
emacs for programming some sml code using the sml-mode, since I've
been using it, I've been very interested in use emacs for web
development.

I looked for information about using emacs for web development and I
found this "nXhtml - Emacs Utilities for Web Development"

I installed nXhtml and everything seemed to be fine, but when I open a
file with extention .html, php or  js, I allways got this warnings:

   Warning: `font-lock-beginning-of-syntax-function' is an obsolete variable (as
        of 23.3); use `syntax-begin-function' instead.
   Warning: `font-lock-syntactic-keywords' is an obsolete variable (as of 24.1);
       use `syntax-propertize-function' instead.

I don't know what that means, and I don't know how to fix it.

I need some of your help with this problem, I don't know if it is a
big problem or not but something isn't work correctly.

I'm using emacs 24.2

I hope you can help me, thanks in advance!

--
"El desarrollo no es material es un estado de conciencia metal"

* Re: nXhtml - Emacs mode problems
@ 2013-03-06 15:11 ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2013-03-06 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 06.03.2013 03:23, schrieb Carlos Carcamo:
> Hello to everyone!
> I'm new in emacs and also in this list, a few days ago I've been using
> emacs for programming some sml code using the sml-mode, since I've
> been using it, I've been very interested in use emacs for web
> development.
>
> I looked for information about using emacs for web development and I
> found this "nXhtml - Emacs Utilities for Web Development"
>
> I installed nXhtml and everything seemed to be fine, but when I open a
> file with extention .html, php or  js, I allways got this warnings:
>
>     Warning: `font-lock-beginning-of-syntax-function' is an obsolete variable (as
>          of 23.3); use `syntax-begin-function' instead.
>     Warning: `font-lock-syntactic-keywords' is an obsolete variable (as of 24.1);
>         use `syntax-propertize-function' instead.
>
> I don't know what that means, and I don't know how to fix it.
>
> I need some of your help with this problem, I don't know if it is a
> big problem or not but something isn't work correctly.
>
> I'm using emacs 24.2
>
> I hope you can help me, thanks in advance!

You may safely ignore that kind of warnings, addressed to developers, not users.
As it's an inconvenience for users, IMHO it's a bug to that extend.

* Re: nXhtml - Emacs mode problems
@ 2013-03-06 17:00   ` Carlos Carcamo
From: Carlos Carcamo @ 2013-03-06 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

2013/3/6 Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@easy-emacs.de>:
> Am 06.03.2013 03:23, schrieb Carlos Carcamo:
>
>> Hello to everyone!
>> I'm new in emacs and also in this list, a few days ago I've been using
>> emacs for programming some sml code using the sml-mode, since I've
>> been using it, I've been very interested in use emacs for web
>> development.
>>
>> I looked for information about using emacs for web development and I
>> found this "nXhtml - Emacs Utilities for Web Development"
>>
>> I installed nXhtml and everything seemed to be fine, but when I open a
>> file with extention .html, php or  js, I allways got this warnings:
>>
>>     Warning: `font-lock-beginning-of-syntax-function' is an obsolete
>> variable (as
>>          of 23.3); use `syntax-begin-function' instead.
>>     Warning: `font-lock-syntactic-keywords' is an obsolete variable (as of
>> 24.1);
>>         use `syntax-propertize-function' instead.
>>
>> I don't know what that means, and I don't know how to fix it.
>>
>> I need some of your help with this problem, I don't know if it is a
>> big problem or not but something isn't work correctly.
>>
>> I'm using emacs 24.2
>>
>> I hope you can help me, thanks in advance!
>>

> You may safely ignore that kind of warnings, addressed to developers, not
> users.
> As it's an inconvenience for users, IMHO it's a bug to that extend.

Ok.

I've been using it nXhtml mode in emacs without problems...

Is there any way to hide that warnings?

--

@ 2013-03-06 20:07     ` W. Greenhouse
       [not found]       ` <mailman.21586.1362605059.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: W. Greenhouse @ 2013-03-06 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Carlos,

> Ok.
>
> I've been using it nXhtml mode in emacs without problems...
>
> Is there any way to hide that warnings?

Try (setq warning-minimum-level :error).  Or customize this variable
graphically, using M-x customize-variable warning-minimum-level.

Either way, this will suppress "warnings" (which are, as mentioned
previously, really just indications to a developer of badness in their
code), and show only "errors" (which warn the user that something has
gone wrong).

Meanwhile, please be a good citizen and also report the bug to the
nXhtml developer. :)

--
Regards,
WGG

* Re: nXhtml - Emacs mode problems
@ 2013-03-06 20:20       ` Andreas Röhler
       [not found]       ` <mailman.21586.1362605059.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2013-03-06 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 06.03.2013 21:07, schrieb W. Greenhouse:
> Hi Carlos,

[ ... ]
> Meanwhile, please be a good citizen and also report the bug to the
> nXhtml developer. :)

Recommend rather <bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> as destination.
The developer of nXhtml will be well aware of these warnings.

* Re: nXhtml - Emacs mode problems
@ 2013-03-07  2:06         ` Carlos Carcamo
From: Carlos Carcamo @ 2013-03-07  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

2013/3/6 Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@easy-emacs.de>:
> Am 06.03.2013 21:07, schrieb W. Greenhouse:
>>
>> Hi Carlos,
>>
> [ ... ]
>
>> Meanwhile, please be a good citizen and also report the bug to the
>> nXhtml developer. :)
>>

> Recommend rather <bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> as destination.
> The developer of nXhtml will be well aware of these warnings.

Thanks to all of you!

Now I'm happy to use emacs for web development, is not to easy but I like it!

--

@ 2013-03-07  7:55         ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2013-03-07  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andreas Röhler wrote:
> Am 06.03.2013 21:07, schrieb W. Greenhouse:
>> Hi Carlos,
>>
> [ ... ]
>> Meanwhile, please be a good citizen and also report the bug to the
>> nXhtml developer. :)
>>

> Recommend rather <bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> as destination.
> The developer of nXhtml will be well aware of these warnings.

Not if they're developing on Emacs prior to 23.3, which, judging by the
nxhtml website, may well be the case. Or, more accurately, the latest
release of nxhtml was made at the time of Emacs 23.2. Development since
then seems to be very low (though not entirely zero).

--
Joost Kremers                                   joostkremers@fastmail.fm
EN:SiS(9)

* Re: nXhtml - Emacs mode problems
@ 2013-03-07 10:40           ` Andreas Röhler
       [not found]             ` <mailman.21626.1362654805.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2013-03-07 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 07.03.2013 08:55, schrieb Joost Kremers:
> Andreas Röhler wrote:
>> Am 06.03.2013 21:07, schrieb W. Greenhouse:
>>> Hi Carlos,
>>>
>> [ ... ]
>>> Meanwhile, please be a good citizen and also report the bug to the
>>> nXhtml developer. :)
>>>

>> Recommend rather <bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> as destination.
>> The developer of nXhtml will be well aware of these warnings.
>
> Not if they're developing on Emacs prior to 23.3, which, judging by the
> nxhtml website, may well be the case. Or, more accurately, the latest
> release of nxhtml was made at the time of Emacs 23.2. Development since
> then seems to be very low (though not entirely zero).

IMHO users should not be bothered with that kind of warnings.
So far focus not about developing here.

* Re: nXhtml - Emacs mode problems
@ 2013-03-07 11:13             ` Andreas Röhler
       [not found]             ` <mailman.21626.1362654805.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2013-03-07 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 07.03.2013 11:40, schrieb Andreas Röhler:
> Am 07.03.2013 08:55, schrieb Joost Kremers:
>> Andreas Röhler wrote:
>>>>
>>> [ ... ]
>>>>

>>> Recommend rather <bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> as destination.
>>> The developer of nXhtml will be well aware of these warnings.
>>
>> Not if they're developing on Emacs prior to 23.3, which, judging by the
>> nxhtml website, may well be the case. Or, more accurately, the latest
>> release of nxhtml was made at the time of Emacs 23.2. Development since
>> then seems to be very low (though not entirely zero).
>>

> IMHO users should not be bothered with that kind of warnings.
> So far focus not about developing here.

Hi Joost,

sorry for the typo, please read:

So far focus _is_ not about developing here.

Andreas

* Re: nXhtml - Emacs mode problems
@ 2013-03-09 13:16 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-03-09 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>    Warning: `font-lock-beginning-of-syntax-function' is an obsolete variable (as
>         of 23.3); use `syntax-begin-function' instead.
>    Warning: `font-lock-syntactic-keywords' is an obsolete variable (as of 24.1);
>        use `syntax-propertize-function' instead.

> I don't know what that means,

It means that nxhtml uses font-lock-beginning-of-syntax-function and
font-lock-syntactic-keywords both of which have been marked obsolete.

> and I don't know how to fix it.

There's nothing to fix.

> I need some of your help with this problem, I don't know if it is a
> big problem or not but something isn't work correctly.

Notice it says "Warning".  It's just that.

> I hope you can help me, thanks in advance!

IIRC The message is only shown during compilation, so I presume that if
you explicitly compile the nxhtml package, the message won't recur any more.

* Re: nXhtml - Emacs mode problems
@ 2013-03-09 14:53   ` Carlos Carcamo
From: Carlos Carcamo @ 2013-03-09 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

2013/3/9 Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>:
>>    Warning: `font-lock-beginning-of-syntax-function' is an obsolete variable (as
>>         of 23.3); use `syntax-begin-function' instead.
>>    Warning: `font-lock-syntactic-keywords' is an obsolete variable (as of 24.1);
>>        use `syntax-propertize-function' instead.
>
>> I don't know what that means,
>
> It means that nxhtml uses font-lock-beginning-of-syntax-function and
> font-lock-syntactic-keywords both of which have been marked obsolete.
>
>> and I don't know how to fix it.
>
> There's nothing to fix.
>
>> I need some of your help with this problem, I don't know if it is a
>> big problem or not but something isn't work correctly.
>
> Notice it says "Warning".  It's just that.
>
>> I hope you can help me, thanks in advance!
>
> IIRC The message is only shown during compilation, so I presume that if
> you explicitly compile the nxhtml package, the message won't recur any more.
>

>         Stefan

As a many of you have said, that's just warnings!
I'm happy using nXhtml in emacs and I'm not having any problems

--

@ 2013-03-11 19:45               ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2013-03-11 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andreas Röhler wrote:
> Am 07.03.2013 11:40, schrieb Andreas Röhler:

>>> Not if they're developing on Emacs prior to 23.3, which, judging by the
>>> nxhtml website, may well be the case. Or, more accurately, the latest
>>> release of nxhtml was made at the time of Emacs 23.2. Development since
>>> then seems to be very low (though not entirely zero).
>>>

>> IMHO users should not be bothered with that kind of warnings.
[...]
> So far focus _is_ not about developing here.

Yes, I get your point, and you're right, of course. I just wanted to
point out that the developer(s) of nXhtml may very well not be aware of
the issue the OP ran into, because the latest release of nXhtml was done
at a time when the relevant variables weren't obsolete yet.